Author Topic: Getting 16month old to sleep when out and about  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Mummy81

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting 16month old to sleep when out and about
« on: September 03, 2016, 19:10:04 pm »
Hi all, we are off on holiday in a few weeks amd I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to get a 16month old to nap in his pushchair? He is down to one lunch time nap and will normally sleep for 1.5 to 2 hrs in his cot or a travel cot at his grandparents, but he refuses to sleep anywhere else. I have tried a snooze shade, and giving him his lovey and ewan the sheep, but these normally comforting things enrage him if he is in his pushchair.  I have tried without the snooze shade and he just stares like a zombie into space, looking totally exhausted but still refuses to sleep.

We don't want to have to keep running back to the hotel every lunch time, but if we can't get him to sleep anywhere else but a cot, then it looks like we are going to have to.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Getting 16month old to sleep when out and about
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 18:18:25 pm »
Hi happy up coming hols. Honestly it can depend on the lo my DS1 never really napped anywhere but cot and was a pushchair short napper, DS2 naps pretty much anywhere but does short nap in pushchair but copes better with short naps.

Would he do 2 shorter naps or can you compromise and do hotel 1 day, out and about the next to not build up too much OT? What about rocking him in your arms then transferring to buggy?

I tend to not worry too much on hols as they are out of routine anyway and deal with it when I get home.
Try to enjoy your hols anyway xx
Zoe

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 20:17:49 pm »
Agreed, I kind of think either they will, or they won't.  Have had one of each 'type' here and nothing on earth save sheer and utter exhaustion would have induced DD to sleep in the pushchair (as in she dozed off at 5pm once after skipping her nap altogether, then slept 45 mins ::) ).  We had better success with the car with her, though she still would not have slept at her usual nap time - it would be an hour/2/3 later and short.  I'd do what Zoe said and try one day out, expecting nap to be short and late, do an early bedtime that day if you can manage then a hotel nap to catch up the next day.  But if it doesn't work out then try not to stress - holidays sometimes are about going with the flow.  Think of all the kids you normally see running about at 11pm! 

Offline Mummy81

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 14:53:51 pm »
Thanks @jessmum46 and @Haribo2012. I think we will just have to go with the flow and maybe alternate days out and about with days around the hotel.  Think you are both right, hex just not a pushchair napper!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 18:55:52 pm »
Just have fun try not to worry too much. He will survive and you can put it right when you get home xx
Zoe

Offline MrsJ80

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 15:23:45 pm »
Have you tried a baby wrap or carrier? Would he sleep in that? You can hire them from a sling library to try them out before your hols and also while you're away.

Failing that I'd just go with the flow if you can. I made the mistake of trying to fit in nap times when we were on holiday and we weren't getting out until late each day. 😫