Author Topic: sitting up and waking up - several times a night  (Read 1168 times)

Offline zeena

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
sitting up and waking up - several times a night
« on: September 14, 2005, 20:59:22 pm »
My DS has just started sitting up independantly - it's lovely to watch him play during the day with this new found ability :D   but ...the downside is that he wakes himself up at night, several times.  :(  It started two nights ago, every couple of hours pretty much.  THis evening he went down happily as 7:15pm, then woke up 1.5 hours later crying and sitting up.  Since then he's woken up about 8 times ( in the last hour).  DH and I have taken turns going in and doing pat/shush. I find that he just needs repositioning and will go back to sleep within minutes.  I don't say anything and I find that just my presence seems to begin to calm him.  But I'm dreading this continuing through out the night.  What's the best way of dealing with this?  I've got him in a sleeping bag, and I stopped swaddling him at 5 months (he's now 8 months).    Should I be doing something in the day to teach him how to lie down?  Or if there is nothing I can do, can anyone advise on how long this may take to pass?   I'm only half way through the BW for Toddlers but can't seem to find anything specifically on this (I don't seem to have much time to read these days!)

Thanks for your help.
zeena
Zeena
Mom to Spirited/Touch baby boy born Jan 2005

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
sitting up and waking up - several times a night
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 00:10:38 am »
Zeena, just keep doing what you are doing & it will eventually pass (not that saying that helps the broken sleep I know)

I can't remember how I helped Aiden get back to lying, but the novelty wore off in a few days or so from memory & it is not uncommon.  Let him pratice sitting as much as possible in the day & maybe it will lose the novelty faster.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05