Author Topic: What could be the discomfort?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
What could be the discomfort?
« on: April 06, 2006, 10:27:27 am »
My Lo was pretty poorly with gastric flu and lactose intolerance only diagnosed after a month, so his near perfect sleep patterns were thrown in the air after a week in hospital. He was better for 2 weeks but has been unwell again. We are not exactyl sure whats wrong with him except he has come out in thrush again which has been treated for 5 days now. Instead of getting better his nights have got worse and I cannot work out whats making him uncomfortable at night so unwell to do anythign to help! He fusses and eventually wakes every couple of hrs or so, he sort of coughs and sputturs a bit, could it be a dry throat? I have tried raising his pillow. He will take him paci and go back to sleep very quickly but only for an hr or so if i try to feed him to tends to just nod off again. I dont think its tummy trouble again as last time he had this he cried and saw clearly in pain. Any tips?? what things other than those ive mentioned could be bothering him? As we are gettign up all the time with him, he eventually comes to sleep in our bed around 2 am so i can keep giving him his paci as this seems to be the only thing that helps?

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 10:36:10 am »
Where is the thrush? On the bottom or in the mouth? I know that when my LO's thrush on his bottom flared up he was VERY uncomfortable...

How old is he?

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
Re: What could be the discomfort?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:39:11 am »
it was in his mouth but has cleared up a bit his bottom is VERY red, could he have it there too? hes 5 and a half months old

Offline Shdef

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:41:27 am »
My wee one had it on his bottom (still does) and if the bottom is very red, this might be the reason. I would go to the ped and get it seen and get some thrush cream. Thrush on the bottom is not only sore, it's also itchy.

When my LO was very bad we gave him paracetamol and he was able to sleep through.

Did you try that?

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 10:43:44 am »
i will give it a shot thanx so much, now u mention it he does sound 'itchy' un comfortable and his bottom is ver red

Offline Shdef

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 10:49:23 am »
In preparation for the next (hopefully better) night: Try to not use wetties today,  don't put a nappy on him, just kind of wrap a towel around his bottom and clean the bottom with COLD water. Cold water sets the bodies own hydrocortisone free which is an antiinfammatory. The thrush cream also works VERY fast, if you get some now, it might have cleared up a bit by tonight.
Thrush thrives in dampness and the throw-away-nappies don't breathe as well as a towel.

I would also use vaseline as barrier cream...

And at night give him some calpol or other paracetamol before the last bottle.

Good luck!

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 11:07:57 am »
thats soo helpful thanx! in your experience does thrush (even on bottom) cause loss of apetite?

Offline Shdef

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 11:10:10 am »
There is nothing that caused Scott a loss of appetite, not even strep when he was a newborn, not even bronchiolitis, not teething, not nothing.

So I think that pain in general can have an impact on the appetite. Especially pain in the mouth. For oral thrush I KNOW that it causes a loss of appetite, but DS never had it.

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 11:15:13 am »
I know oral thrush does but no one seems to have had as much trouble feeding their baby, even with thrush, as I have! I will definately try the paracetemol, thank you so much and fingers crossed!

Offline aidenmc

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 13:31:41 pm »
Just wondering if you have considered reflux? The coughing at night can be a sign as well as difficulty feeding. Check out the reflux, colic board for symptoms that might seem familiar.
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 13:49:20 pm »
definately does sound like it could be more than just the thrush - i agree with becky - i would check out the reflux, colic, crying board and see if i can recognize anymore 'symptoms.'
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 16:56:12 pm »
thanx guys! they did say he prob had reflux when were a t the hospital but they cant tell for sure without doing more invasive tests, which isnt really necessary, he was on antacids which he stiopped takinga few days ago...could be actually....thanx so much the webiste is always soo helpful! Its sooo worrying andifficult being a mum!

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 20:50:07 pm »
{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}} hope lo feels better. maybe try and take lo to another dr - when i took dd they just gave zantac to her (but i think her case was pretty extreme at the time...) without the testing.  if it didn't work then they would have looked into it further, but it did and i am grateful! good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Shdef

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 06:29:01 am »
Yeah, I agree with aidenmc and teezee... Thrush won't be the only problem but it will cause additional discomfort...

Good luck!

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 07:51:34 am »
Thank you, the thrush has cleared up but our nights havent really got much better so I guess that asnwers my question...something else is troubling him and we cannot get to the bottom of it! he never seems to slip into a very deep sleep anymore, he doesnt properly wake up but figets and fusses and looks very uncomfortable.