Author Topic: Please tell me this will work...experiences? Big Update!  (Read 10255 times)

Offline nimblelikeduck

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Please tell me this will work...experiences? UPDATE :)
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 02:11:45 am »
Awesome!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 15:26:22 pm »
How are you getting on? xx

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 15:52:34 pm »
Thanks for checking in :) 

We are doing okay.  I feel like we took a couple of steps back which is sord've my fault as I am due to deliver any day now, and am sluggish. BUT, we have been sticking to the plan except for oatmeal.  I am just thrilled that he is eating it that he has been requesting it EVERY morning.  I have given him oatmeal, saturday, monday, and today...I spoke with the nutritionist that said as long as he is eating this for breakfast only and it is nutritous then that is good.  She wanted me to mix in plain oatmeal with it as he is eating the apple cinnamon kind.  I said I would do that, great idea. 

He has eaten another turkey dog (yay!)
He also has been eating blueberries too.

PROBLEMS:  Won't eat bread again for me, refuses pasta, still refuses cheerios and PB+J.  We keep offering these foods though (amongst others).  I guess I am just getting discouraged...

I am definately sticking to this plan but I wonder if he just isn't trying more new stuff because he had the oatmeal in the morning...but he will eat the oatmeal at 7:30 and supper isn't until almost 6 most nights so he must be starving right???   

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 18:59:29 pm »
OH my word!  I can't believe you having been doing this all in your last weeks of pregnancy!  You're a supermum!!

With the oatmeal, I'd probably say that's what he's having for breakfast before he has a chance to request it so that the control and decision is yours and not his.  Some LOs do really well initially and then start requesting a 'new' food and then progress halts a bit as they think they've got the control over meals back.  So long as you make it YOUR choice he's having oatmeal and not his I don't see it being a big issue.  You could maybe give slightly less and a few blueberries or something like that.  I used to mix apple and pear puree in with DD's porridge just to get more fruit in.  If you started with a small amount of really pureed stuff he may eat it as it already has an apple taste! 

Just keep at it.  Keep offering varied things and he will eat when he's hungry.   You may have more success with completely new foods (so rice krispies rather than cheerios) as he has no history of refusing them. 

He's doing great!!!  Take it easy on yourself though.  You must be exhausted hun.  What is your due date?  Am sure you are looking forward to meeting your new wee bundle!!

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 20:07:45 pm »
Thanks!!!

That is a great idea, It is so much of a control issue.  I did switch up the flavor one day and he was so upset about it.  He tantrumed forever, I finished my breakfast and left the room.  I came back in the kitchen and told him that I would be tossing it soon if he doesn't come to the table.  He ran over and started gobbling it up.  I will add the fruit puree...didn't even think of that. 

I am due June 25th; however, I feel like she may be arriving very shortly as my son was a week early....we shall see!!!!

What other cereals would you recommend in addition to rice crispies?  I know I shouldn't...but what about the new cheerios with the cocoa ones mixed with regular?  I just want him to try something like cereal!!!!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 13:08:34 pm »
Big fan of Kix here. Still low in sugar but kids seem to really like it. Puffins are good too (and they have different flavors). Clifford Crunch is another healthy but fun one.

Feel good!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 13:59:12 pm »
Special K and varieties like that have fruit pieces in them which give them a sweet flavor. And Raisin bran. That way they seem more fun but they're not Colorful or chocolate looking so they don't appear to be sweets/candy, which I sort of think could end up causing you trouble since he has an affinity for them and likes to exert that control ;)

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 17:37:27 pm »
Thanks!!!

He came to the table today even though he was angry about what was on his plate...thank goodness!  I really wish I did this months ago!

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 17:40:55 pm »
I just looked up Clifford Crunch, my son loves him!  Great idea....in organic section?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 18:02:08 pm »
Yup, I buy it at Whole Foods usually.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 18:56:16 pm »
It is so much of a control issue.

Any kiddos I've worked with, its always been a control issue.  Wee monkeys!  It can be really hard as a parent to not just feed them what they are eating as at least they are eating something.  And kids are so clever.  I had one wee guy who we got to eat yogurt, raisins and cereals and then that was all he ate!  When I went back to do a review they had been letting him as they were healthier than his other foods but he had totally gained control back and not actually increased the variety of foods he was eating!   

Good news on coming to the table today!!  He's getting there! 

Good luck for your due date!  Thats very exciting! 

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 14:22:08 pm »
Hi all!  I can't believe it has been almost a year since my original post.  I wanted to give an update:

So, I had my daughter in June and things went south for the most part; however, he was eating healthier things like oatmeal (okay, basically oatmeal). 

Anyways, this week, I told him, the doctor said it's time for you to start eating vegetables to get healthy bones and a healthy body.  He is into being healthy now, thank God, because of Sid the Science Kid AND from the Berenstein bears book about healthy eating.  So, this week he has agreed to "try" as in chew and swallow a veggie a night. Our progress:

Night 1: 1 kernal of corn (i'm serious) Initially gagged but then I dipped one in oatmeal and he ate it.

Night 2: One slice of a beet, gagged at first but ate it

Night 3: Carrots:  two bites, no gagging!!

Night 4: Brocolli: two bites, again no gagging!!!!!!!

Night 5 (last night):  He ate 3 spoon fulls of pees!!!

Tonight we are going to try bakes beans!  I feel really happy about this, so much so I could cry!!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 16:01:30 pm »
AWESOME!!!! You rock! And congrats on the baby girl too...

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 16:13:46 pm »
VERY VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing work!!!!!!!

And congrats on your baby girl!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 16:22:27 pm »
Excellent progress!!!!!!!