Author Topic: I'm back...what a mess!  (Read 4683 times)

Offline luvmykiki

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 10, 2007, 15:52:50 pm »
I cannot believe I'm posting again... I just want to type my issues out and see what I think..If anyone has any input I would love that .   I cannot believe that 15 months...still with sleep issues..mostly (all?) my fault!
I started PU/PD at 7.5months...WORKED SO GREAT. Had her sleeping from 6:30-5am with Dreamfeed at 10pm.  I dropped the dreamfeed at 11.5m (late, I know, but it was working!).  She slept without dreamfeed from 6:30-5 for about 2weeks and then we MOVED. UG.  It's been unreal ever since...this was sept. 30th.  My plan was to get her re-adjusted after the move and then work on the early wake up.  Naps have been good 1hr am, 2hr pm.  Goes down to sleep just fine.  Since the move she's gotten four molars and four "eye" teeth (still working on those!), she's had Coxsakie virus and TWO colds (all pretty much back to back), she's learned to walk, she's traveled to New York for a weekend (totally messed up trip as far as sleep goes)... She's been waking mostly around 3-4 each night, then sometimes it would be 2ish, then she started 9:30-10ish right before new years.... I 'fixed' that by PD but she's back at it.  I am SO tired that I have been completely UNABLE (er, unwilling  :( ) to 'sleep-train' .... I've (for the most part) been taking her to bed with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now I'm SO STUCK I don't even know what to do...I"m so afraid that she's in pain with the teething or too hot, or too cold or congested or WHATEVER that I just CAVE COMPLETELY.  Last week I was really working on getting her back on her 'schedule' and was having success until my girlfriend came over when she was asleep one night and had her 5month old with her...my LO heard that baby in the house and woke up and there was no way she was going to go back to sleep. I didn't know what to do!  I brought her down and she played...she was up a lot that night and had issues with naps the next day...the next night she slept through!!  I was so excited...then the night after that she slept through!!!!!!!!  SO excited.  Then the next night....up at 11.... (into bed with me..SHAME ON ME) then last night 10:30 (again with the shame on me).  Now I don't know what to do.... I just want to scream.  To make matters worse, my husband is out of state working for three months and we are supposed to travel to stay with him for about a month or so, departing in 2 weeks. So more upset to us!  Also, during this time we will travel (inside of the traveling) to our inlaws to visit for a few days where we will all be in one room (this is a nightmare for us as she ALWAYS wakes during the night when she's in the room with us!)
If you've read this far thanks.. I feel like such a loser...Can't deal. 

Susan and the LO with mother-induced sleep issues....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~Susan~  very sleepy and in love with my baby girl

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 18:31:18 pm »
You poor thing!  I know how tough ti is when you are trying to deal with sleep issues and you just can't seem to catch a break.  First off, how is she sleeping when you bring her in with you--is she still waking early?  What time are her naps? 

Anyone who can help you with the sleep training ie.  even mind her a bit during the day so you could nap and then be able to do PD at night?

I guess before doing that you'll want to do things to reassure yourself she's not too hot, cold, congested, teething etc.  so try some pain meds before bed, raise the mattress head and put in a vaporiser and put on some warm sleepers so that she'll be warm even if she tosses the blankets off and you're good to go!

If you take care of those things and pd and she's still night waking you can try to rule out other causes, like she needs to go to one nap so her schedule is disrupting her sleep  etc.

Keep posting and let us know how things are going so we can support you along the way!

Offline JoC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: I'm back...what a mess!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 19:48:09 pm »
Hi, I know it sounds weird, but i was so glad to read your post.
We are in very similar situation with our 16 month old. Never a great sleeper, did pu/pd with great success and everything was great for a few months. Since christmas, all hell seems to have been let lose.
Similar scenario to you, ds had bad cold, then chicken pox, then chest infection now cannines coming through...on and on.
Mistakes were made (giving milk at 2 in morning, cuddling at 4am, bringing him into my room... :o)
I am back at work now full time til May (covering maternity leave!!!), and have averaged about 4-5 hours sleep for the last 4 weeks or so.

