Author Topic: 7 months old has 10 hour nights overtired or is this normal?  (Read 5881 times)

Offline brenda2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 227
Re: 7 months old has 10 hour nights overtired or is this normal?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 18:27:11 pm »
if he's sleeping well for night and goes down easily for naps then it's fine to do 2 short naps in the afternoon, but usually what happens is that they fight one of the naps or fight bedtime or wake early due to too much sleep/not enough A.  so watch him and adjust your routine accordingly.  it's easier when they're on 2 naps because A time is longer and naps are easier to plan around (more consistent) so you can get out and do something while they're awake and then it's not so bad to be in while they're napping.

Offline tracy28011984

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 14:33:28 pm »
What A Time does LO do at 9 months I'm trying to plan ahead so we dont fall into ew poor naps again on here it says between 8-10 months A of 3-4 hrs?

Offline brenda2

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 16:38:00 pm »
you can check out the EASY forum for sample routines.  really everyone does something slightly different because all los are different and sleep needs are different.

my 9.5 o is doing this (low sleep needs):
7 awake
11-12:30 sleep
4:30-5 sleep
7:30  bed

sttn 11 to 11.5 hours.

she has 4 hours A time now except after the catnap.

Offline tracy28011984

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 17:16:51 pm »
The last two mornings he has been back to normal after a catnap of 30 mins on Sunday he woke at 6.10a.m Monday and yesterday I did not give him a catnap because he woke at 3.30 after a 1 hr 10 nap (lots of stirring) I intended to put him at bed at 6.30 but he was refusing his bottle and then he had diarhoea so he didnt get to bed until 7.00p.m so he was stirring alot during the night and finally woke up around 5.30-6.00 on/off.
I'm thinking maybe he can only sttn for 11 hours.
I have noticed that when I'm keeping him up for 3hr A Time there's lots of stirring throughout his naps do you think could mean A Time is too long, he yawns alot so its hard to tell when hes truly tired.
What time do you suggest catnap if he wakes at 3? after 1hr 10mins because he seems to be having alot of naps this length lately, is it a true nap? Today he woke at 3.05 after 1 hr 10 mins and seemed shattered so I put him down at 5pm for 30 mins, don't know what time to put him down for bed 7.00/7.30p.m?

Offline brenda2

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 18:45:09 pm »
a 1 hour 10 min nap usually means ut and he can handle more A time before it.  how long A time is he doing before a 1 hour 10 min nap?

did he go to sleep at 5 for 30 min or did he fight the catnap?

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 21:50:36 pm »
Hi there,  I have locked the post in NW so we can keep all advice in one place for you here on General Sleep.

11 hours STTN is fine, a lot of LO's only ever do 11. 

With the refusing bottle, diarrhea, and restless naps it sounds like teething to me...any chance?
So his 1 hr 10 naps could be UT but he's having a hard time with the A times because he's not feeling grand due to teeth. 

1 hr 10 naps are not the worst but too many of these shaved naps consecutively cause issues with OT.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline tracy28011984

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 10:40:55 am »
He did 2 hr 45 before the nap yesterday and we got a 1hr 10 nap and on Sunday he did the same and I only got a 30 mins nap. Can't figure out what A he needs to do at the moment. I think he is getting another tooth coming through.
Yesterday I gave him a catnap from 5.00-5.30, he didnt fight it went straight down and was grumpy when I woke him. I put him down at 7pm and he went to sleep until 5.50a.m, it justs means with these early mornings that he needs 3 naps to make it through until I can increase his A Time. When I am giving him 3hr A he always seems shattered, although he often yawns sometimes straight after a nap sometimes an hour later so its hard to tell.

Offline brenda2

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 14:55:27 pm »
yawns don't mean much at this age.  just keep pushing it by 5 min every few days.  at this age my lo wasn't totally consistent with her naps yet either.  i would do the same A time and get completely different results.  it does get easier as they get older.  then the sleep window isn't so short.  kwim?

if you are giving him a 3rd nap  anyway have you tried letting it go a little later and then putting him to bed a bit later to see if he will sleep in the next day.  i mean if he will only do 11 hour nights and you don't want him up before 7 then you should aim for an 8 pm bedtime. 

Offline tracy28011984

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 17:10:24 pm »
Thats what I was doing prior to this and we were getting 5.30-6 a.m wake ups. I had a thought today, our clocks go forward in 2 weeks so hopefully it will all change then and we will be gettin 7am wake ups 8pm bedtime

Offline brenda2

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 19:31:34 pm »
oh..where are you?  our clocks went ahead last saturday.  lo has already adjusted herself even though i was trying hard to keep her on a later schedule.  back to 6:30 wake ups  :P  at least she just plays in her crib quietly until 7.

Offline tracy28011984

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 15:10:31 pm »
Yesterday night he woke at 1.30a.m coughing so I gave him his dummy which usually helps him go straight off after 1/2 hour he was moaning and didnt seem that he was going to settle so I went into his room smelt his bottom and realised he had diarrhoea. I had to take him downstairs to change him and I think he was a bit confused when I took him back upstairs because he wanted a bottle. He cried for a about 10 mins then settled I next heard him at 5.00a.m and my parnter put his dummy in then he was on/off again until 6.00a.m, I didn't realise but he had diarrhoea again poor little thing. He would not settle after that change so was up for the day. I dropped him off at nursery today and am expecting bad naps we'll have to wait and see.
My question is he has not had a bottle during the night since he was three months old and I don't want to start giving him one now incase he starts to expect it regularly, do you think that's fair?
Any adive to help diarrhoea would also be much appreciated. I'm giving the doctor a stool sample tommorrow to see if we can find out whats causing this.

Offline brenda2

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 16:49:14 pm »
ohoh diarrhea.  well if he's sick that would explain the nws.  at 7 mo diarrhea may just mean that he ate less solids and his poo is more runny because of more milk consumption/less solids.  but if it's a lot or very often and he seems sick - fever etc, check with the doc for sure.

if he hasn't had a bottle at night for a long time then he probably doesn't need one but if he's sick and not eating well during the day then he may genuinely be hungry.  i don't think it's a problem to give one every once in a while in special circumstances, it probably won't become a problem and if it does you will be able to get him bck on track easily.

Offline tracy28011984

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 10:09:25 am »
He keeps waking between 5-5.30 after 10 hr nights now and I need to change him then because he is having diarhoea reguarly, but after he will not go back to sleep which means the days are starting very early so the first nap is starting no later than 9am which means even with two good naps we are not getting near 3pm so are often needing that 30 min catnap (He has been trying to fight it last three days but I managing to squeeze it in as he is swaddled still.
Gave the doctor sample of diarrhea yuk! yesterday so should get results back on Monday. He also has appointment at hospital on wednesday so they can do tests on him to try and find out what is causing his wheeze and constant cough, I'll keep you posted.

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 21:30:04 pm »
Keep us posted and sending you lots of {{{get well vibes}}}  :-*

Offline tracy28011984

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 10:42:36 am »
Yesterday he had two 2 hr naps which meant we could skip the catnap and bed for 7pm. This morning he woke at 4.30a.m I put his dummy in and he talked and moved around until 5.10 so I got him up and changed him then decided to see if he wanted a bottle which he did then he went back off at 5.45a.m until 7.15 when I woke him.(Do you think I should have woke him then).
So his next nap I put him down at 10.15a.m and he was very twisty, seemed overtired although didnt show signs of overtiredness in his wake time. Now I will wait to see when he next wakes up, haven't got my hopes up though.