Author Topic: What to do about night feeds?  (Read 9089 times)

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: What to do about night feeds?
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2006, 00:04:52 am »
Cass, I am going crazy!. LO is consistently waking anywhere from 12pm -2am wanting to feed. Sending my husband is just not working. he just stays awake until I finally feed him---I have tried for up to 1 and 1/2 hr---he is losing so much sleep and he is grumpy during the day. He must be hungry as he otherwise is a textbook baby and settles very easily.
I have tried the last couple of days to feed him during the day via bottle just to see how much he is getting, either ebm or formula and he seems to be taking about 7oz each time.

Do you think he is eating enough during the day? I never know if he is having enough solids?
Yesterday:
BF 20min at 6:10am
8am-4tbsp mixed cereal with 1 cube peaches, 1tbsp cut bannana
10:45bottle 6 oz
1pm-2tbsp veg, 3tbsp yogurt, 1 cube peaches, few cheerios
3:45pm-bottle 7oz
5pm-3tbsp mixed chicken,apple,carrot, 3pieces rice pasta
7pm bf--10min or so
awoke at 11:45pm -fussed, started to cry but stopped before we could even get to his room
awoke at 1:20am---fed him about 6min or so----like clockwork woke 4hours later wanting to feed 5:20am--did feed for a few min hopeing he would go back to sleep until regular wake time of 6:15am but alas he never did go back to sleep.

I am going crazy b/c he will only go 4hours after a night feed, this is why I am hopeing for a 2am or later feed but I can't seem to achieve this. why is he so hungry?
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2006, 15:26:19 pm »
CLJK - I hope I didn't alienate you or anyone else.  that definitely wasn't what i meant.  My LO cries but like you said the cries are different and I know them.  Before I did and before I read BW, I didn't want LO to cry at all.  I still don't like it at all but I've realized that I can't stop all fussing cries.  Like this morning, she was fussing because I was running around and it was later than I thought and was time for breakfast.  But it was her "MOM - feed me NOW" cry.  She cried out during the night but I didn't run in and she didn't make another sound.  that was a hard thing for me to learn - wait and see what she does.  I used to run in and ended up waking her up.   >:(  I must have missed something earlier in the post but I was just trying to tell deborah I thought she was doing fine.

Deborah, I'm so sorry to say I STILL haven't read this whole thing.  have you talked to his ped?  It sounds like he's drinking a lot and eating solids.  I don't know much about nursing but is 6 and 10 minutes a normal time for LO to nurse?  Or is that short?  I was wondering if he's really hungry when he eats in the morning or waking to snack a bit and for comfort.  Like I said, I wasn't able to nurse for long so I don't know.  I followed Tracy's advice to determine whether it's habit or hunger when they wake during the night - give pacifier and if that doesn't work LO is hungry.  But I don't know if your LO takes a pacifier or not so that may not work now.
melissa

have you posted on the breast feeding board and see what other nursing moms think?

Offline Tatumsmom

• Kim~ mommy to Tatum and Logan
  • Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2006, 15:44:37 pm »
Hi Deb,
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble with the night feedings. Tatum used to wake up every four hours at night to eat too and you know what really worked for me was not feeding her every for hours during the day. I would vary the times I fed her during the day, sometimes I would what longer or feed her earliar even up to half and hour. I would still feed her around the same times everyday but try not to make it exactally four hours. That really seem to break her internal clock and she learned to go longer at night. If I remember right it only took two days to break the habit of eating every four hours she still woke to eat but the time in between got longer. HTH.
Kim

Offline CLJK

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2006, 03:06:59 am »
Hi Deb -

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going well.  I think the amounts look about right, as that is about what my LO is eating, but each kiddo is different and has his/her own appetite.  Here are the things that stuck out at me that you may want to try:

1)  Try giving more finger foods.  We give cheerios at every meal (after he is done with the mushy stuff, though) and usually throw in some cheese or avocado or tofu.  He also likes Kix cereal.  We tend to give him a few tablespoons of cheerios at each meal and he polishes them off.  I think he gets about 1/2 cup of mushy food at each meal + the finger foods.

2)  Try moving his dinner back a little later.  We tend to feed Gannon around 5:30 and then give him some finger foods while we are eating our dinner.  That way he is getting some food closer to bed but not too close to nursing so he will still nurse pretty well around 7pm before bed.  You also might consider a finger food snack somewhere in the day.  It gives him more practice eating and maybe he will eat a few more calories.

