Author Topic: picky eater  (Read 5824 times)

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 22:27:49 pm »
well I will see what i can do this week. This afternoon around 3:30ish I tried a snack. She had 1/2 of  "4 oz" containor of peach yo baby yogurt. Is that good?
I have tried that yogurt a few times to no avail. Although one time she did eat 1/2 of  "4 oz" containor of vanila yo baby yogurt and than never would eat it again "lol". She also had a slice of american cheese and for supper some decent amounts of spoonfuls of little shaped pastas from a progresso soup she seems to like sometimes. Probably not what other 11 1/2 month olds eat, but better than other meals/days. I gave her the last bottle before bed. I did end up giving her an 8 oz bottle though as she is used to having between 8 and 11 oz for her last bottle. I will be working on cutting down her bottles though.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 23:19:12 pm »
Do you think I should try offering one of her bottles in a sippy instead of a bottle? Which one? Or is that too much at once.

PS....Unfortunately for some reason she was a bit of a bear to get to sleep. Cried and Cried if I left the room and while in there she wanted to play up a storm. It was a battle I thought would never be over. This was overtiredness for sure, but I also gave into giving her another 3 OZ after she had already had 8oz before going up to bed. I don't know why she wants to drink so much before bed.

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 04:11:30 am »
I wouldn't offer a sippy cup yet. Wait until you can a new "feeding routine" established and before making any more big changes!

Sorry you had a rough time getting her to bed. But on a postive note if there was one bottle that you were going to "give in" on the bedtime bottle is the best one, as it is less likely to affect her daytime solid intake compared to a daytime bottle! Let us know how tomorrow goes.

andibig

Re: picky eater
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 11:29:26 am »
i agree that the last btl you want to give up is the bedtime one.its no harm them having that as they like the extra cuddle time.sasha only recently transitioned to a sippy cup for her milk.
she'd drink everything else out of a sippy cup just not milk!!!
I wouldn't push the sippy cup but i did notice she only has milk to drink.what you could try which we did with sasha is leave a sippy cup of water lying about.she'll probably throw it about etc for the first few days until they get the idea of drinking out of it.
that way you are not pushing the sippy cup but letting her do it at her own pace.
i like the idea of the yoghurt for a snack.remember as you cut down milk you can substitute it for other milk products like yoghurt.

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 13:19:27 pm »
but do you think that getting to the point where she's having 11 oz for her last bottle is a bit much?
I'm sorry I didn't mention it, but she drinks water on a fairly regular basis for a sippy cup. i have to hold it for her. She has a couple different kinds of sippy cups. She seems to do ok with all of them. except she spits the water out of her mouth and gets herself soaked sometimes. usually I take it away at that point.

she slept thru the night last night so basically 7:30pm until 6:30am. I did give her the bottle first, but cut it from 8oz down to 6oz. this was 6:30. We tried breakfast at 8am and 8:45am. totally refused. I went shopping yesterday and got what was once her favorite fruit...cantaloup and I also tried some pancake pieces. She threw them around and tried to eat a couple pieces to only spit it out. I can't tell if she's teething. i don't see any coming in, but ya never know.

Im going to try to concentrate on bringing her 4 bottles down today so we'll see.

Offline taygensmom

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 13:51:37 pm »
I think 11 oz for her last bottle is too much. It's OK to give a little extra for that last bottle (i.e. 8 instead of 6 oz), but I wouldn't give more than that. Even though this bottle is less likely to affect her overall solid intake (because it's her last feed until morning) she only needs a certain number of calories per 24 hr period, so if she goes too overboard with this last bottle she is really reducing the number of total calories she needs to take during the day. I would still aim for a max of about 20 oz. milk per day. You could spread that out however you want; however, if you give much more than this you may continue to have difficulties with solids. HTH.

andibig

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 19:09:07 pm »
I think 11oz is quite a large amt considering her milk intake during the day.
you have to remember that once they hit a year old they eat even less ::) and milk that they took through the night really does affect their appetite.
i think there is a possibilty she got some teeth coming.so you can offer softer solids.if she likes fruit you could try steaming it and see if she takes it that way.