I know what i have to do...pd again for a week or so, but when you are SOOOO tired, it is just SOOOO easy to give in. I need strength.
Sorry to ramble on your post so long with no advice....but I know just how you are feeling....HUGS :)

Jo

andibig

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 20:34:45 pm »
susan
i can assure you that you are not the only one.i don't think i've actually had a full nights sleep for over 2 mths.started with a v.bad tummy bug.managed to get the NWs sorted she was sleeping through for a week and then she got a cold.plus shes teething on and off with 2nd yr molars (ugh!!!!).dd is 19mths btw
i also work fulltime working rotating shifts!!!
pls god 1 full nights sleep would be heaven!

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 21:51:54 pm »
Wow, so thoughtful everyone!  I feel so much better..... it helps to hear I'm not alone (especially with babe in bed.... I know this a major crime but in the wee hours it's bliss to me! ...then the next night rolls around and I just want to shoot myself at those first cries). Anyhow, when she's with me she sleeps well still waking early though, like 4-4:30 then back to sleep (on top of me..), usually up again at 5:30 and *maybe* back to sleep until 6-6:30.  When she first wakes early in the morning she seems to want to be ALL over me for that last couple of hours of sleep....snotty nose and all.  It's damn cute, though, I will say...and I won't lose sight of the fact that she will be big girl soon enough!  As for naps, she is currently still taking 2, am is at (breakfast at 8) 9-9:30 and is usually 1hr 15min or 1.5hrs.....lunch at 12:30-1ish and second nap at 2pm (ususally 1.5hrs)...Lately (not sure for how long....) she has been babbling a lot when first down for pm nap..then she'll fall asleep sometimes not until 3 or later...she just did this today and woke at 4:20.  This morning she also babbled through a lot of her am nap and then fell asleep at like 10:15...I was going to wake her at 11:30 and she was up.  Sorry this is confusing...it's confusing for me too!!!!  I feel SO messed up! Like I have no clue where to go from here!  PD at night? *and* at the early wake up?  Drop am nap?  Wow, i'm clueless.... Thinking of going away makes me absolutely nauseous!  Everyone else in my life is like "you're so lucky...you're free to visit a new part of the country and stay for a good chunk of time..then flit off to visit relative...so lucky".... I feel like screaming because they're right but I get sick when I think of it!!!!  So, you gather, I"m not working ...  I don't know how you working ladies are surviving...I don't think I'd have the strength day after day.  You must want to kill me with my whining!
As for help, I have my parents nearby.... my husband, when he was home, would take her in the a.m. and I would sleep.  My parents mind her when we're together (often) and that helps just so I can take my eyes off of her and do whatever (usually cook or clean or run an errand...)
Well, thanks again, SO much for listening and help.  I wish us all a LOT of sleep soon.  I always feel better when I have a plan...but I can't even come up with one right now.
I can NEVER type a short post...sorry...

~Cheers,
Susan

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 22:21:55 pm »
Hi girls, I am sorry that you have had it rough lately, but stop feeling guilty for taking them into bed with you, we need our rest sometimes it's the only thing on our minds.  At least our lo's know that we love them!

Susan, I would Check your routine, ensure that naps are fine and she isn't ready to switch, she might be at this age, as she does seem to be taking the afternoon nap quite late.  I would use  PD until you go away.  When you go away, try to keep the routine as close as possible.  I don't knwo how long you are travelling for, but when I took Nathan to San Diego I tried to work out what time it was gioing to be when we arrived and tried to get his body clock working to that time as soon as possible after we arrived (it was much harder returning with the time moving forward, it even took me a month to get back in to it)  Travel does disrupt them, but try as best you can to stick to a schedule.
Ensure that she has enough blankets, isn't cold, the temperature for the room is ok, just to put your mind at rest.  Look out for signs of teething ie runny nose, sore nether regions, crying, and give meds.  If she is congested, I highly recommend a menthol plug in for the bedroom.
The latter I would say to Sashas mummy too.
JoC, I would start the sleep training with your lo on the weekend and get the help of dh during the week to help you, as she was an ok sleeper previously then I bet it won't take that long, go for it.

If it's any consolation, Christmas put our routines out and we are still trying to get back on track here.  For some reason Alex has taken to doing a poo at 9.15pm every night precisely!  Why?

Offline imsmum

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 14:19:00 pm »
Susan--it sounds like you are stressed about the travel so maybe you would be better if you put off any sleep training until that is over with so that you can better focus.  The downside to that is that you probably will be more tired from the continued disrupted sleep and the travel.

