Author Topic: confused about first A time length  (Read 1613 times)

Offline 2sweetgirls

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 15, 2007, 16:55:44 pm »
I'm completely confused by my 4 mo. DD A time right after she wakes for the day.  She typically wakes between 7 and 8 AM.  Right around 45 minutes of being awake she yawns and gives me her sleepy signals.  I have put her down at this time and could get a nice nap out of her (1.5-2.5 hours).  Recently she has been waking up from this nap after 45 minutes.  So, I tried to stretch out her A time over the past few days and still get nothing but 45 minute naps out of her.  She wakes from these with happy squeals, no fussing.  So now I wonder if I should keep her up longer or return to the shorter A time of 45 minutes.  I just want her to take a decent nap as it sets the pace for the rest of the day.  I thought we were over the 45 minute naps and now here they are again. Grrrrr!!!

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: confused about first A time length
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 20:52:55 pm »
Can you post what your typical day looks like including E how much,  A  - what you do and how long, Winddown, S how long etc.

Thanks

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline 2sweetgirls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:32:54 am »
Schedule is a bit of a mess as we had shots just over a week ago and that bumped us off.  Typical day goes something like this:

7:30 AM Awake
E: 7:45 (BF)
A: 8:15
S: 9:00 (sometimes 45 min, 1 hr 10 min, up to 3 hours but this was a couple of days after shots and putting her down after only 45 min total time after waking)
E: 11:15 (5-6 oz)
A: 11:45
S: 1:00 (sometimes 45 min and she is awake but will eventually go back to sleep with or w/o my help or will spmetimes sleep straight through for1.5-2 hours)
E: 2:45 (5-6 oz)
A: 3:15
S: 5:00 (45 min)
E: 5:45
S: 7:15 (bedtime routine is massage, pj's, feed (3 oz), stories, prayer, song- takes about 35 min total in bed usually by 7:15)
Wakes ususally at 1-2 and 4-5 AM for a light feed and right back asleep.  I am going to drop one but want to get our days on track first before I go messing with night.  If she wakes any other time she puts herself back to sleep within a few minutes.

Our wind down for naps includes little stimulation for 15 min or so, bring to nursery, read story, sing and in bed.  This last part takes about 10 minutes.  She did give yawns as her tired signal but we don't see those as much now.  As I mentioned in my original post she will often give yawns after being awake for her day for only 45 min.  In the past I put her down and she would often take a good nap but I haven't kept track of our days and am not sure how often that was.  I feel like we are all over the map and sometimes we do EASAEAS and so on if she goes with a 45 min nap and I can't extend.  I just want to get a good rhythm but it never seems to settle into anything.  I'm confused as well if she does only take a 45 min nap should I put her down after she has been up for 1.5 to 2 hours or giving tired signals or if I should push her to the next nap time to stay on the EASY day.  I just don't want her to become overtired as those are the nights she wakes more frequently and earlier in the morning.  Even though she puts herself back down it still wakes me up and I love to sleep and want her to have good sleep.  It also messes with the next day as she wakes up earlier and then we are off.

My family thinks I am the nap nazi.  Isn't that awful?  I was called that when sleep training my first daughter via BW techniques.  I am a believer and my 3.5 year old is proof this works.  I am just losing my way with this second one.  You always think you will remember what you did and what their schedule was like at different ages but no.  I have become dumber with each pregnancy.  I can only hope my brains have gone to my children.

Offline magda1461

• Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two Angels that where sent to me
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:14:08 am »
hate to tell u this but u may be getting a 45min nap monster... many of the mums in my thread may/june06 babies all experienced this around the 4mth mark... and really my LO only started going longer again once she was 6mths old.

Offline 2sweetgirls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 14:15:17 pm »
But it can't be!  We just fought 45 minute naps a month ago and thought we won.  I suppose I should appreciate the reprieve and just hold out until 6 months.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 20:20:48 pm »
From the looks of your routine, I would think your lo may be ready to transition to a longer time between feeds.

At 4 months, your lo would be looking to go more towards a 4 hour EASY.  If you don't think your lo is ready for the 4 hour, you can always transition to the 3.5 hour first and then slowly move to the 4 hour EASY.

The 45 minute naps are a sure sign that your lo is ready to transition and extend her A time.

Have a look at this link.....

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63161.0

Let us know what you think and how you get on.

Offline 2sweetgirls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 02:03:53 am »
Thank you for the thoughts.  I think she could go to a 4 hour myself from what I've witnessed today.  The first awake time she was giving her sleepy signs at 45 minutes so I decided to go with it and put her to sleep.  Well of course she was up after 45 minutes ready to conquer the world.  I then had her awake time go to 2 hours with her feed just before she went down which ended up being about 3.5 hours after the first feed of the day.  She then slept for nearly 3 hours bringing the next feed to a 4 hour spread.  The rest of the day played out just as it should with the catnap at the end.  Tomorrow I will try an awake time of close to 2 hours or so right away before the first nap and see how it goes.  I know she can take the good naps but she obviously just needs to be tired enough to do so.  Wish us luck!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 20:22:06 pm »
Good Luck!!

Defintely sounds like the 4 Hour EASY is the way to go.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Offline 2sweetgirls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 21:14:44 pm »
Well the update isn't so good.  She was awake for 1 hour 45 minutes before her first nap and it only lasted 45 minutes.  She was in her crib grumbling for another almost 35 minutes and finally went back to sleep for another 45 minute nap.  She was then awake for 2 hours and went down for only about 35 minutes.  She would not go back to sleep and I finally stopped trying. There is always tomorrow.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 21:20:39 pm »
Hmmmm,

Sounds like the 4 hour may be a bit long for her and she is getting overtired.

I would try the 3.5 hour and see how she goes from there.

Offline 2sweetgirls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 16:41:05 pm »
I just think this is a phase and no matter what I do she will only sleep 45 minutes for the morning nap.  She woke at 7:40 AM, fed her at 7:50 and started her winddown to nap at 9:05.  She squealed and talked for about 15 minutes before she fell asleep and woke 45 minutes later.  She has since been in her crib shrieking happily interspersed with a bit of crying.  Overall she is very alert and giving no signs of sleepiness.  It's been about 45 minutes that she has been in her crib after waking and I have lost hope that she will go back to sleep.  She is very wiggly right now and perhaps she wants to be up practicing her rolls or her body just has to move.  I hope the afternoon nap goes better.

Offline 2sweetgirls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 19:13:40 pm »
Aaarrgghhh!  No, the afternoon nap is not any better.  In fact, it's worse.  She was up a total of 2 hours before the second nap.  She woke after only 30 minutes.  What is wrong with her?  She gives no signals of sleepiness anymore and I'm guessing she is overtired due to the severe shortening.  We are in for it tonight as I'm sure she won't settle into a good night time sleep.  I just want to rip my hair out.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 20:12:01 pm »
Can you post the routine that you have been following for the last few days so that we can have a look at it.

Including your A time what you do and how long, your windown routine and how she gets to sleep.

It does sound like she is overtired though.

Hugs, I know it is hard, but I can promise you that things do get easier with time.  I know you don't want to hear the with time bit, but it will  :-*

Developmental milestones can also affect sleep drastically.  If you are saying that she is starting to roll, this may very well be the problem.