Author Topic: Won't take first bottle  (Read 11203 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 19:38:51 pm »
I would only consider moving lunch a tad later if she is not very interested. 1h after a quite big bottle she might be not interested - wdyt?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Won't take first bottle
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 19:57:23 pm »
Ya okay! She ended up eating lunch fine but it was closer to 12:45pm.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 11:24:37 am »
Okay so we've been able to not do the NF for about a week or so now, but even without a NF she is starting to slack again.  This morning she woke at 6am and I fed her at 7am and she only took 3oz (and only took 4oz before bed last night).  Yesterday she only took 16oz total.  Her feeds were:

7am - 3oz bottle and 1oz in cereal an hour later
Nap 10:30-12:30
12:30pm - 4oz (long time between feeds as she had a 3.5hr A followed by a 2hr nap)
3:30 - 4oz
Nap 3:45-4:15
7pm - 4oz

If she's not taking a NF and not taking a huge BT bottle, why is she only taking 3oz when she wakes?  I know her 3 bottles yesterday were all 3ish hours apart but with a long A and a long nap there was no other way to do it to get 4 feeds in.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 15:03:11 pm »
I think you said she's on 3 meals a day didn't you? How much does she actually eat? Could you cut back on the solids to see if she takes more?

DD2 has also really reduced her milk intake but I remember DD1 doing exactly the same at about this age.
Lauren

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 15:43:42 pm »
Sometimes we do 3 meals, sometimes not.  It really just kind of depends on the day.  My DS went to 3 bottles at 8 months and it was a long time coming, but yesterday she didn't even hit the minimum amount of ounces in a day.  She took a 2hr nap yesterday and over 2hrs today so I'm wondering if something else is up (though she seems fine).

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 15:51:05 pm »
Lindsay i will answer in the evening when DS is asleep ok:)?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 15:57:34 pm »
Yes no worries! She just took a big 7 oz bottle after her marathon nap so I'm happy!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 08:01:20 am »
Sorry that I haven't reply yesterday, but the EURO match was too exciting:).

Soooo... from one side I agree that 16oz is a a bit little, however she doesn't seem concerned if after whole night she takes 3oz ??? If she took 16oz during day and was hungry at 3am I would say - yes do everything to increase intake. Secondly I just remember that DS had periods like that with lower appetite (however he normally took around 25-26oz of milk + 3 solids, so when he was droping to 18oz it was still fine). What worked for me those days was cutting solids to 2 meals or... resigning from cereal for breakfast. When his appetite was fine he was eating 1-2 tbs of cereal for breakfast on milk with fruits. When his appetite was low, this portion made him full for next 6h so I usually gave him 1-2tbs of pure fruir puree or just nothing. I know that most of the BW here would cut the dinner, but I was going with the reco read in some book that dinner is needed to STTN and breakfast should be the last meal to introduce.

Re milk intake - we talk about time and routine... I wonder what about teat flow and temperature of milk. I don't know how hot it's now in Ontario, but if it's hot maybe try to prepare chiller milk? OR change teat-flow for a faster one? Maybe after sometime she is bored with feeding and on the other hand she could deal with a faster flow so she could gulp more? WDYT?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 10:28:40 am »
Yes that night she STTN in the 16oz so she clearly wasn't hungry if she didn't wake for a feed.  Given a "regular" day is roughly 20oz give or take it could have just been a low appetite day like you said.  Yesterday she did 3oz for the first feed but the rest were relatively normal.  She also didn't have lunch yesterday.

She is actually already on the fastest flow teat and has been so for over a month at least and we make her bottles room temperature.  I do wonder if sometimes she's bored, she's always wanting to play with her soother or the bottle.  When she's really tired she has a lot of difficulty eating, she flails her hands around, hits herself in the head...it's so odd...feeding to sleep is never an issue because she just flails around so much when she's eating if she's tired,  it's like she wants to settle/fall asleep but can't because she's eating so she gets frustrated.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 15:14:16 pm »
Curious to know if you think it is too early to drop to 3 bottles? I think I am going to hang onto 4 for a little while longer but I don't think we are far off.  Generally her morning bottle and BT bottle are the largest but the other 2 (roughly 11/11:30 and 2:30/3 timeframe) are kind of hit and miss.  I think generally her avg is 20oz but I think she would still intake the same amount of we did a 7-2:30-6:45 kind of schedule.  She's still STTN with no feeds or NW so her intake is obviously sufficient and she is growing perfectly.

She all out refused her 11am bottle today, tried again at 11:30 and no-go.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 15:43:54 pm by Lindsay27 »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2016, 08:11:52 am »
Sorry Linds, i am  on holidays! But no, it's not too early but that's my opinion! At 7mo we were for sure at 3bottles!
~Marta