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 14:39:18 pm »
Hi again,
Updating..... Last night I gave ibuprofen at bedtime and she slept until 3am then in with me and woke at 4,5 and 6:30 for the day.  I've basically been doing 'observation' for the last few days/nights.  What I've gathered is that she is *definitely* getting a tooth on the bottom (it's just beneath the gums, runnyrunny nose, etc.).  I'm thinking that I'm not supposed to do PD (sleep training) when she's teething/illness/etcetc...is this true?  Oh: what is a menthol plug? can i get it in the us? will this help if her runny nose is teething related???

Second, something is up with her naps/routine....Maybe time to switch to one nap but I'm not sure how to go about this *at all*.  She is up at the same time daily (6-6:30) but when I've been putting her in for am nap (9am) she is playing longer (currently up there fussing right now- 9:30) and falling asleep later, hence waking later, and going in for second nap later (again she fusses/play for a while before falling asleep)...getting up at 4-4:30 (LATE!) and then going to bed 7-7:30 (our previous bedtime was 6:30-7ish).  She is still getting close to 3hrs of daytime sleep but seems *reluctant* to nap (for lack of a better word).

I will be traveling/away for 5 weeks (staying in a 2bedroom condo in Albuquerque New Mexico)....I'm thinking I should try and get her to nap in the pack'n'play a bit before we leave...She will be sleeping in it for the duration of the trip!  I'm terrified... Traveling alone too!

Thank you SO MUCH for any input....  

~Susan
FYI ...just about to click post and she's asleep ...it's 9:35 (so about 35minutes of fuss/play..not bad?) SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mari

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 14:46:22 pm »
http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=498

This looks like a US site.  It just helps free the airwaves a little when they are stuffy.  Usually when DD is teething she has a runny nose but is rarely stuffed up IYKWIM, so not sure if it would help, it would certainly help with a cold though. 
There is a sticky about the transition 2-1 nap on the naps board, HTH.  Sorry this is short, have to get DS from school.  Will post later with more time.

andibig

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 19:44:48 pm »
susan
i agree with Mari.it definetely sounds like she needs to drop to 1 nap.Sasha was about 14-15 mths when she dropped down to 1.
Mari
Sasha is now completely over her cold ;D.we are now having a bit of a growth spurt as she ate loads today.had to give her 2 snacks instead of her usual 1 plus her 3 main meals :o.the girl must have hollow legs-LOL
i'm working on cutting down her nap time as her morning wake up is getting earlier.its just a matter of time to get rid of the NWs.i did it last time after her tummy bug so i know i can do it this time.

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 19:51:36 pm »
of course,,,,right when i'm sure it's time to drop to one nap she does 2 perfect naps today....it's 2:55 and she's up from her pm nap which she went down for at 1:30.  What gives?  Last night she went to bed later than usual (see previous post about late pm naps.....).  Shall I put her down late again tonight?  It was 7:30 last night...maybe I'll try that.
ug.

andibig

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 20:11:24 pm »
Susan
when sasha was dropping to 1 nap there were still days when she would need 2 naps.it takes a couple of mths to settle.other than that you could try and shorten her AM nap to 1hr.so maybe down at 9.30am and wake up at 10.30am

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 12:54:21 pm »
Thanks so much for all the great advice!  What a fabulous sounding board....
Well, last night I made her bedtime later.  She woke from her nap at about 3 and I brought her up for bath/bedtime at 6:45..she was asleep by 7:15.  She slept until 4:45 (which is good for her!).  She woke at one point but went back on her own...I remember feeling groggy/asleep and thinking 'oh crap' but then I woke at 4:45 when she was really calling out...
1. I think her runny nose is teething related but I'm going to get the 'plug' for future use!
2. So nervous to travel but I think I'll try keeping her routine with short am nap and normal pm nap for now.  --> What do you think about my trying to 'cold turkey' switch to one nap while we're away since she'll be such a mess already?  I'm thinking this would backfire but I know she'll be NWing the whole time we're away anyway....One nap would be SO much better from my POV but I'm going to do what she needs me to!
I've been reading the sticky on the 2 to 1 switch...good information.  Lots of people in similar 'boats'. 
I'll keep you posted....
thank you!

