Author Topic: W2S for EW? I'm ready to try anything  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
W2S for EW? I'm ready to try anything
« on: February 03, 2017, 03:45:08 am »
Our schedule EW and schedule help 10m

My husbands comment on trying to settle him this am at 5 - "It doesn't seem like he wants anything" (BF doesnt put him back to sleep, he has a cold attm and even allergex didn't put him to sleep the other day at 4:30) DH continued to say that he was reminded of the time we were trying to teach him to go to sleep by himself. Like all he wants is to be held.

What about waking him at 3:45 and see if W2S works? Too much cortisol? I was already awake with him at 2...

This am it kept seeming like DH had managed to settle him. He would quiet down and lie in the cot and then 3 mins he is crying again. I brought him out and put on the lights and he stopped, but then started crying inconsolably again. Gave him water and something to bite on and he is happy to play now.

Maybe I should just try slowly pushing BT back so we can at least get up at 6. 5 is too early for me. It is worth noting that it was exactly the same with LO1. He is now able to sleep till 6/6:30 with the same BT. Maybe I just have to wait 2 years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: W2S for EW? I'm ready to try anything
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:00:36 am »
I had one of those that wanted to be up at 5am every day too. Exhausting isn't it.

I tried W2S for the EW and all that happened in our case was that he woke earlier the second night so I couldn't do the W2S. Set my alarm even earlier the third night but again he beat me to it.  At the time it felt like zero success although perhaps if I'd had the foresight to continue it would have made his NW so early that it would have then helped with the EW iyswim...getting them back to sleep at an ever earlier time is easier than resettling at 5am.  I didn't have either that thought or the energy at that time.
I do think it's worth a try.
Whist W2S didn't seem to help me with the EWs it's been a life saver at other times. So worth a shot.

Good luck.

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 03:23:21 am »
ok...i guess i'll try it then. If he'd been awake at 2 and resettled by 2:30 would one still do the 3:30? this am it was 2 and then awake again at 4:30 and just crying more and more inconsolably. Water, drugs, hugs. Nothing helped, even getting up to play, he just cried. Now has eventually become happy to play at 5:30. I AM A WRECK!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 21:51:45 pm »
Oh dear that's a rough night - I'd certainly try the W2S!
I would perhaps give some meds at any NW if there is a chance of teething or illness - I see you gave meds after he was crying at 4.30am so you obviously don't mind giving some meds for teething. if you can give them before he is crying there is a better chance of him not being so disturbed by the pain and sleep through it.  Once they are awake with pain the crying and inability to settle is likely caused by being annoyed at being awake more than the pain.

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 17:19:14 pm »
Thanks so much!

The first night after I decided to try this it was so bad (I had been to my other boy first..) I actually broke down in the middle of the night :'( He just seems to be getting more and more unable to cope - he was pushing and arching and climbing up with his feet. So everytime I would put him down immediately and say, "ok you want to lie down" But he would just get more and more frantic and angry. I finally took him to DH and he settled not long after. But after that I wasn't going to set the alarm for an hour or two's time.

But the next night (last night) I set my alarm for 3:45 (he usually wakes between 4:30-5) And thankfully he didn't wake till I woke him. He was in a very deep sleep - I had to tickle his face with eyelashes. His eyes popped open like a doll... and then he went RIGHT back to sleep, I just put him back down. And he woke at 6 to make a dirty nappy!!!

:D

So after initial success I am now unsure how to proceed! Can't remember how long Tracy suggested continuing with W2S?!

???

I think if I leave him he will wake at 5 again... but perhaps W2S can develop habitual waking... So I think I'll leave it for tonight and then do it again the following night.

Thoughts?

P.S. Re drugs - If I am sure it's teeth I drug at BT, when it's bad I give anti-inflammatory suppository and then paracetamol orally if he wakes again. I also occasionally use local numbing drops on the gums when it seems prudent. (He can't even cope during the day.) And like now when he has a cold, I give anti-histamines which of course also make one drowsy... So I am ready to drug. I just don't want to develop a depenadancy or habit, so I really try and be very sure it's actually pain. (who the hell knows though right? ::) )

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 18:43:13 pm »
So after initial success I am now unsure how to proceed! Can't remember how long Tracy suggested continuing with W2S?!
I usually say do it for 3 days then stop for the 4th day. If the habit is still there then you do another round of 3 days.  I think this is what Tracy said although tbh although I link the FAQ quite often I rarely read it.

Good luck :)

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 02:58:00 am »
Thanks!

I thought about it and it seemed logical to continue another night.

But DISASTER STRIKES. I woke him at 3:45. It seemed to be easy again, i put him down... then at 4 he calls me back and I could tell he was just wide awake. Not apparently in pain, just not sleepy.

It's now 5. I gave up  ::)

Perhaps tonight I try at 3:30? Or earlier?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 18:19:58 pm »
I would try at 3-3.30am. Remember though you do not fully wake him, only disturb him, move his cover, give him a nudge or a rub, anything to see his stir he doesn't need to open his eyes.

Good luck!

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 19:46:00 pm »
OK! Thanks.