Author Topic: Sleep Training Pregaming?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline megan.allysa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 07, 2018, 02:36:02 am »
We are preparing to sleep train in a week or two. We have some commitments that can't be rearranged or we would have started this weekend. 

LO is 8 months and very mobile. Crawls like a mad woman, is pulling herself to standing (cruising imminent), and all of this can make settling her in crib tricky.

She currently is rocked to semi-sleep and put into crib in her room.  It usually only takes 5 mins of rocking to get her to sleep. We have had issues from birth with short naps. Most are 30, sometimes we make it to 45.

Nighttime is completely different; she is put down drowsy but awake at 7:30 and puts herself to sleep right away. Sometimes she wakes @10 and I feed, rest of the time I dream feed closer to 10:30. She then sleeps until 2 or 3 when I feed again. Sometimes she falls asleep eating, if she does we are able to transfer no problem. If she does not it takes a good 30-60 mins to get her back to sleep and there is no putting her down until she is completely out. She is often awake at 5/5:30 and we struggle to get her to make it until 6:30. These usually don't take as long to get her back to sleep but she usually only stays asleep for 15-30 mins

I have recently discovered that I need to lengthen her A times, and I am hopeful that this may help some with nap (we had a couple days of really good morning nap using a 3 hour A time) So I am currently working to figure out her perfect A time.

What else can I be doing with her over the next week or two to give us as smooth an adjustment as possible? I am both worried and optimistic, and just want to be as prepared as possible for this...

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Sleep Training Pregaming?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 20:15:15 pm »
Working on A times will likely help - 3h is a good start but be aware you may need to lengthen that out more as many babies this age will manage closer to 3.5h, sometimes even 4h.  It sounds very positive that she is already able to settle herself at bedtime so continuing to give her that opportunity, including at nap time may be a good idea.  I'm not really sure what else you can do to 'prepare' though other than just getting on with it when the time suits you all - but to me it sounds like it may not be as big of a step as you fear given what she is already doing :)  good luck!