Author Topic: How to trial cow's milk  (Read 9602 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: How to trial cow's milk
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 03:54:49 am »
Ok ladies I am getting ready to bite the bullet and try DS on regular formula - although he tolerates his Nutramigen AA fairly well it still does seem to give him mild diarrhea because of his enzyme deficiency condition. So I need to try it although I am scared as hell.

GI said to start with 1 ml in a syringe and gradually increase. GI symptoms I can deal with but what if he has a 'true" allergic reaction - what should I watch out for? And should I have anything on hand in case of a reaction?

Please hold my hand - I am so scared of him getting yet another reaction :( I plan to trial on Tuesday unless he's unwell by then.
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 04:01:24 am »
TBH, given all of his other food issues, I don't know that there is much he could have.  Benadryl would be my first suggestion but not sure he can have it.

Other than that, you do need to be aware that anaphylaxis is possible with a true milk allergy.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 17:56:54 pm »
Thanks Kara :-*

He probably can't have Benadryl but I'll still get some just in case - some diarrhea and gas is probably better than whatever allergy symptoms he gets. Would an allergic reaction show up very quickly?
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 18:15:05 pm »
Hi, has he been tested for a milk allergy? Olly trialled milk in October but was done in hospital with meds and doctors on hand.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 18:26:32 pm »
He tested negative for ige allergy when he was 6 months old. Given what we know now, we are unsure if he was really MPI or not. We haven't tried any dairy since 3 months old. His GI gave us the ok to try it at home. When is it usually appropriate to only try it at the hospital? Confirmed ige allergy?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 18:38:06 pm by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 20:17:35 pm »
Yes prob if it is a true allergy because a reaction can be life threatening.
Be back later x

Offline ENMS

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 20:39:49 pm »
I'm scared now... should I not do it then?  :-\
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 21:36:44 pm »
If he was to have a life threatening reaction would it occur right away? Would it be less severe if I was to trial cheese first?
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 21:42:21 pm »
ohh well I don't know about that! If he tested negative then chances are he doesn't have an allergy just an intolerance - MPI. Of course these tests can wrong but I don't want to panic you.

How exactly are you doing the trial? 1ml and then increase over how long? With Olly tests it started a touched cow's milk on his lip , 15 mins later he had a drop on his tongue, 15 mins later a teaspoon, etc until he refused anymore - that was about 27mls I think but they like then to have a lot more than that to prove there is no allergy.

As he didn't have enough we were sent home told to reintroduce dairy slowly ie starting with hidden dairy for 2 weeks then cooked (30 mins minimum) for 2 weeks etc. We are really only on stage 1 (6 weeks in mind you ::))  and we are getting NWs with wind and eczema  :-[ We have stopped it again today to see if all these clear up and then will retry.

Posted at same time... I don't know the answer I am afraid. I put my trust in the hospital. It would be less severe to trial cheese first but then again it may take longer to see the symptoms. Being a mod here for a while I have seen 2 schools of thought - do it really slowly (like we are) or just go for it and see what happens. Sorry not much help x

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 21:46:43 pm »
Any reaction can happen within minutes or hours... just to keep life exciting!

BB - Olly is doing pretty good if you got to 6 weeks before NWing and such started!  I haven't ever gotten past about 3 days without having a moaning/crying baby over the monitor all night long!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 21:48:55 pm »
I would first  find out what antihistamines will cause the least issues. I would also ask if it is possible to try cow's milk in hospital if you think it is possible it could be an IGE allergy. I had to administer the epipen to my ds this morning due to an allergic reaction. We don't know what he reacted to but at as horrible as it was at least I had the medication to administer. The first time my ds had  a severe allergic reaction it was much worse. We called 999 and luckily the paramedics arrived quickly and everything turned out ok.

In your situation I am not quite surewhat I would do. I do know a parent that did a dairy challenge in the hospital car park as she had  been advised to do the challenge at  home but was worried. Anotherthing you could try is putting a little milk onto his skin first. If that goes ok then a tiny drop onto his lip. Then if that goes ok then you could try giving a tiny drop orally. This is not medical advice though. I would not challenge my ds at home with any of his allergens but that is because I know he is IGE positive. If I was not sure I may possibly go for the car park option.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 21:53:36 pm »
BB - Olly is doing pretty good if you got to 6 weeks before NWing and such started!  I haven't ever gotten past about 3 days without having a moaning/crying baby over the monitor all night long!

We haven't been consistent with it though TBH and he has been getting NWs for 3 weeks! We had put it down to his 3 year regression but the wind is getting consistent with EVERY waking now. And I spotted eczema in his neck yesterday that he hasn't had since he was a baby. As with these things either thing could be unrelated but the only way is to remove, settle and try again!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 22:00:10 pm »
Darn it!  It's such a long road with these food issues!

Offline ENMS

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 02:12:37 am »
Thanks ladies :)

I'm still undecided... I like your idea Kelly to put a bit on his skin, I've heard that before. I may try that first. How scary to have to use the epipen with your DS :(

BB - sorry the trial seems to be a fail :( I agree with Kara... never ending isn't it.
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 02:23:55 am »
Ok so.... it seems to be fine so far :)

Now just a question... he's been having increasing amounts for the past 10 days or so. I would've completely switched him over by now except he doesn't like the taste so I'm still mixing it with his Nutramigen AA. He's been getting at least 4 oz per day for the past week or so... and he's never been this good. EVER. I don't think he's doing better because of the new formula, we're also now on a good combo of probiotics and digestive enzymes, and so he's completely STTN for the first time of his life ;D. Of course now that I've said it I will jinx it :(

Anyway my question is - if he was to be MPI, I would have seen symptoms by now... or not? Can i call it a pass and move to trialling something new? or would it be possible for an intolerance to show up much later?
Elise