Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 6!  (Read 82515 times)

lilmonkey

Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 6!
« on: November 04, 2008, 15:05:57 pm »
Continued from http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=126300.0

Welcome to all new and returning BLW mommas and los. :)

Offline *Nicola*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 429
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 6!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 21:21:14 pm »
Thanks Mimi!!

x
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline jay&danny'smummy

• Showing Appreciation 88
  • My boys xx
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 21:39:53 pm »
Hi everyone :)

marking my spot......I will be back!!

xx
Emi
xx
Mummy to
Jay Matthew 24/4/05
Danny James 20/5/08
and 2 angel babiesxx

Offline mumofalice

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:39:22 am »
Hello all - apologies for being a stranger . . . have had to return to the 'real world' and that gives me even less time  :P

I was all set to come and post a reply on Part 5 and yet there wasn't a reply 'button' to press - so went in search of part 6 and here I am.

Seem to have now lost part 5 and therefore can't remember who said what IYKWIM?

Alison - am not sure if you're still reading or not, but just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for all your help with BLW - not sure I could have done it without all your words of encouragement, knowledge, enthusiasm. I'll miss you  :-*

Loved the spinach dumpling recipe - and will definitely be giving them a try.

Alice continues to eat really well (some days more than others - just to keep us guessing  ::)) but I would definitely put her in the 'ganet' category too LOL!!

She is now with a childminder 3 days a week  ( :'() - and as DH pointed out the other day the 'busiest' part of the daily form she brings home is the part entitiled 'what I ate' LOL! The childminder (Lisa) has said on numerous occasions that she has a good appetite and the other day Alice finished off her own dinner and then wanted to share some of Lisa's!!

Alice always wants to share whatever you're eating - so I too have to wait til she's gone to bed before I start on the naughty food!! Must admit that I have become a bit more relaxed about what I give her over the past couple of months - think it's partly cos I can't 'control' it quite so much when I'm not looking after her. Also I do think she generally eats a healthy and varied diet - she is still mad for fruit, bread and pasta - the same things she's always loved. She doesn't seem as bothered about veg - unless it's in something (pasta sauce, casserole, etc) but am pretty sure she still gets her fair share.

I may be a bit more relaxed - but also worry that we still eat the same things over and over again - that's probably more to do with the fact that I cook a few staple dishes for DH and I and rotate them  ::) Alice eats the same as us, but usually the day after. Today she will be trying something new - gnocchi - but it will be served in her usual tomato pasta sauce (Nic I use your recipe all the time  ;)) so am sure she'll be fine.

Did someone mention Special K flakes for breakfast cereal? Have stuck with the mini shredded wheat and would like to try something different - but the sugar content on cereals is really high (after my cheerio faux pas I wouldn't want to make the same mistake  :P) Am I right in thinking that Special K is alright? Will be checking out the packet on my next 'big shop'.

Right . . . had better love you and leave you - I'm supposed to be doing my invoicing and paperwork  :P

Berni  :-*

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:46:08 am »
Callie has special K, weetabix, mini shredded wheat, cow and gate cheerios and cow and gate moons/stars things.

Lovely lovely lovely to see you around Berni x

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »
Hi Berni, was just wondering where you'd been!
Katie

Offline mumofalice

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 13:49:58 pm »

Thanks  :-*

Also thanks for the cereal tips - tho I'm sure that Ang doesn't approve of the Cow and Gate cereals - and I get into enough trouble with the Chief of Sugar / Clean Police that I don't need any more cautions!!  ;D

Katie - would love to tell you that I'd been somewhere exotic or even done something exciting - but it's more the fact that I've returned to work and am having even more trouble trying to organise my life than I was before  :P

Would love to have given you advice on your BF dilemma - but I think I would have been as much use as a 'fart in a windstorm' too (think that's what Ang said PMSL!) - despite A's spout of EWs a few months ago, she went thru from 7 til 7 (with expressed BM as a DF) pretty much every night (I was very lucky). Now she is fully weaned I can't even remember what we did - my Mumnesia is terrible.

Lovely to 'see' you all - I've missed you and your LOs  :-*

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 18:21:18 pm »
despite A's spout of EWs a few months ago, she went thru from 7 til 7 (with expressed BM as a DF) pretty much every night (I was very lucky).

