Author Topic: Extended nursing thread part 3  (Read 58041 times)

Offline shivi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
Re: Extended nursing thread part 3
« Reply #345 on: April 01, 2011, 19:17:14 pm »
at this age Vick, my two were on their jolly way to stopping feeding altogether...so we were down to one side only (their preferred, the left) period.

also, my kids never bit me...or at least only tried to nibble at the end of feedings, which was by accident or in Oscar's case, a cruel joke....he used to laugh! They both had 16 teeth by the time they self-weaned...but then they were never the type to want to "soothe on the boob" so perhaps its the non nutritive sucking thats causing the pain rather than the feeding per se?

Big hugs on the pain, hope it heals and you enjoy your hols.

K's mum- best of luck over the coming weeks and months xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #346 on: April 01, 2011, 19:35:51 pm »
I am getting sore boobs BFing while pg but as KM says it actually gives you a rest. I love being able to laze in bed for an extra half hour in the mornings whilst Cadan has his morning BF all snuggled up in his sleep nest.  :)
We are in the process of weaning the after nap feed. I am doing don't offer, don't refuse and he hasn't been asking that much. Sometimes he will ask later in the pm but then he'll only feed for literally 10 seconds then get down. We are still doing the morning and BT feeds. BT is about 10mins normally.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #347 on: April 01, 2011, 19:39:49 pm »
I am doing better stopping the day feeds and sticking to the am and BT feeds until about 5pm then when DS starts to get tired he asks. We even went to playgroup today and he saw someone else BFing and he pointed and said "boob" and I felt sure he would ask for some but he didn't.

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2011, 00:46:45 am »
I think we're coming to end girls!..I'm shocked, ds is almost 2 months shy of his 2nd b-day and so far he's losing complete interest and when he does feed it's for literarlly a sip!..this AM he had a quick feed and in the PM we cuddled, I put him to bed and that was it!!

I'm going to start a post on this, but how did you girls manage or plan to manage the transition to a cup of milk, ds doesn't seem to have the patience to actually sit and drink a whole cup, we still use a sippy though.
Adam's Mum

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #349 on: April 06, 2011, 06:16:42 am »
Emma still isn't a big milk guzzler almost 8 mths on from her self-wean. She drinks maybe 4 or 5 oz am and pm but eats SOOO well incl lots of calcium rich foods that I don't tend to worry. I prefer this over Oscar who'd still eat cereal and milk over everything else.

Self weaning can come all of a sudden....so big gentle hugs for that Yazzie and well done for giving Adam the start you have given him xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Yazzie

• Mummy's angel
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2011, 09:36:15 am »
Thanks Shivi :)

I will try, I do worry he's not getting enough Calcium, however he's big fan of cheeses and yogurt so hope that can weigh things out.
Adam's Mum

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #351 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:31 am »
*hugs* Yazzie from me as well. Now that I've weaned her from her morning feed, she seems to really want the bedtime one ::) Oh boy.

Does Adam like to read books? Z doesn't really drink a lot of milk in a few minutes, but over a half hour she'll sit and drink and read with me in the morning. Or in the car. Or anywhere where she's distracted. :)
*Sarah*

Offline Yazzie

• Mummy's angel
« Reply #352 on: April 07, 2011, 11:18:34 am »
I guess our issue is that Adam's attention span in like zero  ::)..LOL

I will keep trying though, he now is officially done with night feeds and I'm keeping the morning ones till we get the milk issue resolved...my baby isn't a baby anymore  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Adam's Mum

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #353 on: April 07, 2011, 15:30:56 pm »
hugs Yazzie ...it's hard when they start growing up!
*Sarah*

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #354 on: April 07, 2011, 20:12:30 pm »
Yazzie, that is interesting if it is all of a sudden. A is the same age as k and I am now hoping he will self wean in the next couple of months because it was my plan to stop at 2yrs and now with no 2 on the way I feel bad to do it actively.
K will still drink a cup of milk and like pp says better when distracted. I often give him a drink when he is sitting watching/helping me prep breakfast and he drinks it quick, or in the buggy he loves to drink. They really don't need that much milk these days esp if he eats yogurt and cheese and cereal and other calcium rich foods. K also likes to drink the milk from the cereal bowl (after eating the cornflakes for e.g.) so I add a little extra sometimes.

Offline Yazzie

• Mummy's angel
« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2011, 21:12:01 pm »
I'm shocked that it happened so suddenly, I was just setting plans for how I'll wean and then buuuuuuuum!!!...I guess they really choose when to stop!
Adam's Mum

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2011, 21:26:20 pm »
Hugs Yazzie.
I think we are now down to the morning and BT BFs only now. I only give one in the day if he asked and I can't distract, which has been rare the last week.
I love the morning feed and would be sad to lose that. It is 20-25mins and he is still all dozey. Plus it gives me extra time to wake up before it is all go. For the BT feed he keeps saying no when I offer before our BT routine which is exactly as we have been doing for the last 10mo at least. But then after he is in PJ's and ready for bed he asked for it. Then he will take a massive feed up to 30mins. It is a little annoying as it means I have to brush his teeth again and I also worry his nappy will be wet soon after he goes to bed but I think it is worth it to get that longer feed into him. When we were doing it before the BTR it was 8 mins tops.

Offline Yazzie

• Mummy's angel
« Reply #357 on: April 08, 2011, 14:24:43 pm »
Enjoy it Ali, Cadan really is still young. We were down to two feeds from when A was 12 months old actually.
Adam's Mum

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #358 on: April 08, 2011, 20:00:19 pm »
Well maybe I spoke too soon. Cadan refused his morning BF for the first time ever today! He had done a poo when I went to get him from his cot first thing and by the time I had changed it he was more interested in running around and said he didn't want it. It is normally the first thing he asks for. I hope he isn't weaning and it was just the poo that threw him. I offered a few times later in the day but he said no to all. He took his BT BF as normal though so hopefully it was just a one off.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #359 on: April 09, 2011, 22:28:44 pm »
Hmmm, Cadan refused his morning BF again this morning.  :o :( I really am starting to worry he is weaning. It was always his best feed of the day at 20-30mins. Daddy was home this morning and he was more interested in waking him up from the bed beside us. He did ask for a feed when we were both in the bath after breakfast but only had 3x 30seconds or so then lost interest.
He did feed at BT but due to a ridiculously short 25min nap in the car today (his only one, he normally does 2.5hrs) he feel asleep 15mins into the first side. He never does that. He even stayed asleep while I carried him into the cot which he never does either. Meant we didn't brush his teeth again after the feed too, although DH had done it before. I guess we shall see if he is interested tomorrow morning. I hope so. I felt really sad this morning.  :'(