3)  Try going back to breastfeeding rather than bottles (but probably keep one bottle a day so he doesn't forget after all of your hard work!).  It might be that he needs some more "mommy nursing time."  If he only started taking the bottle recently, then he is not really used to being fed that way and nursing is not just about "giving them food."  They come to rely on that kind of contact during the day and if he is getting less of it, then he may wake to get it.  I remember a lactation consultants with whom I spoke said often babies start waking at night when mom goes back to work because they learn that they get mom's undivided attention during a nighttime feed.  Plus pumping and bottles are not necessarily that reliable of a way to figure out how much your LO is eating - they can always get more than a pump, and maybe even a bottle.  They don't tend to take bottles for comfort they way they do the boob, so he may be getting a little more milk while nursing simply because he is "there" longer.

4)  Try a w2s about an hour before his earliest wake up time (so I guess at 11?).  He may just needs to reset his clock.  Or have your DH try it if you are nervous that Noah will wake and then want to nurse since you are in there.

5)  Have DH give him a bottle for one of his nighttime feeds.  I know it is tough to ask them to do that if they have to get up to go to work the next day, but my DH is generally on board with whatever I suggest because he agrees that whatever we try can't be worse than the problem we are trying to fix!!

I hope these help.  Hang in there an be consistent.  Just think, your son is probably just very picky and knows what he wants and will grow up to be a powerful CEO or something like that!!!!

Good luck -

Cass 

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2006, 15:18:35 pm »
3)  Try going back to breastfeeding rather than bottles (but probably keep one bottle a day so he doesn't forget after all of your hard work!).  It might be that he needs some more "mommy nursing time."  If he only started taking the bottle recently, then he is not really used to being fed that way and nursing is not just about "giving them food."  They come to rely on that kind of contact during the day and if he is getting less of it, then he may wake to get it.  I remember a lactation consultants with whom I spoke said often babies start waking at night when mom goes back to work because they learn that they get mom's undivided attention during a nighttime feed.  Plus pumping and bottles are not necessarily that reliable of a way to figure out how much your LO is eating - they can always get more than a pump, and maybe even a bottle.  They don't tend to take bottles for comfort they way they do the boob, so he may be getting a little more milk while nursing simply because he is "there" longer.

I was just reading your post and know that my DS gets much more when he nurses.  I have left a 4-5oz bottle when I have to be away at feeding time and he seems content, even uninterested, by the end.  But when I get home he nurses a lot so he is not full from the bottle.  I think they get much more from nursing than they take from a bottle if they are used to being BF.

Good luck.

Offline debo620

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2006, 22:06:40 pm »
Thanks Cass for all of your suggestions. I think I will introduce some more finger foods as ds is starting to do really well with them and is enjoying feeding himself. I must say I am beyond frustrated and confused. Yesterday, I ended up nursing all day b/c I did not have the time/energy to pump either before or after his feedings.  Anyway, lo woke at 10:30pm!!!! He did not initially seem hungry but, again very difficult to settle. Would settle and start up again. Finally fed him a 5oz formula bottle at 12:15am by dh and then he slept until 6am.
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2006, 03:04:37 am »
Well, if it helps (and I know it really doesn't!!), my little guy has been going back to the 30-40 minute naps.  He had about 75 minutes worth of naps for the whole day.  *sigh*  It's always something!!!

He also could be getting ready to do something developmentally.  Does he crawl yet?  Maybe he is gearing up for that???

Offline debo620

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2006, 03:53:54 am »
Yes , I have been wondering about the starting to crawl b/c it seemed last night that he kept on going up on his knees (he sleeps on his tummy).   No sign  of this going on his knees during the day though!

Good luck with the short naps. I just hate those! We honestly have been dealing with them off and on since my ds was 5weeks old. He even did it when sleeping in the car/driving.
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2006, 21:15:13 pm »
Hi Deb -

Was wondering if it was going any better.  I was reading through my "Super Baby Foods" book today and noticed it said that between ages 8 - 10 mos a baby's appetite will increase substantially and that this is the time to start introducing snacks during the day.  As I recall from DS#1, I would just give him a few finger foods to munch on right after a BF and then have lunch (or dinner, as the case may be).  That got him used to having a snack.  Then when I weaned him he went right to having snacks instead of nursing immediately after a nap.  It might help?!?!?!?

-Cass

Offline debo620

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2006, 01:43:01 am »
Hi Cass, yes we have done a lot more finger foods this week and it does seem to have helped. The last three nights, ds woke a 2:30am, 3:15 , and 4am---my husband has been doing these feeds with 4oz formula mixed to 5oz (extra water). The only problem has beem ds won't go back to sleep! Last night, woke at 4am , fed immediately, he talked and what not in his room until 5am, started crying by 5am--had to go in a couple of times and he finally went back to sleep at 5:40am!!!! So there went our 6:30am start---we all slept until 7:10am.

