Author Topic: rash & scratches on tummy  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
rash & scratches on tummy
« on: June 08, 2006, 22:19:29 pm »
DD has had a bit of a rash on her tummy area lately. Odd thing is that there is no rash down there in the diaper area. Anyways, I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. I thought perhaps the top edge of the diaper was rubbing her the wrong way, but I'm beginning to think that is not it. I can't think of any new foods she's had that could be suspect, she's eating the usual stuff she always eats. I think her rash is itchy cuz she tries to scratch her tummy. One day we found all these scratch marks on her tummy, definitely self influcted.  :o  Sigh... I don't know what to do. I've been applying baby lotion on her tummy, hoping it will help soothe it.

Any ideas? What do you do about rashes? How can I encourage her to NOT scratch?

Marie

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: rash & scratches on tummy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 19:49:14 pm »
Can you put a one piece outfit on her, or put a onesie under her clothes so she can't get at her tummy?  I think the baby lotion idea is a good one, maybe keep a look out for one for sensitive skin.  As for the cause -- I'm not sure, but could she be rubbing against something (the rug, furniture, etc) while she moves?  I once got awful rub burn when I was little from sliding down the stairs!

Oh, and I would most definitely check with your ped just to be on the safe side if it doesn't appear to be getting better.  If nothing else he/she might be able to prescribe something that would make it better.

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 19:55:14 pm »
Could changing washing powders help?  My lo is 4 months and has eczema but suddenly his skin flared up again - we had been using the same soap powder on his clothes since he was born but we changed it and things seem better.  Cotton clothing seems to work best for him too.

I agree with Erin, could be best to have her checked out by your dr.

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 21:38:19 pm »
Can I encourage you to pop along to the Health/Medical forum and have a look at the Excema Support thread?

I am not suggesting that your LO has excema even though it does sound like what happened with my LO.. be careful with using baby lotion on sore itchy skin - you are better off using something like petroleum jelly which has no perfumes or additives.

Hope the thread I mentioned can be of some help to you xxx

Helen x

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 22:53:21 pm »
Can you put a one piece outfit on her, or put a onesie under her clothes so she can't get at her tummy?

We usually try to put her in a bodysuit (onesie). Her PJ is a 2-piece outfit which gives her better access to her tummy. During diaper changes, her hands reach down to graze/scratch her tummy. And for a while during bathtime she'd have an urge to scratch, I think the warm water made that area more itchy? Anyways I'll definitely mention it to the Ped when we see him in 1.5 weeks, especially if it's still a problem. I think it's getting a little better, but we'll see in the next few days...

Marie

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 22:55:34 pm »
Could changing washing powders help?

How interesting. We've been using the same powder since her birth. Perhaps it's a similar case to your LO where a change of laundry powder is needed. I hadn't thought of that. Or perhaps I'm putting too much powder in the wash, and it's not being rinsed out as thoroughly? Though, I swear it's the same amount as always.

Marie

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 22:56:36 pm »
Can I encourage you to pop along to the Health/Medical forum and have a look at the Excema Support thread?

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't even considered the possibility of eczema. Will look for that other thread.

Marie