Offline imsmum

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 14:38:35 pm »
I wouldn't try the 2 to 1 switch while you're away--they are usually super tired and need to go to bed much earlier which would likely interfere with any evening activities/visiting.  I'd try to do it when you come back when it won't matter so much if she needs to go to bed at 6.

Offline JoC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 19:14:46 pm »
Hi Susan,
I switched from 2 to 1 nap in a very short time with my ds when he was only 12 months. He started napping REALLY badly for both naps so one day i just kept him up til 12 and put him down, he slept for 2 hours and continues to to this day I have to wake him sometimes as he would carry on). This may have been a fluke, but just what happened to us.
Good luck with the travelling x
Jo

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 02:38:24 am »
Just updating (and it helps me to keep track!).  We had 2 naps today ..same as yesterday.  9:30-10:30 (shorter than usual) and 2:20-3:30..... Seems ok for now if she'll just keep this up.  Went to sleep at ~7:15..this is late for her.  We'll see...................  I do agree about probably waiting until we get back for 2-1 switch...No use in really paying *too* much attention to things while we're away.  It will take a while when I get back but I'll just have to buckle down (I'm so NOT good at that!).  JoC:  Wow!  I'm so jealous!! 
bye for now.

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 12:42:54 pm »
Well......something is backfiring, as usual.  I thought we were onto something when she slept 'til 4:50 on the night of the 13th (my last post).  But yesterday and the day before she babbled/fussed a lot before the am nap and skipped (babbled/play/fussed straight through) her pm naps.  Both days I woke her from the am nap hoping to keep it around 1hr so she would nap in the afternoon.  The first day I thought I got to her to late (1hr10min) and that was why she didn't take the afternoon nap... Yesterday I tried the reverse (got her a little early (50m) and that didn't work.  She slept well the night before last with no wakes and up at 5am then 6:30 for the day...Foolish me started to think about tackling those early wakeups.  Usually I try to get a pattern for a week or 2 before even thinking about that but I had 3 good nights in a row and I started to think "alright, I'm gonna go for it..."  BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUt, of course, she woke last night at 11 and 1:30 and 3 and 4:50 and 5:50 and that was it...I'm dying right now.  Have no clue how to tackle today/tonight.  Everytime I think I'm onto something....I'm just SO NOT.
Thanks for listening...Whatever advice you have I LOVE to hear...I'm lost (again).

~susan

Offline JoC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 20:46:29 pm »
Hi Susan.
Big hugs to you and lo,
All of those wakings make me think there is something else going on. Is lo teething or it could have been tummy ache etc etc, so don't think you have failed or anything like that. I know how tired you must be, but try again tonight, things often get much worse before they start to improve. I sometimes give meds on nights like that cos it sems they may be in some kind of pain to wake so often. Could you comfort her? or was she inconsolable?
Jo x

Offline mari

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 21:29:40 pm »
Hi Susan.

Probably she didn't sleep so well last night because she was overtired as she woke too early from her naps.

I am not sure when you said that you were going away, but if you do decide to make the transition you should put her for her am nap 15-30 minutes later than usual for 3 days, then 30 minutes later again and every three days after, keep putting her 30 minutes later.  The afternoons will be difficult but hopefully you will work towards her staying awake until 12.00, have lunch and take an afternoon nap.

I doubt that you will try this before you travel, but if it's not for the next 2 weeks then I would go for it now.

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 18:35:18 pm »
thanks for your continued support (sound like a presidential nominee...).

So, I think that the waking was for sure b/c she was/is overtired (oh, I had been giving her motrin at bedtime so she was 'medicated'  :-\)   .... I'm was totally ready to lose it yesterday so we slept at my parents last night (so they could take her in the a.m.).... She woke at 11 and I tried really hard to do PD to get her back but after 2hrs I nearly lost my mind so I brought her in bed..and was SO defeated (is that even the right thing to say?? defeated...by your child? I know she's just doing what she needs to for whatever reason......) I was sobbing....and feeling HORRID with guilt b/c I was so aggravated with HER...What a nasty feeling. I hate it.   :'(
Anyway, she slept 'til 4:50 and then woke at 6 for the day.  My mom took her downstairs and I slept 'til 10 (yay me!) She was still cheery etc when I woke (normally is -attempting- napping at this time).  I decided to try one nap just-like-that for today.....   I wanted to do the gradual thing but it's so confusing...If I put her down later and she fusses for an hour before sleep (which she's been doing...) then what? and I have a million more questions like that one so, since one previous poster said it worked for her, I decided to go 'cold turkey' to one nap!  I'm sure this will backfire *like everything else* but I have NOTHING to lose but sleep and I'm already losing lots of that at this point!!!!!!!
So, I brought her home at 11, fed her ?lunch/snack...some yogurt.  Brought her up and she was asleep by 11:35.  Still asleep now at 1:35.... Please cross your fingers everyone.....Tightly!

