Author Topic: Won't take first bottle  (Read 11292 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Won't take first bottle
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 13:26:39 pm »
Congrats!! Exciting news!!  I swore I wasn't going to let the 'small stuff' drive me crazy with #2....ha!  Hilarious.

Ya you might be right, I just figured since it had been nearly 12 hours since she last ate she'd be starving, apparently not.  So I fed at 5:30 and she took the 3oz, she had breakfast at 7:30am and down for a nap at 9am.  She wasn't screaming for food so I didn't top her up.  I'm hoping that she makes up for it around 11 and takes a good feed then.  FX!  I did try to resettle her at 5:30am after her feed but that of course didn't work. 

This gives me hope though, I've thought for a while now that she doesn't need a NF since it was usually small anyway, and that with the introduction of solids as long as her routine was good we could drop it.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 01:45:07 am »
Ended up with:

5:30 - 3oz
11 - 5oz
3:30 - 6oz
7 - 6oz

So that's about normal, she doesn't have a massive intake and never has.  Steady at 48th percentile from birth.  I say 6oz but it is really more like 7...180mls of water and once I add the formula it increases the volume to 7oz.  And she also ate 3 meals today.  We'll see what happens tonight!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 08:23:47 am »
When you count only water it's 20oz, with milk (as I always counted!!!) it's 22oz. It's above the minimum which is 18oz. If you add 1-3os with a cereal for breakfast or dinner you have 23-25oz which is even better. If she is not waking for more, and refuse more, I wouldn't change much being honest...:).

Maybe if you give her water and she drinks much I would consider changing that to milk. Wdyt?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 10:18:42 am »
She STTN again from 7pm-6am...no wakings and no feeds!  Yay! So I definitely don't think she needs more, I can add some to her cereal (which I have been doing sometimes if I remember) and I have just started giving her a sippy with water in it but she doesn't usually actually drink any she mostly just plays with the cup.  Going to try to keep the same routine going :).

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 10:49:04 am »
During first year of DS life I was doing cereal only on formula. It was 1-2oz of milk plus cereal plus fresh/purée fruit. And always thought about it as additional portion of milk shoveled into DS. Worth considering to ease your mind:). Only after a year we stopped that and started offering variety of breakfast. Other that that, night looks great:)))! If it's possible I would still not rush with a feed if she is not demanding it, so I she gets up at 6am, she may lay down in her crib (which DS was doing at that age already) and you hold on with feed until 6:30 or 7am, whatever is comfortable for you and her.
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 11:49:52 am »
I waited until 7am to feed her, she wasn't protesting so I figured she was fine and she took 6oz and I will use the remaining 1oz for her cereal this morning.  She usually eats cereal and fruit for breakfast, veggies and fruit for lunch (if we do lunch) and meat/veggies/fruit for dinner. 

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 13:52:39 pm »
Tadam!!! 6oz for breakfast:). And the question from thread title solved!!! Yupi yup:)!

Fingers crossed that it will last longer than 3 days LOL:)
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 13:59:13 pm »
I know, I'm like pleassssse don't let this be a stint just to tease me! Lol!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 18:01:27 pm »
Curious to know how this works with a later WU and 3+ hr A time...

WU 6
E 7am
Solids 8am
S 9:30-11

E 11
Solids 12
S...likely 2:30-3:30/4.  So this pushes that next feed pretty late and the late 2 bottles closer together...?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 18:56:35 pm »
At that age /I think closer to 7/8months/ I pushed that 2:30 feed to 1:45/2:00 as if DS took his bottle after 3pm he was not interested in his evening feed. But... Around 7mo we were done with 11am bottle and DS was on 3x8oz (7oz water and formula) feeds.
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 23:46:17 pm »
Ya I'm not so sure how to make it work until she goes down to 3 bottles which I don't expect to happen for another month or so, DS was 8 months I think.  With a 3-3.5hr A time and long-ish naps it makes it hard to squeeze it all in.

The wheels fell off today and nap #2 pretty much didn't happen so I was able to feed at 7-11-3-7 and her intake was decent.  I don't have hope for a good night though, OT doesn't even begin to describe it lol ::). Poor girl, not her fault...this is payback for carting her around to splash pads, beaches, and pools all day. 

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 12:07:55 pm »
Sorry I am all over you! Lol. The wheels definitely came off last night and I am just looking for a plan for today.  She had a really long NW from 3:45-6am.  I tried to not feed her knowing she wasn't hungry but eventually I was just desperate for any way to get her back to sleep.  So I fed at 5:45am and she took 3oz and was out like a light ::). She woke for the day at 7:20am so I topped her up with the rest of the bottle.

Now she won't go down for a nap until 10:30ish which means she won't be awake for the 11am bottle and take another feed until around noon...then the next one after that wouldn't be until about 4pm which would absolutely hurt the BT bottle. Or can I arrange this another way?  Ugh, this really messed everything up :(

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 12:15:18 pm »
Or maybe it would be better to feed her at 10:30 right before nap and expect her to take a smaller bottle, then 2:30pm and BT.  Hmmmm I'm thinking that is a better idea

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 12:16:59 pm »
Yep! I would go for a second option!
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 19:07:29 pm »
Yesterday was good and she STTN again from 7pm-5:15am, resettled and woke at 7am! It's like a small miracle lol.

So I figure the only way to fit in 4 bottles with these A times is to have 2 closer together, and I don't want it to be the last 2 because I want her to take a good feed before bed.  So this is what I've done today/what I'm thinking, what do you think?  So I have the 11:30 and 2:30/40 bottles closer together.

WU 7
E 7am (7oz) / solids 8am
A
S 10-11:30

E 11:30 (6oz) / solids 12:30pm
A
E 2:40 (4oz)
S 2:45 - ?

A
E - solids 4:30/5pm
E 6:45/7 (hopefully 7oz)
S 7pm