Author Topic: 4 weeks old trying to start routine  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 01:48:21 am »
Had a rough night tonight .. Lo has literally been up for hours maybe 5! I know he's ot and that's why he's having a hard time but nothing's working to get him to sleep. He has a hard time with the Late afternoon nap so I fed him at 630 and put to bed he was asleep for about 30 mins and then woke and has been up for 2.5 hours! I hope it was just a fluke.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 4 weeks old trying to start routine
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 07:12:11 am »
Sorry to hear you had such a hard night.  It's so exhausting with tiny baby.
Was he crying for a lot of the night or just awake?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 01:17:50 am »
Help! Every night i feed and put lo down to sleep he usually falls asleep or is almost asleep when I put him down. Usually about 30 mins later (can be 10 mins later) he starts wimpering. I go back up see if he needs a burp and he falls asleep again in my arms I put him back and this goes on for hours. It's already been 2.5 hours of trying to put him to bed and he's been up since 4 pm! What can I do?!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 02:45:10 am »
Just had to go back up again. It's been 4 hours! Is he just totally ot by now?! How do I change this tomorrow?

Offline creations

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 05:32:57 am »
If he's taking his day naps in the swing he might find it harder to settle in his night bed in the evening for BT sleep.  Have you thought about starting the night sleep in the same place he has his day naps?  it could be that he likes the familiarity of it.

Are you able to stay with him for 20 mins after put down until he goes into a deeper sleep?  Maybe he is jolting?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 11:09:32 am »
He's always gone to bed and slept inthe bassinet just fine at night. I think it's got To be that he's so ot by then. I've tried naps in there too with no luck and with a toddler to take care of too the swing is a definite nap. Yesterday he did sleep in the bassinet but for only 30 mins. The day time naps I can get through for now with apop and I can work on it more once toddler goes to school in 2 weeks. But now with the night time struggles this is getting hard and I'm sure his ot is building up. The fact that is last nap was from 3-4 and I couldn't get him to fall asleep last night and the past two nights is awful. I literally brought him up at 630 to feed and put into crib right after being that he fell asleep but once he woke up shortly after I had to resettle him and he didn't fall asleep until almost 11 pm!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 13:56:05 pm »
I tried nap up in his crib today for 1 hr 15 mins and he wouldn't fall asleep. Now it's time to eat again and he hasn't napped more than 10 mins at a clip and has been up since 630! I'm going to lose it! All the while my toddler having tantrums while I'm trying to shh pat etc

Offline creations

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 18:20:24 pm »
I seem to remember you had a c-section and he's quite big already, but do you have a sling you can try or are you not ready for that?  Or perhaps a stroller in the family room with you?  I'm just trying to think of how you can be close to him and also not leave your 3yo who clearly needs you.

Hugs, it must be very tiring for you xx

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 18:33:15 pm »
Do you have any friends/family that could entertain your older one whilst you concentrate on the baby and getting him to take a good nap.
If you could find a sling which is suitable I think it would be a life saver for you. My DD2 took all naps in the sling for months as she didn't sleep for long elsewhere and I had a 3yo too.
Lauren

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 20:08:00 pm »
 I do have a sling and yes my baby is 14 pounds so it is quite heavy to carry around most of the day.  But I'm trying to get other things accomplished while he's napping like showering cooking and laundry and it's just easier if im not wearing baby obviously.  I'm just worried that he's getting used to the motion of the swing  being that all of a sudden he's giving me trouble in his bassinet at night.
Everyone is making me nervous that I'm letting him's nap in the swing but I'm  everyone is making me nervous that I'm letting him nap in the swing that I'm  going to regret it

Offline creations

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 20:53:40 pm »
Who is making you nervous about him napping in the swing honey?
I can't say I am really familiar with what the swing is but I assume it is a safe place and have heard other mums using a swing for naps with young babies.  What is it that worries you?

The sling question was really that I could see form your previous post that your 3yo was upset and needed you and that you were trying to get LO down in the crib for over an hour.  A sling doesn't solve all difficulties, I just thought that if you're able to have LO on you for maybe even one nap that you could spend some time with your 3yo, even sitting, you don't have to stand and carry baby in the sling and certainly not all day long.  Full on cooking is tricky with a baby stuck to your front but some mums are able to back carry, or even prepare some light lunches/snacks that are not too labour intensive.  I couldn't carry DS in a sling very much for various reasons and there's no way I could back carry it's beyond me...I'm just saying some people can, do and find it very comfortable and convenient.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 21:53:40 pm »
I think at this point I'm just more worried about night time and settling him in his bassinet.  I think at this point I'm just more worried about night time and settling him in his bassinet I'm thinking if he takes better naps during the day he might go to sleep better at night.  I'm thinking if he takes better naps during the day he might go to sleep better at night. I just read posts that say people then have to wean LOL off of Swing because they will only sleep in the swing swing

Offline creations

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 18:34:26 pm »
Hmmm...I suppose the way I think of it is that he will be moved from a bassinet to a crib at some point and that isn't hugely different from moving from a swing to a bassinet or swing to crib. It's true a change like that can cause disruption but there are unavoidable changes along the way regardless of how you start out, aren't there?
The general feel I get from long term BWers with more than 1 LO is to use sling, swing, stroller when needed especially so you can get out and about with the older child. I wouldn’t consider it better to have a young baby who will only sleep in the bassinet/crib any more than I would one who would only sleep being held tbh.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 23:40:56 pm »
I agree! At least the one good thing is that he goes into the swing awake and falls asleep on his own  or does he? Maybe not. Maybe it's the motion of the swing same idea why they say not to rock them or feed them to sleep though right. Im just trying to get through the day

Offline creations

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 07:24:02 am »
Mine had an Amby hammock which will bounce or swing. I still found I was able to teach independent sleep with it. I just reduced and reduced the rocking motion. The hammock can be rocked/bounced by LO when they wake by their own movement and kicking but overall they sleep motionless but with a little help of movement at the start of sleep time.
I moved mine into a cot-bed at 9 months.  It was a tricky few days doing the change (different room too) but done in 3 days.