Author Topic: Wants things but can't say it!!! Wants to go places but can't!!!  (Read 1719 times)

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
Hi!

I would like some help and advice. My little man is 8 months old and is not quite crawling yet. He gets on his hands and knees and rocks back and forth or pushes himself backwards and also tries to stand (push-up position). He also REALLY enjoys when we help him 'walk' around.

Now, all that is fine but what is zapping my energy is that now that he knows there are ways to get around, he wants to but can't do it on his own... yet. (I know I might want this the other way around when he does get mobile!!! ha! ha!  ::) ) The thing is, he now whines to go where he wants to go and get what he wants to get. Which leads me to the other issue, he -of course- can't express himself and his needs yet so he grunts and whines for this as well.

All this whinning and grunting is what is zapping my energy and I know it's only a stage and it will pass, and that he is learning therefore I need to repeat a lot and watch for his bored signs. But I would just like to hear of ideas to help us both through this phase.

Thanks!
marilyn
Marilyn,
mom to Nathan - december 6, 2005
& Lilymae - June 20, 2008

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Wants things but can't say it!!! Wants to go places but can't!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 17:47:44 pm »
OK first off, I LOVE your avatar.  What a cutie you've got there :)

Sounds to me like your LO is on the verge of some developmental stuff -- is he able to get around at all?  My DD was pretty happy rolling or scooting around on her back for awhile before she started crawling.  Maybe if you put a few of his toys just out of his reach so he'd have to roll/scoot/crawl (whatever) over them he'd realize that he had the ability to actually get somewhere.  Does he enjoy being in a jumper or an exersaucer?  Maybe he just likes to be upright (though at this point if he's not in them yet it wouldn't be the time to start). 

The communication issue are tough too.  He's going to find a way of expressing himself -- just takes a bit.  Sign language might be an option you would want to try.  There's a great thread on it at the top of this forum.  I haven't done it personally but I know a ton of people who have said it makes all the difference in the world.  And yes, repetition really is so important to them at this age -- they just have to do things over and over and over and over.

I'm going to keep thinking, but I hope that he starts being happier soon!  It's tough to have a whiny baby on your hands all day.

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 18:07:45 pm »
Yup, sign language!  DS isn't talking yet and he uses it to let us know when he's hungry, wants water or milk, more of something, now even says "Thank you" and "please"!  :o :o

Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 20:31:10 pm »
Thanks for both of your replies and suggestions!

Yup, sign language! DS isn't talking yet and he uses it to let us know when he's hungry, wants water or milk, more of something, now even says "Thank you" and "please"! :o :o

I am using sign language for 'eat', 'more', 'all done' for the moment. How old is your little one? and when did your signing start paying off (I mean when did he start responding)?

OK first off, I LOVE your avatar. What a cutie you've got there :)

Sounds to me like your LO is on the verge of some developmental stuff -- is he able to get around at all? Does he enjoy being in a jumper or an exersaucer? Maybe he just likes to be upright

Thanks! I think he's pretty cute too! (but I'm biased!!!  ::) )

He is able to get around a little by pushing himself backwards and rolls - but I don't think he realizes what empowerment this is! He loves his exersaucer and jumper! But only so much so, because after a while I guess he realizes these aren't taking him anywhere!!! and he does love being upright (especially standing!). My back is starting to be sore from me helping him walk around...

I guess I'm already doing all I can and just need to build up patience to wait this out. It's just a phase!
Marilyn,

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 02:45:23 am »
Sounds like he's a spirited little guy (and I agree that he's an absolute cutie!). Seriously, don't worry too much about the developmental milestones, even if he's raring to go. When his body is ready, he'll take off. You don't have to hurt your back helping him walk.  ;) This way, he'll be motivated to crawl and cruise all on his own.

I've been doing signs with ds since I think around 9 mo, and I started with the same exact signs that you mentioned! I don't remember exactly when he started using them but it was after his first birthday. Once he realized that I understood what he wanted by using the signs, he used them more. (and made up some of his own. ??? Unfortunately, now I don't know what he's trying to say sometimes *lol*)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 14:11:52 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement!
Marilyn,