Author Topic: night wakings 1 1/2 hrs long  (Read 1202 times)

Offline giddyup3

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
night wakings 1 1/2 hrs long
« on: October 13, 2005, 16:15:05 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with their babies waking in the night, and staying awake for long periods of time.  My 6 mth old happily goes to bed between 7:30 and 8 pm, after a bath and 7oz bottle, and will sleep usually until 3:30 when he wakes and will not fall asleep again for at least 1 1/2 hrs. This can happen as early as 10:30 pm, on a really bad night.  I have tried the PU/PD, pat/shush, these only make him angrier.  This has been going on for a month now and before this, if he woke, re swaddling and replacing the covers he kicked off,  putting his pacifier back in would solve the problem. But now none of these help.  My husband is very helpful, and will get up, but has started to feed our son thinking this is the only way to help him go back to sleep, and I'm starting to think that he is waking expecting to be fed.  I have increased his food intake, solids and bottles, especially before bedtime, but if my hubby feeds him, he will take about 6 oz. This kind of night will be at least 5 of 7 nights, but on a good night, Matthew can sleep right through until 6:30, waking once where putting back in the pacifier will work.  Any comments would be appreciated.  Christina

Offline Shella

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 20:09:57 pm »
Hi

Is your ds restless when he wakes up? Does he grumble coz he can't get back to sleep? In my experience my ds has taken a while to settle, up to two hours. I figured it was his teeth was causing the restlessness and I have found homeopathic teething granules work really well. I really wouldn't advise feeding as this is giving your ds a reason to wake up. HTH
Love Michelle, mummy to Oliver Eli born 30.03.04

Offline Superman'sMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 00:27:15 am »
Hey there! My lo is doing the exact same thing. It staretd about a week ago and now he wakes every 2-3 hours And won't go back to sleep. Is yor ds crying or just grumpy? I can't tell you anything to do but I would stop giving him the bottle.  It will probably just add to the problem. I think it is possibbly a devolpmental thing for my ds. I am not sure but I know it isn't about food. Have you changed anything? Or have you started solids? All could be causes. Sorry no answer but if anyone has one I could use it also.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline Lainie's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 14:24:52 pm »
I am having a similar problem with my daughter ... I am interested to hear what the moderators have to say.

We have had a considerable amount of accidental parenting at our house, and our 3 month old has learned that 1am is "playtime"  (our fault, entirely.)  We have had her on E.A.S.Y. for a week now, and things are MUCH better.  But, we can't seem to unlearn the 1am playtime problem ... she acts like it is a regular "A" period and will coo and babble for 1 - 2 hours. 

I haven't been doing PU/PD, because she isn't crying.  But, she is an angel/textbook, so she is quite content staring around her crib all by herself.  I just sit on the floor, out of sight, and wait for her to fuss when she gets tired so I can start PU/PD.  I am working on shortening her daytime naps, so that she will want to sleep longer at night.  I'm not sure that is helping, and it seems like that just makes her more tired and cranky by the early morning hours, so she becomes very difficult to soothe around 5 - 6 am.  If it is really bad, she won't even eat her 7am feed because she is so overstimluated and overtired. 

I am also fighting a little "sabotage" by my well-meaning husband over the weekend.  He finally let her climb in bed with him when I went to work at 6am on Saturday ... when I came home at 11 they were still both sleeping there!

Anyone have any suggestions for shortening her 1am playtime?  She was a preemie and only weighs 10lbs, so she still needs nighttime feeds, but NOT playtime!!