Author Topic: Several questions on continued night wakings for 4 mo old - binkie, swaddle...  (Read 3777 times)

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
how is the lo doing now??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline MatthewsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
He's up every 2-3 hours still at night. Just ready to lose my mind. I do not think he's hungry either. I didn't feed him at all last night and he did fine with the paci and going back to sleep. I fed him night before and he STILL woke all night after. I do not think it's a food issue, but a sleep issue. I am at my wits end and just don't know what's going on but I do know 2 things:

1. it's been happening ever since I tried a DF - but that was 2 weeks ago and I will never do a DF again
2. also since he's been on 4 hour Easy

I don't want to keep changing things around for him but just don't know what to do anymore. He goes right back to sleep but the constant wakings....

Lauren

Offline teezee

what do you do to get lo back to sleep when you do have the night wakings? if you are just putting the paci in that may have become a prop - but if you are ok with that right now then so be it - he just may keep waking for it once he gets into that light sleep part of the cycle and realizes he doesn't have it anymore. have you tried gentle removal? if not, here is a link so you can get more info about it and maybe you will want to try this as an option? good luck, and please keep me posted, wish i could be more help...but i am here to support you! {{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}}

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52857.0
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline MatthewsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Update- LO is doing very well. I didn't read your link yet but I kind of took matters into my own hands knowing what I thought was issue and from the books I've read (including BW) and here's what we have done:

1. stopped the swaddle - started with naps as of last Sunday and weaned him completley three nights ago
2. let him CIO but ONLY for 10 min (he never made it this long on each occasion)
3. stopped night feedings about 3 nights ago as even with them he still woke every 2 hours after...
4. Added back in one day feeding cause I never did the DF so I didn't think 4 feeds every 4 hours was good enuf unless I did a night feed. Even at his age, Tracy says ever 4 hours but without the DF, I feel that's not enuf food. So now he's eating every 3.5 - I cluster the last one at about 2.5 and he goes to bed after
5. Earlier bedtime - about 7:30

So guess what? last 2 nights he has slept thru the night!!! Last night he only woke once and cried for a minute at 3:30 otherwise he's sleeping from 7:30-6 now! It's pure joy! I think I needed to figure out what my own son's issue was and stop trying to implement things by the "book" if you will as even though a lot of stuff helps, not everything did (like the DF for us didn't work). I know everything I did is not BW but it worked for me and my son. I think the CIO was needed (I couldn't do it long term or that Ferber thing) cause he needed to know we would not come in each time he cried and be comfortable getting himself back to sleep. I think it was key to stop the swaddle as he was breaking out and needed his hands for soothing. I also think the earlier bedtime helped and adding back in a feeding.

He now eats 7 oz, 5x a day, no night feedings. And his naps are better and longer.

With daylight savings I think we'll be ok cause he gets up at 6 so it will be 7. The bedtime may be a little harder so have to figure that out.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice and sticking with me. I needed to figure it out on my own what would work for my DS.

Let's hope it continues. If not, am still not changing anything now cause he CAN sleep thru and he's getting enuf to eat.

Lauren

Offline teezee

congrats to you!!

only 1 thing i may caution you about is the cio/cc - you have come sooo far i don't want lo to cio/cc and lose trust in you! i'm glad you found 'what works for you' though - i couldn't be happier!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005