Author Topic: Types of Bottles / Best Colic Reducing Bottles  (Read 153876 times)

Offline arbour01

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • James Euan
Re: Types of Bottles / Best Colic Reducing Bottles
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2010, 17:25:28 pm »
Ontario Canada
Used platex nursers - they have collapsible liners that are super easy to use and low or high flow nipples (latex) or silicone ones in high flow

Personally I LOVED these - Easy to make up bottles and I never had issues with nipple confusion - I was BFing my LO and DH gave dream feed bottle starting at the 3 wk mark. There is a starter kit that has 5 nipples (all low flow) and liners and 2 4oz bottle and 3 8oz bottles.. a friend told me about it and There are 4 of us in a group form work that all use these.

Cheers

Offline Mama_Mia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2011, 00:30:47 am »
Hi, we are in the US ...When my DGS was born  I tried numerous bottles and many different nipples. As he seemed to have a problem sucking and swallowing, he would choke so often I was scared to feed him. I finally went with the Platex Nurser with the drop in liners, with a newborn latex nipple. The collapsible liners kept him from sucking air.

Offline Natalie Maryam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 15:20:59 pm »
HI!

I can actually give input on this. We used Nuk, Avent, Born free and Medela all in Canada. We also used Dr. Browns from Canada (with valve). But then my mum brought me Dr. Browns from the UK and Voila! Did the trick. I would see, if I were you if you can order them from Mothercare or somewhere like that???

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2011, 16:05:38 pm »
In my own experience as a mum of two reflux boys the bottle makes a HUGE difference as to how much air they get in their tums, for example I tried a Nuk anti colic bottle the other day and he was screaming within minutes and the burps I got out of him was ridiculous. I do not have this issue with Dr Browns.

Natalie - whatsthe difference with the UK and Canada dr browns??

Offline swtangel102

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2011, 09:23:54 am »
In the beginning we used Advent bottles for our little one, but realized he was really gassy and the flows (for newborn) were still too much for him.  We tried other bottles such as Playtex (cause we were advised that the latex teats were slow flowing and good to use, but it didn't help much either. Finally we tried and stuck with the Medela Calma.  It's expensive, but it is suppose to mimic the breast and it works well for him.  The milk only comes out when he sucks, unlike the Advent and Playtex which still flowed out even when he wasn't sucking.  Probably will switch back to Advent when he gets a bit older. 

Offline Strawberri

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2011, 03:52:59 am »
Adiri all the way!!!! but not the old ones. they leak. Get the new ones by reliabrand. they have a e store opening this month. this bottle is AMAZING!!!!

Offline LarasMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2012, 10:21:25 am »
Ontario, Canada

Bottles I have used/tried: Avent, Nuk, Playtex Ventaire Advanced (wide & standard nipples), Dr.Browns.

Avent: This was the first bottle we used. A girlfriend of mine had given them to me and highly recommended them. When we had a latching issue, this was the bottle I had given my DD to supplement formula on and since giving DD the bottle she has refused my breast. I found the nipple (size 1, the slowest flow they have) to drip a lot of milk when turned upside down. DD didn't have a problem with these bottles in the beginning, and was downing 3oz in under 10mins. Eventually they became a problem, and DD started to get gas pains. That's when I decided to play with bottles to see if it'd help.

Pros: I love how these bottles look. I never had an issue with them leaking.
Cons: The nipple was too fast for DD. The bottle(with the wide nipples, too) had given Lara preference to bottle over breast.

Nuk: The next bottle I tried was Nuk. We did not get very far with this one as the orthodontic nipple did NOT go over very well with DD. I made sure to have the nipple placed correctly in her mouth, and it took her forever (I think 20mins was how long I tried) to even get 1/2oz into her and she became a cranky girl. Not sure if it was she didn't like the shape of the nipple or if the flow was too slow for her. DD however did not have her "episode" after the bottle

Pros: Not really sure on this one as I didn't give the bottle much chance. I guess the orthodontic nipple would be a pro.
Cons: Too slow of flow.

Playtex Ventaire Advanced: We tried this bottle next, and tried both standard and wide nipples to see if there was much difference. The first bottle I used was the standard nipple and I noticed a great improvement in DD's comfort level, although she still had gas pains, and was still eating way too quickly (2 1/2oz in under 10mins--no lie). I had gotten a wide nipple to see if there would be a difference in how slow it'd get her to eat, and I found that immediately she was much more uncomfortable and cranky after eating. I'm not all too sure if the standard nipple I used first had caused further laziness on DD's part or not.