Ok, I don't think I can talk to you any more  :P
Katie

Offline mumofalice

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 18:55:43 pm »
Ok, I don't think I can talk to you any more  :P

I can understand that . . . however the wake up moved back gradually from 7.20 to 4.45 (woo hoo!!) and that was the start of our day for a good few weeks - so altho I didn't have the 5am feed I did have 5am starts - does that make you feel any better?  :-*

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 20:54:41 pm »

Thanks  :-*

Also thanks for the cereal tips - tho I'm sure that Ang doesn't approve of the Cow and Gate cereals - and I get into enough trouble with the Chief of Sugar / Clean Police that I don't need any more cautions!!  ;D

Yup .. I was very brave posting that wasn't I? xx

Offline mumofalice

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 23:27:25 pm »
You

I thought so . . . tho I think I read on another post that the Sugar Police may have been using a cow & gate juice or cordial . . . but maybe I was just dreaming?!?

Lovely to see you too Nicola, I've missed you more than you know  :-*

Offline humph

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 14:09:01 pm »
I'd love some advice on baby led weaning.  Our daughter is 5 months so I'm just starting to think about getting ready to try solids in a few weeks.  The new baby led weaning book has arrived and i'm reading it cover to cover at the moment. 

Our daughter loves the baby whisperer routine and has settled to specific times for feeding and sleeping but the trouble i'm going to have is that she sleeps from 12.30/1pm ish to 3pm and is put to bed in the evening at about 7pm.  We have lunch at about 1.30 (because my husband comes home from work) and have supper at about 8pm.  Getting my husband to adjust to different times of eating will be impossible so should I just give her some food on her own at an earlier time or should I adjust her sleeping times so that she is awake when we eat?  It seems, on reading the book, that eating together is a large part of the process and would be a shame to expect her to eat on her own separately.

I hope this makes sense - I'd love to know how other baby whisperers have made baby led weaning fit in with their routine.

Thx

Kate

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 16:49:37 pm »
We eat together whenever conveneint, but in reality that's often only once a day, breakfast or lunch. I wouldn't worry!
Katie

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 18:50:47 pm »
You

I thought so . . . tho I think I read on another post that the Sugar Police may have been using a cow & gate juice or cordial . . . but maybe I was just dreaming?!?

Lovely to see you too Nicola, I've missed you more than you know  :-*

:-* SMOOCHES !

Totally agree with Katie, regarding how BLW fits into your routine.  Their routines change so often that it's not worth worrying about.  I sit down with Callie and have a cuppa or some fruit if it's not my meal time, kwim? I think it's important for them to experience the 'socialness' of eating as well :)

So guys ... At 12 months Callie's new favourite things are bowls and cutlery ::) :D  She uses spoon at all meals, holds her own (half full) yoghurt carton, bangs her fork onto her plate attempting and succeeding to scoop up food.  Tonight she managed to scoop up tonnes of mash/gravy/pee combo and fish pie.  I was AMAZED at how much she got up.

I LOVE BLW!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Purplecattypants

• Showing Appreciation 203
  • PANTS!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 20:11:18 pm »
You guys!!!  ::)

Ok, for the record...I do not use C&J juice!!!  ;) I used a small bottle of the stuff for his birthday cake...it was concentrate but with no sugar  :P So actually would be fine to give him to drink, but I don't really see the point of giving him juice when he likes water, just bad for his teeth surely?!

C&G baby cereals still have only natural sugar from fruit so they are fine  :P I have discovered Plum Baby Organic Muesli, which is the ONLY thing J will let me spoon feed him  ::) A bit  :-\ about Special K though, sorry Nic! 11g sugar...that seems like a LOT to me  :-\ But each to their own, not my business and I still love ya!!  :D

Still being fussy one and off here (goes in waves). Some days he will eat for england. Others he will hardly touch anything  ::)

Great to hear updates on you all, especially you Berni!! Oh btw the link to thread 5 is at the top of the page  :P

:-* :-* :-*

ps Kate (humph)....we only eat breakfast and lunch together, and lunch is only a recent thing as his sleep times have change. His dinner is too early for us so we eat when he's gone to bed. I wouldn't worry, as your lo gets older meal times will fit in with you better, wont do her any harm to eat on her own sometimes  :-*
Angela

My homebirthed, hypnobirthed, waterbirthed everything. 27th Sept '07, 6lb 10oz. Proud to have breastfed for 19 months!