Author Topic: Help on short ‘EA’!  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Zok539

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:21 am »
Hi there,

I’m trying to use the EASY method with my seven week old daughter- mostly it’s going well but I’ve got a couple of questions I can’t find the answer to anywhere and was hoping someone might be able to help!

Firstly, my daughter seems to feed really quickly- maximum fifteen minutes, more often ten. She’s putting on weight and I’m not too concerned, but then we move onto the activity and I often spot her yawning ten minutes into it. Which means that the EA part of the routine can be half an hour, or occasionally I can stretch it to an hour.

This means the cycles are really short and she is sleeping a lot of the day- particularly in the morning where from the moment she wakes up she wants to go back for a nap! She’ll then can be very difficult to get down for a nap late afternoon which can cause difficulties for bath time etc.

How can I adjust for this so I am not feeding her every two hours? Should I let her sleep for 2/2.5 hrs at time to extend the cycle? Is it ok to let her sleep so much during the day- it doesn’t seem to affect the night, but perhaps makes sleep and naps in the late afternoon/ early evening difficult sometimes. Any thoughts very much welcomed and appreciated.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Help on short ‘EA’!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 23:02:13 pm »
Hi, welcome :)

She's a tiny newborn - some of them sleep a lot. The 1.5hr A time thing you've probably read about is average for a 3 month old baby. When babies 'wake up' from their newborn sleepy phase varies. If she's sleeping well at night and during the day, keep going with what you're doing.

I take it she's breastfed? If so, feeding every 2hr is not an issue - its recommended to feed on demand though I wouldn't be waking her from naps unless it had been 3hr since last feed.

Babies are not born with a body clock that tells them when day and night are, so its worth trying to give her cues about that. Here's some info about sleep: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64515.0

Offline Zok539

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 13:00:13 pm »
Thank you so much for the reply- makes perfect sense! I didn’t want her to sleep so much that it would cause problems but it sounds like she is too young for this to be the case so thanks for the reassurance!