I also am playing with the idea--and tried it today--to actually space out and combine two breast feeds (so that he is down to 3). I was finding it very difficult to fit in a full breastfeed after 2nd nap, plus a full supper, plus another full breastfeed before bed only 3.25 hrs afterwards. most of the time he would only eat for a few min at bedtime.

here's how today went
wake, bf at 7:15--bf well
9am solids-3tbsp oat cereal with 3tbsp fruit, handful cheerios
nap 10-11:15am
lunch 11:30am --4tbsp yougurt with apple sauce (100ml) with 3tbsp veg,handful pasta,2 baby mum crackers.
1:30pm bf---very hungry and ate very well !!! 15min yey!
nap 3:10-4:25pm
5pm supper-1tbsp chicken /veg-didn't like it, 2tbzp zucchini bits finger food, cheese-1cm thick by 2in ch square piece cut up-loved, handful cheerios, 1/4 peach cut up.
7:15pm-BF--hungry for it! 15min and bed

What do you give for protein in your son's diet being that you are vegetarian? I have been looking for some good tofu, lentils etc recipes? I gave tofu the other day as finger food---kind of bland though. Have you ever seen that dessert tofu---bannana flavoured etc> Seems to have a bit of sugar though. Have you tried it?
My son is growing tired of chicken and I really need some forms of protein other then dairy.
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2006, 02:56:15 am »
Sounds like Noah is doing better with BFing!  Gannon didn't do well today, so I ended up giving him more finger food snacks, which he loves.  I remember from DS#1 that I was only nursing 4 times a day at this age:  am, after am nap, after pm nap, and before bed (of course, he was sleeping through the night at this point!!).

As far as protein finger foods, I tend to give tofu (he likes it okay, not in love with it - I use extra firm and crumble the small pieces), cheese (he loves the "Babybel" cheese - they are mild, soft, and sort of creamy - just the right texture for him), and have given him some beans.  I take 4-5 canned beans (rinsed very well; usually I am making them with our dinner), rub off the skins (they are tough to eat if you don't take off the skins), and then kind of smush them and break them up a bit.  He likes cannellini beans the best because they are soft and mild-flavored.  I think I mentioned before that I mix lentils in with his other food cubes, too.  I cooked them until pretty mushy and used my stick blender to puree them.  Then I freeze them in ice cube trays and add one cube to his veggies.   Right now he really likes these combos:  one cube apples, one cube buttnerut squash, one cube lentils, mixed with a little cereal.  He also likes pureed broccoli, apples and lentils.  I tend to add apples to a lot of new things I try so the tase will be a little familiar and a little sweet.  Another legume that is quick and easy is split peas.  They cook quickly like lentils and are sweet tasting.  I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will.

Oh, and things like yogurt and cottage cheese are great and easy.  Try mixing some cottage cheese a bit of fruit puree so it's not as strong a flavor.  Most people eat waaaaayyy more protein than they need.  I read that a kids my 3yo's age only need 16 grams of protein/day.  He get's that in his two servings of milk and the other foods he eats (grains and veggies all have protein, too).  I don't recall what an 8mos old needs, but he is probably getting what he needs from BM.  They, of course, won't be on BM forever, so you just want to introduce the foods now as they slowly start to replace the BM.  I wouldn't worry too much about exactly how much protein he is getting as long as his diet is varied.

By the way, my 3yo still eats tofu.  It is a little bland, but most babies and kids prefer the blander foods.  I think it's great that he will still eat tofu with his meal!  It's a healthy, EASY food!!!

-Cass

Offline debo620

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2006, 04:01:48 am »
Thanks Cass,
I am going to try the pureed lentils mixed with other veg--good idea! That being said,Noah seems to be mr independent these days, not really interested in being fed but totally excited about finger foods!
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2006, 15:27:14 pm »
have you seen this thread?  i don't know if it will be helpful or not for either of you guys.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=46907.0

Offline debo620

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2006, 16:48:07 pm »
Hi Cass, well Noah did fairly well last night. Slept from 7:20pm-5:40am--woke out of hunger, unfortunatly did not go back to sleep afterwards so we started our day early.  It would have been perfect if he would of slept until 6 or later. He never really sleeps more then 10.5 hrs at night. And he sleeps anywhere from 2.5-3hrs during the day. So if he starts sleeping completely through--I will have to see what his wakeup time is.
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline debo620

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2006, 16:48:46 pm »
Sorry Cass, I also meant to ask you how Gannon was doing? and I forgot
Deborah,