Pros: There was a marginal improvement in DDs discomfort with the bottle, and even still a marginal improvement from nipple to nipple.
Cons: Still caused DD to be uncomfortable enough to make me want to try one more bottle.

Dr.Browns: The last and final bottle I will ever be using. In a desperate attempt to relieve my little girl's discomfort, we made a trip out today to get this bottle. And I have to say, wow! I'm impressed. I've given her 4 feedings from this bottle, and it's a complete 180! Yes, DD still is a little bit gassy, but I'd have to say she's honestly 95% better. There's no more scrunching of her features when presented with the bottle, and no more "mommy your poisioning me" faces as she's eating. There is no going beet-red in the face, clenching her fists, kicking her legs, drawing them up to her tummy, grunting or groaning anymore. I noticed she is not nearly half as hard to get to burp, although she is still a difficult burper. I also noticed she's passing wind easier as well, but this could be she may have finally figured it out as well.

Pros: With my DD, this bottle actually works. The bottles I picked up (the glass ones, not sure if any of the plastic ones were as well) were made in USA which is a big deal in my household as we are trying to support our own economy as best as possible. Our rule is North American made (Mexico included, Canada preferred over all else) unless we absolutely cannot find it. The glass is also a plus for me as I know for sure there is no BPA in that.

Cons: I personally do not find the extra pieces a bother but I suppose I could see how they would be. The glass bottles are bit bulky. Pricey, but still worth the extra money in our case. There is not enough variety in multi-packs (i.e no starter kit like the Playtex Ventiare Advanced).

I would highly recommend the Dr.Browns to a friend, and plan to do so as two of my friends are expecting.
~*Heather-Lynn*~

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 20:11:01 pm »
In NZ it's avent all the way, have managed to avoid colic by using the colic rings.  Also popular are the tommie tippie's

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2013, 08:24:40 am »
Also posting from nz. We had to move to bottle feeding (neocate) when T was 10 weeks. He also suffers from terrible reflux and wind. Avent gave him a ton of wind and he couldn't manage the teat very well but the 'closer to nature' tommee tippee bottles have been amazing in comparison! We are using the variable flow teat.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline amandacan

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2013, 00:08:28 am »
we used dr browns with our daughter
but my son would not take them
we are using tommee tippee now but he does not seem to latch on to them right or something
the nipple keeps collasping in his mouth causing bad gass
might try the doctor browns again in a while
cause we are only on day 3 of bottle feeding

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2013, 00:24:18 am »
Amanda are you using var flow? The others did the same thing for T
***Sara***

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2013, 16:39:19 pm »
So I just recently purchased an Avent bottle for my lo to try.  We have the dr browns and the playtex nursers and both are great in my opinion, however I was looking for something easy to clean and not so costly.  I saw where several had success with Avent and we tried one when we first started but the one we had I'm not sure if the ring was missing or the nipple was old and the flow was way too fast.  So I just bought a new one to try and have some questions.  With the ring does that make it var flow?  It says it has a level 2 with 2 holes for 1+ month but then it also says something about flows with baby's suck so I'm confused.  Also I notice while she's drinking I have to take it out often to let the air in guess as there several bubbles I see in the nipple, will this eventually cause gas?  Are there differences in where you get the bottles like for exp will uk Avent be different then us.  I am in us and on the bottle I have there are Ozs for uk and us as they are a little different.  Do the Tommee tippee have a lot of parts to wash?  I see a lot recommend them also.
Tina

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2013, 22:41:29 pm »
I think with avent in nz we don't have rings ??? And we have a var flow nipple. Personally I found avent terrible for Thomas. But, they were fine for Zac.

The TT closer to nature ones have been great for T. Not lots of part. Just bottle, ring and nipple.
http://m.tommeetippee.us/department/closer-to-nature/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:25:02 am by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2013, 04:18:45 am »
With the tt.there are three types correct?  Which one do you use just the" feeding "bottle?  I believe that's what it called.
Tina

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2013, 07:24:49 am »
Oh I think they may be new or not available here. We only have the feeding bottle but boy the other ones would have been handy!
***Sara***