Thank you!!!
~susan ::)

andibig

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 19:45:28 pm »
Susan
how long did she sleep for??

Offline JoC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 20:32:15 pm »
Hey Susan,
I too had poor night, after all of my resolution NOT to pick him up, feed or bring to my room, after 1 and 1/2 hours of crying and frankly who knows how many wi/o's, awake at 1.10am (WHY???? ???) I gave in and brought him in with us, he slept soundly til 6am.
Don't beat yourself. They do need comforting from time to time and you need your sleep so you can stay calm (SOO hard when you have had 4 hours average nights sleep in about 4 weeks, I KNOW!!)
Hope the one nap thing works, and she sleeps better this evening.
Jo x

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 22:40:25 pm »
Well, she slept for 2hr 15min.... she definitely was more groggy/crabby on waking and that lasted about 25minutes...then she was okay and we went out shopping. I think she was more cranky in general and now, at 5:40, is way tired so we just had dinner and we're off to bathtime..although she's happily walking around 'pretend' having a cup of tea and sharing with the dog.  I just about give up!  Will post in the am about our (i'm sure fabulous... :D ) night....
JoC (realized it was you who did the 'cold turkey' switch)..so sorry for your night.  I guess we just get what we're given and we can do our best to 'promote' sleep but we sure as heck can't make it happen!  I need to lighten up in this area for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bye for now!

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 12:41:53 pm »
Updating:  Not sure what I'm thinking right now (used to this feeling...).  She went down at 6:35 last night...It should've been earlier but I was trying and it didnt' happen.  She woke at
 8:30 (?) And I was sooooo tired and at the end of my rope..Normally I would've gone into her but I was feeling so frustrated/?angry  ??? and thought it better if I waited a bit...She cried but not hysterics, more like whiny/fussy crying and she was only sitting up-not standing (i have video monitor). This went on for ~15 (painful for me) minutes then she went back to sleep.  Not sure if that was CIO or not but I *seriously* could not deal.  I can't explain why because it was so early it's not like she woke me up...I was just getting ready to take a bath and drink some decaf tea and go to bed and I guess it just upset me big time.  So should I feel like crap or was it okay for her to cry for bit like that???? I can't decide.  I feel a little crappy and a little okay with it...
She woke at 3:50 and then 6:10.  She's in a very good mood this morning.

the saga continues... JoC: how did you do last night??

bye for now,
Susan 

Offline franchick

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 14:44:26 pm »
This won't help much, but I just wanted to say that we have only ever had about 10 full night's sleep since DD was born - she is now 19 months old!

What I decided to do, in the end (after a few months of LO being awake for 2.5 hours per night when I first returned to work!!! - what a nightmare), was put a mattress in her room and sleep in there. In time, I ended up bringing her onto the mattress with me.

Now, DD sleeps on her own double mattress (I know, I know  ;D ) and I go to her when she wakes, which is normally only once a night, anytime between 2 and 5 am. Many nights I don't even remember getting up, I just find myself in her bed in the morning. So, I get to spend a few hours in bed with DH (and the dog ::) ) and a few hours with DD in her bed.

I feel that I am now as rested as I ever was before she was born, but I make a big effort to get to bed at a reasonable time myself.

I am not suggesting you do what I am doing, I just wanted you to know that you are definitely not alone in part co-sleeping. (I have to say, I do like it a lot and I agree, she will become a big girl soon enough and not want me to be hanging around in her room, so I am going to enjoy it while I can).

Good luck with your plans - I'm sure it will all work out in time. And I hope the travelling goes well - if it was me, I wouldn't change anything until you get back - just roll with the punches re the naps and try and minimise how much lost sleep you get at night, in whatever way works for you.