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 22:42:52 pm »
Well today we definetely worked on the bottles. She had three 6 oz bottles and the last bottle 8 oz. She's up in her crib and playing/not sleeping yet so I hope she goes down ok. She took a nice 2 hour nap earlier today. It's 7pm now. But, unfortunately she did really yucky. Basically no breakfast, lunch or dinner. At 3:30pm, I did get her to eat some more of the peach yogurt and she let me feed her some pieces of a bananna. It almost ended up being half the banana. She also took a FEW bites of some mashed potatoes tonight. Other than that she just played and spit things out and/or threw the food onto the floor. Teething could be the culprit. She definetely has some signs. But we don't see any signs at all in her mouth. well go to go...she's crying up there and I have to go help her now. darn it all. She does so good when she falls asleep on her own. ; )

oh and I also did a few rounds for each meal. I didn't go over board. The last bottle "after trying dinner" she grabbed my arm she wanted it so bad.

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 09:22:02 am »
this hasn't happened in awhile. 5am wakeup. 6:30 has been average. we are downstairs now. bummer

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 20:49:01 pm »
going in the right direction hopefully. She has had three 6 oz bottles so far today. 5:40am, 9am, and about 1pm.
some scrambled eggs for breakfast. did ok I guess. still wont eat her "used to be" favorite canaloup pieces. NO lunch basically. I also tried the yogurt at lunch time but she wouldn't let me put it in her mouth. supper was not too bad. she ate a fairly ok amount of some pasta pieces from a progresso soup. There big enuf for her to feed herself and than I managed to get 3/4 of a 4OZ containor of peach yogurt in her.

Offline taygensmom

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 20:56:02 pm »
Good for you both! Really impressed with how you're sticking in there!!!!!

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 13:01:55 pm »
she slept thru the night again. Was sleeping by 7:30pm, but woke up at 5:30 ish am. She's been sleeping about an hour less than usual total at night. Anyways, she had a 6 oz bottle at 6am and another 6 oz bottle at 9am. At around 7:30am ish we had a fruit party. except I was the only one eating "lol". apple, nice soft banana and a few pieces of an inside of a grape. She played with it and whined to get down. So no breakfast. AT about 8:45am, just to see i gave her a piece of nice soft bread. She has liked bread before. No luck. She sucked back her bottle though. I hope everything is ok. She has had a lot of ear infections but I don't see any signs like I have before. although sometimes she seems a bit cranky. welp there is still lunch and dinner to get thru today. ; )

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 13:37:58 pm »
I definitely think 12 ounces of milk by 9am is too much - no way she'll be hungry for meals then. I really would recommend cutting each of those back to 4 ounces.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 21:38:05 pm »
She woke early, but her first 2 bottles of the day I only gave her 5 oz. Luckily for me, she took it rather well and didn't bed/cry for more. So 5oz bottle at 6am and 9am. Than 6 oz bottle at 1pm and last bottle will be between 6 and 6:30, probably a good 8 oz. But 2 bottles at 5oz is a big difference from 8 oz bottles.

Now at 7;30am I tried breakfast. As she has a few times this week when I made them...she had some scrambled eggs. Probably about 1 EGG which was mixed with 1/2 slice of american cheese.
At about noon time, I tried lunch. Not much. MAYBE 5 of those small turkey dices from beachnut, 1/2 slice of american cheese. Tried toast with applesauce as I got the idea from here. No Go. Nice soft bread too. She did eat 2 small pieces. At around 4:45 she had some noodles. I tried peas which she used really like and at one time was one of FEW items she would eat. She didn't want them.

I was wondering for her age what you thought of HOW many noodle pieces she ate. Here is 2 pictures. One of before and one of after. That doesn't include a few pieces she threw to the floor.

binxyboo

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 21:41:24 pm »
I would think that's a good amount? It looks as though there is butter on there, is there?

Remember, portion size really is small, esp at that age. Adults tend to have a distorted view of what even an appropriate adult sizing of food is, at least I am whenever I read about it.