Author Topic: 8 month old- i am desperate!  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Nat'n'Pat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 month old- i am desperate!
« on: October 14, 2005, 06:47:24 am »
I too have a beautiful 8 month old HIGHLY SPIRITED, happy little boy. We had to work for months to get him into a routine (regularly awake for 10 hours during day up to 3-4 mths old and lots of night waking). We finally taught him how to put himself to sleep, which he was doing quite easily for a 1.5hr sleep in morning and 1 or 2x 45 min naps. At night we struggled but got him to as little as 2 stirrings at night (an amazing feat for this little one!). The first was when we "topped up" at around 9-9.30pm and then he woke at between 2 and 4. We could resettle him fairly easily until 6.30- 7am. We were a lot better rested! 
Then came a shocking illness with severe fevers etc and now we have a baby who has gone back to waking (although now is screaming inconsolably- never did before) 8-12 times a night!!  I am at my wits end. Exhausted and I don't know if I can go through all of the weeks (months?) of hell to get him back to a half decent night's sleep!
On top of everything, the Community nurse today said it must be my fault- I must be doing something wrong and should just be tougher on him! Ahhhh. I know there are no short cuts. Any ideas ?(or even words of support would be nice)Anyone else here now?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
8 month old- i am desperate!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 11:00:54 am »
Firstly your community nurse should not be so horrid.
Second you need to look at what is working & has worked & stick with that.
The age your lo is is full of seperation anxiety, & so after illness the wakings are not unusual (trust me I was there when ds#1 was that age)
OK my thoughts put your life onhold & spend lots of time making your lo feel secure & loved, spend most of his awake time playing & cuddling & have a really good wind down before sleep time (read stories works well for us) then at night if it was me... well I'd put a mattress on the floor in his room & be right there. comfort from beside & give yourselves a week or 2 to see if things improve & then slowy sleep less in there.

The other suggestion is give Karitane or Tresillian a call & have a chat to them about ideas (phone numbers are in the blue book) I have found them great with both my ds... particularly as I had a B!tch for an early Childhood nurse with #1 too
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05