Offline franchick

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 14:47:16 pm »
Oh, and also wanted to say, I have left DD whining to sleep on one occasion as otherwise I was just going to get angry - this is NOT CIO - you would know if you were doing CIO as your heart would have been smashed into a thousand pieces. Sometimes you have to preserve your sanity - it is not worth getting upset / angry at LOs - rather they fuss themselves off to sleep. (((Hugs)))

Offline mari

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 18:15:28 pm »
The thing is, she was whiny and fussing and not really crying so it probs won't do any harm, but you said that you felt angry and upset so it's best not to go to her when you feel like that, and I know how it can make you feel, I've been there.  One night after hours of nightwakings I remember she woke and I was so upset and angry I just sat on the end of my bed listening to her and crying myself, but I couldn't go to her, I'd have shouted and screamed and woke the whole street so I just sat ther until I got it out of my system then when I did go in, we had a huge cuddle.
Don't feel bad, this is a very testing time for us when we are having little sleep and we are doing so much.  I am sure that this was a temporary feeling and you will feel so much better after your holiday.  When are you going?

Offline JoC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 18:24:43 pm »
HI Susan ,
We had a decentt night,  woke at 5, did wi/wo til 6 ( NEVER gonna go back to sleep to be honest, but have to try) then got him up, light on etc, then milk. He is very tired today, but 5 is like a lie in! People at work, think i am mad when they ask if i had a good night and i say, very enthusiastically i really did cos i was up at 5!!!
I struggle with the night wakings tho, i wake up light a banshee.
On the note about leaving her, if you feel you are gonna lose it (I remember that feeling!), the best thing is to leave her, really it is, just to try to calm yourself, so don't think bad about it sweetheart.

Fingers crossed for all of us for this evening.

Jo x 

andibig

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 19:27:34 pm »
Susan
sorry to hear things aren't going well.
we all have days like that.sleep deprivation sucks-big time.like the pp said you did the right thing.no point going in trying to comfort her when you are feeling wound up yourself.
(((((((((((((((((((big squishy hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 02:20:12 am »
Thanks SO much everyone.... Thank goodness for you all!  I really feel that you all understand where I"m at.  Mari, your example is *exactly* how I felt....only it was early and I can't explain that...Always, the earlier the wake-ups the more discouraging for me..I don't know why!  Probably because from 3.5-7.5 months she woke 1hr after being put down and 1hr after that ..then I'd get maybe 2hrs ..then 1, 1.5, 45min, then maybe 2 again.  N*I*G*H*T*M*A*R*E.  Never been that close to checking myself into a psych ward. ever.  So I think when she wakes early (like before 12) I start to see myself heading back to that abyss...ug.  Okay, I'm chipper, huh?

I'm not going to beat myself up over last night...I know that I didn't have much in me at that point and it would've made matters worse for me to go running in there.  As it was, I kept listening waiting..will it get worse? will it escalate?  It never did...she stayed the same whiny/fuss the whole time and was just sitting there.  Then, just as I was thinking that it had gone on long enough and I was going to go in, she dove into the corner of her crib and went back to sleep.  She often wakes with this whiny fuss and I usually go after a very short time b/c I just. can't. listen. to. it. anymore!!  I wonder if I should try to hold back a bit more......hmmmmmmmm.  She always does this at the 4 (or 5 if I'm lucky) wake-ups.
Today she was in a really good mood although wanting to be picked up a lot in the afternoon...hmmmm wonder if that's significant as she's not usually like that.. I digress.  Anyway, she was sleepy rubbing eyes a little at ~9:30 and this was about the time I had been putting her down for her a.m. nap (although in the recent past she hadn't been falling asleep for 45min or more...) So I tried to put her down. She was babbling/playing LOUDLY...after 40min I took her out.  We played a bit. Had lunch at 11 (not so early if she's up at 6, right?)...then in to nap at 11:30..played in crib a bit and asleep at 12.  Slept for 2.5hrs.  I thought that was good and she was in a better mood on waking today than yesterday.  She played all afternoon and was asleep by 6:35.  Everyone cross those fingers....I'm off to bed....

