Author Topic: Extended nursing thread part 3  (Read 58043 times)

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Extended nursing thread part 3
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2011, 16:47:25 pm »
Stefanie, I'd also keep the best feed the longest I think.

Thanks Marian!
I have tried (previously with dd and now with ds) increasing calories but I find if snack is higher calorie (ie cheese or higher fat yogurt) then they just eat less at dinner, if it's fruit and bf then they eat more at dinner. If I mix more calories/fats into dinner (more meat, adding avocado, or whatever), I find he eats a smaller portion as I guess it's heavier in the tummy so he feels more full.
I have also noticed this. So far I've doen either BF or solid snack, but will try doing what you suggested. I would also prefer if she BF rather than taking a lot of water, as have no need to cut out daytime feeds due to work etc. Thanks for reassuring me about the weight gain once again :-* It's so easy to worry. After looking things up on the WHO charts her weight is actually doing well and she has even climbed some percentiles between 6 and 12 mos. Her length growth has been slower though and is now off the charts :P
I never updated after the pead visit, did I? Had some tests due to the slow weight gain/growth and her eczema. They did tests for wheat intolerance (Celiac disease), thyroid function, and egg-, milk-, cat- and dog allergies. Got a letter yesterday saying all came out clear :) so got to go back just for the eczema in March. She said smaller children usually find their centile (the one they eventually stabilise on) later than larger/taller ones, so wasn't very concerned.
Food wise Sienna is eating a bit better now too, so the worries have mainly gone :) She's popped another tooth yesterday so now have 6 :) Latch is getting better as I'm forcing her to take a bit more breast in and not allowing her to pull back, which she likes to do, so the sores are healing up and nursing has been pain free for the last few days ;D We're doing 3 or 4 feeds/day depending on what we do, if she seems interested or not.

So that was an update on us :) We won't be around on here for a while as going to UK tomorrow to visit family for 2 weeks. See you later :-*

PS. We've been BF for 14 months today! ;D
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2011, 00:06:30 am »
We're down to 2 feeds per day.  It wasn't soemthing I planned on doing but now that I'm pregnant I've been really tired and sick and for a few days DH was around and after Aiden woke up from his naps int eh afternoon DH would leave me sleep and just give Aiden a sippy with milk.  And now we've been doing that for a week.  The night feed is better now.  Maybe because he really wants the BF by that time of night!  But today he came into the bedroom at one point and was really upset, looking at the bed (I feed him lying down on the bed) and just started crying and pulling at the covers even though he'd just had his milk.  Don't know if he was missing the feed or what, but I felt bad. :(

great job on the 14 months, Vicku!!!  We're at almost 16 months over here.
~Stef~

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2011, 22:21:48 pm »
BF here for 19months now. Next LO due less than 3 months so not sure what will happen then but still fairly relaxed about feeding and how often. K is dropping percentiles still although more slowly now, though he was a chunky baby so maybe he is taking after his Dad now who is slim. K told me today that there was Juice when he was BFing. Not sure if it was the change in milk while I am pg or if he just thinks all drink is juice now. He has taken to asking for the other breast when he is feeding. Sometimes I think he is just bored but I do wonder if the milk is running out with the pg though there is always some there if I express a little.

Offline sparrow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2011, 00:45:21 am »
Hi K's Mama, I'm also pregnant and breast feeding (16 m.o.) and she's taken to asking for the other boob too!  But then she'll want to go back and forth so I'm not sure what's going on with that.  Do you think you'll tandem nurse?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2011, 22:53:43 pm »
I am BFing (13.5mo) and pg too. Cadan has taken to asking for it all day. Sometimes at really inopportune moments. Like today we were in a meeting sitting in a big circle with the local council and a dozen mothers and fathers about our local playgroup closing down and he was banging my chest saying "buh, buh" (boob) and then cried when I tried to distract him. Thing is in a situation like that I know he will feed for a max of 10 seconds before twisting off my lap to run around so I really don't want to get my boob out for that.
How does everyone else deal with LO's asking when you don't wanna feed?
We are generally on 3x Bf a day, on morning WU, after his nap and at BT. I think sometimes he just asks when he is bored. I try to dstract him with another drink or food if we are eating.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2011, 06:21:29 am »
Ali- we do get that fairly often around here, especially with sickness or teething. During those times I find that the best solution is just picking DS up and cuddling for a while. It is often just comfort/ attention that he is craving. I've found distraction to be useless at this age as they can't forget their original aim for nothing! Interested to hear other replies though.

Is anyone on here taking the active weaning route? I am still doing ard 3-4 feeds a day here at 16 months and would like to get down to 2 in the next couple weeks. DS has had a couple days where he only did two but it didn't last long. Like I mentioned above the distraction thing doesnt seem to be working nor does offering food/milk in other forms. Any ideas or is it just to be expected that there will be a rough few days?

