Author Topic: How to get ot 2 year old to nap  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: July 09, 2018, 19:06:47 pm »
My almost 2 year old is having trouble with naps. His big brother just started back at camp so I was going to get lo back into a nap routine. He was napping 130-3 but when his brother is home he won’t nap. He definitely still needs a nap because If we are in the car or stroller he will fall out for a cn and today he was so tired from days of no naps that he was cranky and cried a lot which isn’t like him.  It took me one hour to get him to sleep and he cried a lot from his crib which was hard but he fell asleep. I’ll have to wake him after an hour to pickup brother thoigh. Any tips on how to get him back into nap routine. Even just an hour to get him through to bt.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 17:10:20 pm »
Another day I can’t get him to nap. Is it common to just drop the nap cold turkey? He’s not even 2

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: How to get ot 2 year old to nap
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 17:33:34 pm »
It's not totally uncommon to drop the nap cold turkey, from what I've seen in your posts however it does seems like he's maybe LSN so it's entirely within the realm of possibility.  With my DS we had to just do "quiet time" which meant the couch and a movie and sometimes he would fall asleep, sometimes not, and on no nap days just bring BT forward.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:47:44 am »
What I’m finding is that he’ll nap if I put him down at 2 pm. It’s a bit of a struggle but he usually will fall asleep I just let him sleep an hour wake him by 3. Last night he fell asleep around 815/830. Which is a bit tough because it’s later than his big brother but he needs the nap.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 00:38:55 am »
Tiday he was up at 7 I got him down for a nap at 2 it was a struggle he fought it but passed out I woke him at 3 and he cried for a while. And he’s still up at 840 messing around in his crib.
At what point do you just not allow a nap?! How long of a day should I aim for ?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 17:57:50 pm »
When naps started affecting our BT is when we decided to cut completely.  I would maybe try to stick with 2-3pm for a few days and see how it goes.  If still lots of messing at BT and you do think about dropping it, try to keep to a 12hr day.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 06:23:20 am »
I found with DS2 he dropped much younger because of DS1... he tended to have catnaps on the go some days and I managed to get him having quiet time on my bed and sometimes fell asleep, but he’d spend more time there being quiet than in his room
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 03:17:00 am »
We had a few days of 2-3 nap bedtime wasn’t too bad around 830 and to be honest I’d rather him take a nap even a short one because he’s so young and he loves hanging out with big brother and daddy at night so to be in bed by 7 wouldn’t be ideal. But the last few days he wouldn’t nap at all!
I also was going to do the crib to bed switch soon but I’m thinking maybe I’ll wait a while and still try to push that 2pm nap if he’s in a bed he’ll never take a nap! Lol and I’ve tried quiet time which is a joke! Lol.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 15:40:02 pm »
Yes I would maybe hold off on the crib/bed switch for now.  That was an awful transition for us and we ended up doing it after the nap drop...I had zero faith that he was actually going to stay in his bed at nap time.

I'd just keep trying to do 2-3pm daily, and if it works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't.  Best case scenario he takes the 2-3pm nap and can do 8:30pm and worst case, he skips the nap and you move BT up those days.  I did find a lot of back and forth during the nap drop.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 04:44:26 am »
Thank you. It’s been a few days in a row now with no nap :( sigh. Not sure they he’ll ever take another lol. I thought I would have at least one child that would hold onto naps past 2 years old. !

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 15:15:39 pm »
Ugh, right!?  One can only hope!  My DD (bless her wee soul) is still going strong at 2.5yrs.  I thank the good lord every day for her sleeping habits lol, DS did me right in...I was owed a good sleeping child lol :P

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 03:52:10 am »
Good for you! Ha. I’m still not giving up. When older one goes back to camp
Next week I’m going to consistently try again for a nap. And at some point if he just won’t go I’m going to take out the big boy bed and just give in :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 03:52:53 am »
What time does your 2.5 year old nap ? How’s long is her/his day ?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 13:47:51 pm »
She goes down at about 1/1:30pm and sleeps about 2hrs.  BT is usually 8ish and WU around 7am. 

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 19:17:36 pm »
Thats awesome and what our day used to be! Until he started resisting the nap at that time. I
Wonder if I could get back to that schedule ?