Franchick:  Thanks for sharing...I really appreciate it.  I don't mind the cosleeping bit ...I did it for the first 7.5 months (long story)...She definitely wakes more that way... Even when she seems to be only waking early and I start bringing her in bed with me at like 5.  This is how I ended up here!  It's like a slippery slope and she starts to wake earlier and add wake ups and then well....you read it!

JoC: Good night!  5 is bliss for me if I see it on the clock (and not 11, 1, 3 or whatever!!!!) Today it was 3:50...why couldn't she just wait the 10min for my mental health! Good luck tonight!

Thanks again all, I'll be back in the morning....

Offline mari

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 22:05:20 pm »
Fingers and toes crossed for you.

I think that we find it more difficult if they wake earlier because we have probs gone to bed at 10ish and hope for a few hours and then get woken up just as we are sleeping off to dreamland, I read that this is how some countries tortured the enemy in the second world war, get them so tired that they were desperate for sleep, then let them fall asleep for a short time, then wake them just before they went into total dreamland.  So  there you have it, we have little Hitlers for children!!!

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 12:48:14 pm »
Just updating... I tried to post the other day but it got lost...??logged me off before posting. 

Anyway, the last time I posted I was ready for a long night but she slept through til 5 *yipee*, the next day had one nap 2hr 20m, that night slept through again...then...yesterday.... one nap one hour  (!) went in late due to visitors and then woke early b/c I dropped a glass in the kitchen  :D   Anyhow, she woke at 10 last night and was awake off and on until 2, then woke at 6:30.  Is it possible she is just hyper-sensitive to the 'routine' of things that if things are off just a touch she reacts??? Did I make her like this by being SO stringent when we first did PU/PD at 7.5 months???? It work and, I'll admit, I was (?am) a routine FREAK ...there's next to nothing that I want to do more than sleep so I'm happy to turn down any offers to go out-and-about if it means messing with 'the routine'.  Need I say:  My husband thinks I'm nuts.
that's all for now...off to chase the toddler....LOoooooong mornings on one nap, I'll say!
~Susan

Offline JoC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 13:40:49 pm »
Hi Susan,
Sorry you had a rough night,
If it makes you feel any better, our social life (such as it is) revolves around ds. We go out according to his, now one, nap, so if we are invited for lunch, we won't get there til he has napped properly, and if it is an earlier appointment, we won't go!
I know this sounds sad, but i think routine is important especially if they have got out of it.
What time does your dd go to bed? We have started putting theo down a half hour later again, 7.30, even if he naps only for an hour, which he does in the week cos he is at day care.
I don't think the pu/pd has had any conseuences, cos i was really regimented wihthi at 6 months when he went into his cot in his own room.
Jo x

Offline mari

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 16:09:53 pm »
I give up my social life in place of naps, it's so important to stick to a routine.  (It is for Alex anyway)

Offline luvmykiki

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2007, 00:45:12 am »
Well, just wanted to update.... We are SO out of whack that it's actually funny.  This girl is TOO much.  So when I left off we had had a horrible night...I tried for one nap that day and it was 1hr 20min.  Bummer.  To bed early that night...asleep by 6:30...up at 10:00 then back to bed until 4:50 (what is it with that time??) then 6:30 for the day.  Next day, one short nap again....UG.  Early to bed last night, up at 11, back until 4:43 (then 6:20 for the day). So today I decided that she's too overtired and I should go to 2 naps...Put her in at 9am and she played for a while and fell asleep around 10:40, slept 'til 11, then put down at about 2:15...NO NAP.  Exhausted this evening and went to be at ~6:15.  She is just too much.  I would say that maybe I should've woke her after an hour or so of sleep this morning but whenever I did that a couple of weeks ago it didn't matter and she would skip the afternoon nap (I posted about this at the time). 
I'm pretty sure that I totally give up!   We're off for our long trip this saturday so I'm just going to try and get her the most sleep that I can while we're away and   :D  :D  :D work on things when we return..... Hope you all are doing well....and sleeping!!

Offline mari

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2007, 21:34:50 pm »
Have a great trip and hopefully we can help you out when you return.

andibig

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 14:07:54 pm »
susan
hope you have a good trip ;D ;D
sasha is exactly the same in regards to naps.shes been on one nap for a while now and even if shes ill she will absolutely refuse to take a 2nd nap!!!