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2011, 07:02:20 am »
Hi everybody, I finally came back here after being gone so long (just too busy), but I love this forum and just wanted to post again. Anyways, we are still breastfeeding too and expecting another LO in July. I think I will go with tandem nursing if Hayden wants it, but he just loves his bfeeding too much to give it up. I still have to get rid of the night feedings though since I don't want two LOs waking all night long. :) Hayden also had a time when he was jumping from one breast to the other, but I wasn't comfy with it so I told him that he has to finish one before he can get the other, and he is fine with it now. I think they just start to really appreciate the comfort when they get older and know they can ask for more now. Or there is less milk, which is also quite possible when pregnant. I heard of a mum that lost all her milk during pregnancy but her LO kept nursing all the way through until the new baby came. Not sure if that is for everyone, but I guess it really is more like a comfort thing now anyways.

Gogomama, sorry I got no real advice for you since I am not really weaning. I think you will just have to go through some bumpy days until your LO excepts that he wont get as many feeds anymore.

Congrats to all the new babies on the way! :D
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2011, 12:52:34 pm »
When I went from the 3-2 it was with DH's help.  As in, I was napping and DH offered the sippy of milk.  Can you try to drop a feed on the weekend and conveniently be gone during the one you want to drop and have DH look after it for the 2 days?  And then on the Monday act like it's totally normal and offer the sippy/snack (which might go over better becuse it's food rather than a mommy substitute)?  You might have a harder time that your DH did but after 2 days it wouldn't be so much of a shock?  I think I would also try to do it over a couple of weeks... get rid of one then the other.  Then again, some LOs are better 'cold turkey'.  Whatever you decide, good luck! 
~Stef~

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2011, 14:24:55 pm »
I am up for tandem nursing yes, I will see what K does. I have never really actively weaned feeds just offered other things. I Have to distract K with something quite exciting when he wants feeding at akward minutes.

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2011, 15:59:12 pm »
Hi Everyone. I actively weened the mid-morning and afternoon feeds, (one month apart) the way Stefanie said, with DH's help. I picked a time when DH would be home the most days in a row and he would get DS when he woke from his naps (when we used to nurse) and offer a straw cup of milk. It went really well. Good luck!
Nini

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #295 on: February 09, 2011, 02:09:29 am »
I know I don't post often and my posts are not usually very long (terrible typer and speller) but I really need a place today to get everything out. Today will be the last time I BF my DS. It's been almost 16 months and I am so sad that this wonderful experience has come to an end. I BF today in the morning when he woke up, the last feed left to drop, and I actually took a picture, the best I could, on my own in bed while he was feeding just to remember the last time. I can't stop crying while I type this. I know that my DS is fine with it. He has woken up on the occasional morning w/ DH recently when I was working overnight, and he was really happy as a clam. It s me who is having the hard time. I am away for work next week and have been preparing for this day to come so that I could drop the AM 6 days b/f I left, and today is the day.  It really hit home when I went to buy coffee today and realized I could actually use artifical sweetner. No one I know really understands how hard this is for me. My DH tries to be sympathetic, but I know he doesn't get it. I just love my son so much and I love the bond that BF fostered. I also loved the peaceful time that we spent together, which was truly golden as he is a spirited lil monkey. I just can't believe it over.

Thanks for listening.
Nini

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #296 on: February 09, 2011, 04:14:00 am »
Oh Nini, I'm sorry you are so sad!!  :'(
I think you have done a great job though BFing for this long!! 16months!! Well done. :D
I am also dreading the end of BFing my DS, it is such a nice peaceful and comforting thing to do with your LO, sometimes it is the only time of the day when I get to sit down and relax!
You will still be able to cuddle and enjoy your DS, and he may want more cuddles after you stop completely too, as I know this happened to my SIL when she stopped.
So nice that you have a photo to relive your memories by too, and you know the bond you have made will not be broken.
 :-*
-Cathy-

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #297 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:42 am »
Wanting to send some {{{Hugs }}}}} nini! You should be so proud of yourself for 16 months. I'm sorry it's been so rough, but I am sure like Cathy said your bond will continue to thrive in other ways.

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #298 on: February 09, 2011, 20:38:09 pm »
Well done and big hugs, Nini!!!  I agree with pp but understand it must be tough :(
~Stef~

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #299 on: February 09, 2011, 21:34:47 pm »
Hi ladies, guess I can join this thread now that ds2 is a year old.  I've just dropped his day feed a couple of days ago so we're feeding at wake up and bedtime now.  I'm going back to work next month which is why I've dropped the day feed.  Have been offering milk out of a cup with snacks and he's been taking a bit but not a lot.  I'm already starting to panic about what's going to happen when I'm back at work though as will be working 8am-6pm with at least an hour travelling each side so if I make one of those feeds I'll be lucky.  Will only be working an average of two days a week (sometimes 1 and sometimes 3) so any suggestions on what to do on the days when I'm at work and can't feed him?