Author Topic: 4mo waking every 2.5 hrs  (Read 3433 times)

Offline tmartinez2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 14:51:26 pm »
About increasing his A time I am just a bit worried if for some reason he doesn't get a good length of a nap which can happend frequently then I am hesitant to keep him up for the 2 hours. If he doesn't get a good nap of at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours should I decrease the length of his A time or keep it at 2 hours?

Thanks!

Theresa

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: 4mo waking every 2.5 hrs
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 14:55:59 pm »
Theresa

"This has been going on for about 3 weeks I am worried it may be becoming a routine"

You have hit the nail on the head there. Longer feeds during the day, not more frequesnt as that will cause other problems. He will probably still want to get up during the night as it is now his routine. For this you will need pu/pd but only when you are positive he is no longer hungry.

How many times was he getting up for a night feed before?
Lauren x

Offline tmartinez2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 21:37:01 pm »
Previously he was getting up at around 2:00am and then sometimes at 5:00 but we were just about to start fading out the 5:00 feed when this happened. Now he is waking every 2 hours but we only try to feed at 11 and then around 3 or 4.

I tried feeding longer today but he just wouldn't take it - not sure if he is distracted (but i am in darkened quiet room) or just not hungry. I feel like he has his days and nights for feeds mixed up and I am not sure how to reverse it??

and doing PU/PD how can I be certain its not hunger?

Also any advice on the A time from my previous post?

Thanks so much.

Theresa

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 08:13:49 am »
Looking at the routine you posted and specifically the sleeping, his days and nights are not mixed up, it seems like a growth spurt.    I currently don't breastfeed so it may even be worthwhile posting on the breastfeeding topic to ask how to get you LO to take more from you during a growth spurt.

The following links may help to explain why a longer A time is necessary.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52356.0

also this one
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=51944.msg360936#msg360936

A lot of the mums on the "Mums of Sep/Oct '05 babies...  " breastfeed so they may also be able to help you with that one.     
It certainly doesn't sound like he had switched night for day, only a growth spurt, especially for the age your LO is.
Lauren x

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 22:36:20 pm »
Hi,
sorry, i haven't had time to read all the posts here, so my post is gonna be pretty egocentric.

so i'm still watching his scheule, and trying not to feed him as often.
we had improvement last night with only two wake ups, though he did go to sleep two hours later than usual...

i'm now confused on two accounts, though:

first of all, i thought you're supposed to put a tired baby to sleep right away. you know - not miss his "window", not make him overtired cuz then he won't sleep as well,
so what's this about stretching his A time to two hours?

and also, if he wakes from a nice hour and a half nap, he won't fall asleep again if he isn't tired, no matter how much pupd i try. i mean, he just had a great nap! so how do we force our lo's into that ideal routine?

sorry. just don't really get it.

thanks
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 23:05:46 pm »
Hey , I thought you were doing your dishes and tiding  :o

first of all, i thought you're supposed to put a tired baby to sleep right away. you know - not miss his "window", not make him overtired cuz then he won't sleep as well,
so what's this about stretching his A time to two hours?

You need to do it maybe 15mins per day and build up to it.

and also, if he wakes from a nice hour and a half nap, he won't fall asleep again if he isn't tired, no matter how much pupd i try. i mean, he just had a great nap! so how do we force our lo's into that ideal routine?

If he wakes after 90mins nap and he is happy then I wouldn't try and get him back to sleep, I only do it with Calum if he wakes still tired and crying.

I know it is confusing, we tend to do a 4 hour EASA through out the day. How often are you need feeding during the day? 

Congratulations on only 2 night wakings it is way better then every 2.5hrs   ;D

Catch you later, I am off to bed x
Lauren x

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 08:24:49 am »
hi,
loggiing his day is really helping us tighten it into a routine.
it's actually going well, just by keeping the log, so thanks a lot.
i'm trying to nurse him a lot less, but i'm still nursing to sleep a lot.  :P :-[ :-X >:( :-[

last night he slept a really nice stretch!

he really is able to go 2 hours between naps, and seems to need to nurse like 3 1/2 hours, about.

at what age does he stop needing that cat nap?
a few days this week he hasn't been able to get it for whatever reason. he seemed to usually do okay. yesterday he had no catnap, and a slightly later bedtime, but didn't wake up at his overtired forty minute mark.

thanks.
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 08:44:53 am »
glkadyou are getting on better and that you have stretched feeds to 3 1/2hrs, the 4hr easy will come soon!

Calum has also started missing his catnap some days that has happened in the last week....  must be an age thing?

Lauren x