Author Topic: PLEASE HELP 5 month old won’t sleep  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Ruthyc99

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 04, 2018, 21:28:27 pm »
Hi Everyone

Hoping you can help. Started the shush pat method on 27th December after a truly awful Christmas sleepwise. My little boy Wilfred is 5 Months old and since the end of October (9 Weeks ago) seems to have forgotten how to sleep. Naps were impossible unless in the car and he was not settling til gone midnight and then waking every hour. I was feeding back to sleep every time.

Anyway since starting the shush pat we are seeing improvements, we don’t do the pick up as it seems to stimulate him too much and have had to on a couple of occasions refeed at 45mins and start again. In the night I am only feeding if it has been 3 hours or more- if not I do the shush pat. I have stopped feeding to sleep before naps and bedtime. Obviously when I feed in the night he tends to fall asleep.

However we have the following issues /questions

1. Should I be feeding at all in the night? What if he is hungry?
2. He doesn’t seem to nap for longer than 30/40 mins - I have tried being there to do the shush pat to connect them but it just wakes him up. So he is currently managing 4 x 30 minutes a day- is this enough?
3. What would be an ideal schedule timewise- I struggle to know what the right time is for bedtime?! Should I be sticking to a set bedtime and wake time? I have also started just this week introducing solids so need to consider this in the schedule.

He is waking a minimum of 3 times but up to 12.
I feel like I’m losing my mind
Thanks so much in advance

Ruthie

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: PLEASE HELP 5 month old won’t sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 22:37:48 pm »
1. Should I be feeding at all in the night? What if he is hungry?
Yes, you should be feeding in the night - its perfectly normal that he will be hungry so feeding is essential.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=98183.0

2. He doesn’t seem to nap for longer than 30/40 mins - I have tried being there to do the shush pat to connect them but it just wakes him up. So he is currently managing 4 x 30 minutes a day- is this enough?
This isn't really enough sleep. Can you please post an EAS, eg.
7am - wake, feed
9:30 - nap
10 - wake, feed
etc. include night wakings as well - they can tell us useful things :)

3. What would be an ideal schedule timewise- I struggle to know what the right time is for bedtime?! Should I be sticking to a set bedtime and wake time? I have also started just this week introducing solids so need to consider this in the schedule.
An average routine at ~5 months would be something like this:
7 - WU, feed
9:30 - nap
11 - wake, feed
1:30 - nap
3 - wake, feed
5 - catnap
5:45 - wake, feed
7:30/8 - in bed asleep for the night

Wondering if there might be a component of pain involved here, have a read about reflux and milk oversupply - they can look very similar and have quite different fixes:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63604.0