Author Topic: 8mo Just started to Refuse Solids  (Read 3446 times)

Offline *Kimberly*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
8mo Just started to Refuse Solids
« on: November 02, 2006, 00:20:16 am »
My lo is 8mo.  He was sick for a little bit and he began eating less.  Then he got better, but he continued to eat less.  Before he got sick he was eating 10oz+ of solids a day.  Now we are lucky if we can get 3oz.  He has always loved the Gerber stars but he has even begun to refuse those.  For the most part we can get one spoonful in and then it becomes a battle.  We have to trick him into the next couple bites.  After about an oz he will refuse it all and become fussy if we push it.  Then I will offer stars or a Biter Biscuit.  He will eat a couple stars and then refuse them.  With the biscuit he will chew on it for a little bit and then play with it and drop it.  He has increased his fluids so I have not been super worried about him.  He used to drink about 20oz a day, then we got it up to 24oz before he got sick.  Now he drinks between 24oz and 30oz.  I thought it might be spoon refusial but he is not eating a lot of finger foods either.  I am not sure when I should begin to get worried about this, we are going on day three or so with under 3oz of solids.  I am getting concerned that he is not getting the nutrients he needs.  I can tell that he is not getting enough to eat because his A time has shortened.

Thanks.

Kimberly
aka Brendan's Mom

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: 8mo Just started to Refuse Solids
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:23:53 am »
Could he be teething?  sometimes when lo are teething they will refuse the spoon

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:47:22 am »
We thought he might be teething because he ws drooling like crazy, (he has four teeth currently) but we can't find anything and now he is not really drooling anymore.

Kimberly

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 01:55:23 am »
Agree with Lana sounds like it could be teething. At this age milk is still their most important intake and solids is just to get them use to different textures/tastes. How often are you giving solids/milk? What food have you given so far? Are you still giving puree?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 02:06:27 am »
He gets 4 bottles a day, and 3 solids meals.  I was just concerned becaue it was such a huge drop in intake.  I felt a little better because the liquids was up a little.

He has eaten pretty much everything.  He is beginning to eat finger foods.  He has some trouble swallowing the finger foods after he has chewed them so he does not eat a lot of finger foods.  I mainy do 2nd foods with rice cereal if they are really thin and 3rd foods.  He prefers (or used to) the thicker foods.

Kimberly

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 02:41:44 am »
my DD is about 8.5 months.  She got an ear infection and thrush over the weekend.  a little before that and still she's hardly eating any solids.  and her milk intake has gone down.  she was taking about 12 oz of solids a day and maybe 26 oz of milk.  Now it's like 6-8 oz of solids and 22 oz of milk.

I don't know why.  ALthough this isn't the first time she's gone through a phase where she doesn't eat much.  I dont really have any suggestions except to say give it a week or so and if there's still a problem, i'd call his doc and make sure he's ok.  but i've noticed a lack of interest in food goes away after a bit.
melissa

i have a question for you - i see your LO is in the tub.  does he like playing with those letters?  my LO gets bored in the tub.  plus - how do you wash his bottom?  I still can't figure out a way to clean LO's bottom if she's sitting on it.

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 02:48:49 am »
I agree with Melissa - I'd take him back for a re-check make sure it isn't hurting to chew and swallow.  Poor babe!  Hugs to him and you.

Melissa - Owen has those letters too, he loves them.  To wash his butt and wee - I lay him down on his back with his head on my right arm, I hold him and washy, washy the important parts with my left hand.  Then he rolls like an alligator and tried to swim or something LOL.

Love,
Zoe

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 02:51:05 am »
thanks zoe.  how much water do you put in the tub?  sorry to get off track but i just started addison in a bigger bathtub (the inflatable ones) since the site's been down and i'm not sure how to adjust washing.

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 03:06:37 am »
Sorry Kimberly!   :-*

Melissa, I put in enough so it just covers his knees when he is sitting.  It's shallow enough so if he was to lay down flat, it covers his ear but not his face and mouth lol.  You could always wrap your arm around her and lift her slightly and wash her bum that way.  It sure is tricky, and wet baby is the slippery-est thing going lol.

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 03:10:19 am »
yes - a slippery, wiggling spirited baby is tricky.  i'm going to try that tomorrow. 

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 04:00:40 am »
Thanks for highjacking my thread.  lol

My little one loves the letters because he can chew on them.  To wash his bottom, I will lean him forward a little on my arm and get up underneith him.  Or I will stand him up and hold him with one arm though that way is a little more difficult.  Most of the time I just try to get is clean with wipes during diaper changes.

Back to me...

I was thinking about going back to the doctor.  I just hate to pay the $20 to have her say that it is normal.  Maybe I will call the doc tomorrow and leave a message and see what she says.  I will also try giving him some teething meds before eating, maybe some Orajel.  He is just having trouble with his naps and I think it has to do with the fact that he is not eating enough.  Poor little guy.

Kimberly

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 04:21:53 am »
You know me Kimberly, can't seem to keep my mouth shut when I have an opinion!  I wouldn't give oragel before eating or drinking.  We don't use it at all acutally.  It is far too numbing - put some in your mouth, it numbs your tongue, gums, throat.  I would think that it may be too dangerous before eating or drinking, having your throat numbed...  of course that is my opinion for what it's worth.

Have you tried Hylands or Mortin?

I'd definately call seeing as he was recently ill.

Sorry bout the highjacking!  Hope things improve for him  :-*

Zoe
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 04:26:48 am by Zoey™ »

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 15:32:14 pm »
So this morning hubby managed to get him to eat 3oz of yogurt.  He said that he ate about 2oz on his own and the other oz using bribery.  So that is great!  I hope it keeps up.

I agree with the orajel, to a degree.  It is very numbing, but it doesn't last very long.  We use the hylands for the most part but it doesn't seem to work as quickly or work as well if he is really hurting.  The orajel works quickly.  I see your point about numbing to eat.  I personally use orajel when i get bad canker sores and it hurts to eat.

I left a message with the doc, i figured that would be cheaper then just going in.  We'll see what she says.

I am always open to your opinion Zoey, even if I don't agree with it.  ;D

Kimberly

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 15:35:46 pm »
 ;D

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 23:51:42 pm »
So the doc's office called back and said to start offering the solids first and then the bottle.  So for dinner he got his solids first and he ate 3oz.  Now I am about to make him his bottle so we will see how much he eats then.

Kimberly