Author Topic: Help on short EA!  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Zok539

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:21 am »
Hi there,

Im trying to use the EASY method with my seven week old daughter- mostly its going well but Ive got a couple of questions I cant find the answer to anywhere and was hoping someone might be able to help!

Firstly, my daughter seems to feed really quickly- maximum fifteen minutes, more often ten. Shes putting on weight and Im not too concerned, but then we move onto the activity and I often spot her yawning ten minutes into it. Which means that the EA part of the routine can be half an hour, or occasionally I can stretch it to an hour.

This means the cycles are really short and she is sleeping a lot of the day- particularly in the morning where from the moment she wakes up she wants to go back for a nap! Shell then can be very difficult to get down for a nap late afternoon which can cause difficulties for bath time etc.

How can I adjust for this so I am not feeding her every two hours? Should I let her sleep for 2/2.5 hrs at time to extend the cycle? Is it ok to let her sleep so much during the day- it doesnt seem to affect the night, but perhaps makes sleep and naps in the late afternoon/ early evening difficult sometimes. Any thoughts very much welcomed and appreciated.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Help on short EA!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 23:02:13 pm »
Hi, welcome :)

She's a tiny newborn - some of them sleep a lot. The 1.5hr A time thing you've probably read about is average for a 3 month old baby. When babies 'wake up' from their newborn sleepy phase varies. If she's sleeping well at night and during the day, keep going with what you're doing.

I take it she's breastfed? If so, feeding every 2hr is not an issue - its recommended to feed on demand though I wouldn't be waking her from naps unless it had been 3hr since last feed.

Babies are not born with a body clock that tells them when day and night are, so its worth trying to give her cues about that. Here's some info about sleep: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64515.0

Offline Zok539

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 13:00:13 pm »
Thank you so much for the reply- makes perfect sense! I didnt want her to sleep so much that it would cause problems but it sounds like she is too young for this to be the case so thanks for the reassurance!