Author Topic: Extended nursing thread part 3  (Read 58042 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Extended nursing thread part 3
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 22:12:55 pm »
Our night waking is really the only comfort nursing I do and even then I think he is genuinely hungry because he is used to feeding at that time but it also just helps him get back to sleep. And we don't do a DF. All our 4 daytime feeds are for food/drink only. And he sleeps independently  (awke in cot, left alone in room etc.) for all naps and BT so it's not really a prop as such I don't think. I am hoping as the night waking has moved later and later over the past months until it is where it is now at between 5am and 7am it will just continue to get later until I am happy to get him up for the day. As we do an 8pm BT I would really want a 7am or later wu. We normally do a 8am or 8.30am WU and start the day ATM. This suits me and we still get a 2hr AM and 1.5hr PM nap so it seems to suit DS too. What can I say he is high sleep needs I think. LOL.
I am going to a 60th wedding anniversary party this weekend and I would be interested to see what all my aunts and uncles who are all 60yo+ think about extended BFing. It bet they have different ideas to today's generations of young people.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 22:32:01 pm by A pair of Charlies »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 22:31:33 pm »
They will  :)  My parents and their friends love asking me questions and reminiscing. They really didn't get the same support as we do now!

Offline anielasmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 23:14:54 pm »
sorry if i offended anyone = )
Kami

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2010, 08:12:58 am »
no offence taken xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2010, 21:10:15 pm »
Group hug all  :-*  :-*  :-*

And back to extended nursing  ;D

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2010, 14:17:40 pm »
I'm actually starting to worry if I'll make it past the next month...
I BF DD until exactly 8 mths old but was hoping this time to feed at least past 1yr old. But I've just gone back to work and I don't have a set work schedule. I can never garantee that I'll be home for his first feed or last feed of the day (I might have to leave the house at6am one day, not be home until 11pm the next). Plus, I can't pump at work. I mean, I'm out and about most of the time and I'm not too sure I would feel comfortable to pump in the car ;D
The first week has been ok, since I've managed to be home for at least one of his feeds (plus he woke up at night a couple of times due to his reflux and wanted to comfort feed), but I can see we'll have a problem... So upset about this!

I think I know the answer to this question but... Do you think if I feed once every couple of days my milk will dry up?

xxx

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2010, 20:34:51 pm »
HI Tay

Hugest hugs }}}}}}}}{{{{{{{{{

Do you mean you leave 6am one day and aren't back till 11pm the next?

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Tay

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2010, 16:41:20 pm »
Sometimes...
But more likely leave at 6am one day - back by 6pm, then be home the next morning but not come home from work until 11pm.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2010, 20:07:12 pm »
That's tough Tay. I think lots of people do 1 feed a day for quite some time. Could you just do as many feeds as you are there for even if sometimes that is the first and sometimes the last and sometimes more on your days off? Perhaps you could pump when you get in at 11 for example if you haven't done a feed that night for example?

I went to the pub with a big group of my mum's brothers and sisters all in their 60s and 70s and DS needed his 3rd BF of the day. I just discretely popped him on the boob at the table. A couple of the ladies were saying "oh look he's feeding, ah isn't that cute." Other times they just didn't mention it, I think it was such a non-issue for them. They all went on about what a big boy DS is. He's 20lb plus. DS was rather distracted and didn't take as much milk as he normally does throughout the day. He also STTN so was only getting his usual 4 BFs and not his extra early morning one. As long as we are in the room alone he seems happy to feed lots

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2010, 21:57:08 pm »
I've gone back to work recently and I keep getting invited out but I feel like I don't want to go else I will miss DS's last feed and working fulltime I don't get to see him much either. People look a bit odd when I say I have to get home to feed him. even though I work in a hospital they just don't seem to recognise it is recommended to keep feeding him this long. I don't mind. I feel proud to say I am still feeding him. I feel a bit like they think I am odd though. DS loves his boob though. I cannot imagine him weaning like ever. I don't fancy going much past 2yrs though.

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2010, 22:18:18 pm »
hmm well you never know how you will feel once you get there! lol
if you feed every day one feed at the same time you shouldn't lose that milk...but it may not be that easy for you...those are wacky hours with children! is it like you and DH switch "shifts"?
they have ac adapter pumps for the car. why do you feel weird pumping in the car?

on another note...i was feeding DD at the mall and a young woman walked by me and said that's disgusting...like really? DD is only 10 m/o i can imagine what i will get when she's older. i hate living here not many people seem to accept natural parenting and feeding.
Kami

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2010, 22:25:22 pm »
i was feeding DD at the mall and a young woman walked by me and said that's disgusting
Wow! How very opinionated and ignorant of her. It's really none of her business anyway. What did you say? Is that normal for where you live? It seems pretty drastic. I've only really found a few people seemingly not knowing where to put their eyes (even with my sisters feeding their babies who are over 1yo) but that seems really aggressive.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2010, 22:43:28 pm »
Gosh if she finds it so disgusting to watch normal people doing normal things maybe she should time her outings for when there aren't people around!

Offline Tay

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2010, 10:42:32 am »
That's tough Tay. I think lots of people do 1 feed a day for quite some time. Could you just do as many feeds as you are there for even if sometimes that is the first and sometimes the last and sometimes more on your days off? Perhaps you could pump when you get in at 11 for example if you haven't done a feed that night for example?
Yes, I'm trying to do this, at least one feed a day. And so far so good. (Plus I'm secretly enjoying him waking up at night looking for a feed...)
Never thought of pumping... That's an idea... (although I'd have to buy another pump since my one was in the bag that never arrived, but that's another story).

why do you feel weird pumping in the car?
I don't know, just the think I would feel very vulnerable, on my own in some carpark...

on another note...i was feeding DD at the mall and a young woman walked by me and said that's disgusting...
I never had to deal with anyone being as rude as this! And DS is a big boy! I found people just tend to avoid looking.

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2010, 11:00:08 am »
where i am love to comment! you should hear the things i get told. one woman threatened to beat my ass for taking out my breast for DD to nurse in front of her 3 y/o!
i dint say anything to the woman it not worth it im actually dealing with anger problems ATM and i know i would have lost it on her...
people are soooo ignorant here its terrible...i can not stand it seriously...
Kami