Author Topic: 12 months old - calcium and milk options for the multiple food intolerant child  (Read 25180 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Are you going to do that direct to Kai or too yourself first??

One thing I was thinking as that *I* might be able to have some of these things before cows milk as well. And I would like that  ;).

I don't know the answer to the calcium and oat milk thing. It is an added extra so I guess it depends what form they have used? I will try and find out.

But isn't it true that if there are low levels of calcium in the diet the body will compensate by working hardest to get what is actually there? So what is not readily available may become much more available to the body iyswim?

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
I think so, and also that diet alone is enough for a baby to get calcium especially becaues they don't excrete much calcium, unlike most adults. Things like caffeine and I wish I cold remember what else actually cause your body to excrete it.

I will be doing it direct to Kai since hthe pan is for him to be drinking it from 12 months on  ::)  If he doesn;t pass I will then do the yoghurt challenge (buffalo milk)  next as that is apparantly a great source of calcium and the protein easier to digest.  However i am having trouble sourcing this stuff  ::)

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
  However i am having trouble sourcing this stuff  ::)

I'm not surprised - you kind of need to get it direct from a farm or farm shop don't you?? I found one website over here doing buffalo products but they only sell in bulk to farm shops etc. We get a local farmers Market here - do you get those sort of things? Just might be worth asking some of the people there if they know anyone producing it?  I remember a stall selling buffalo meats at one point, but haven't seen them in a while - but they might be a good place to look iyswim?

Offline EloysH

Oh thanks for those ideas Liz, yes we do have several large organic farmers markets here, I  remember seeing organic goat cheese, so hopefully they can put me onto someone.

I also have yet to try another large whole foods chain..  and of course I can go right back to the naturopath and get it from where she does... hopefully I won't have to drive across the city just to buy milk  ::)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
The main reason I make yogurt at home is the cost, but it also tastes really REALLY good. We seem to be able to digest yogurt without the digestive side effects, since the cuulturing alters the sugars and bacteria somewhat by partially pre-digesting them.

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
I'm following this post. Great info Eloise. We are starting the great debate of what we will start feeding Myla in a few weeks when she turns 12 months. She can tolerate cheese, but not yogurt yet so therefore I'm to scared to attempt cow's milk. Goats milk interests me. I'm going to pick some up this week and try it in one of her omlettes and see how small amounts do to her tummy. Thanks for sharing this:)
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline EloysH

No worries!  Good luck!  See if you can find unpasteurised.  There is a big difference in the proteins and hence the chances of them being able to digest it.

Offline deb

There's also apparently a difference whether the milk has been cooked or not. A friend with a dairy- and egg-allergic child says LO can now do eggs and milk IF they've been cooked for a certain amount of time, but still none raw. She managed a bit of long-baked pizza recently, but still isn't able to have, say, butter in or on something unless it's been cooked in it long enough.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
There's so much good info on this thread Eloise, I wonder if you could get it stickied in the FA board.  It's one of those things lots of moms, especially those with intolerant babies, wonder about as their LO's approach a year.   It would be nice to have all the info available to them on one thread.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline EloysH

sure lets ask Buntybear  :)

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
[Just switching threads here a bit from the MSPI thread.
I talked to a lady I know who has helped me with diet advice for both my kids since she knows quite a bit about food (she's follows Nourishing Traditions etc) . She has IBS and was the one that directed me to info about FODMAP diet since she recognised a pattern with what did and didn't affect J.

She gets raw cow's milk delivered to her and she suggested that I try making yoghurt out of that so it will be really easy for me to get some of that when the time comes. She can't drink normal cow's milk, and can only tolerate raw cow's milk when it has been fermented into yoghurt.

She also suggested that if he passes cheese and yoghurt to try raw goat's milk and is checking her sources to see if she can find that for me. So that's all good news. I was a bit  ??? :o :-\ about where to go to source them.
Jenny - mama to

Offline drsinpa

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
I haven't been here for a while and WOW did I miss a lot!  Eloise, you asked how DD1 symptoms had changed when we tried to add dairy back in when she was younger.  Initially, she had colic and baby acne.  Now her somatic symptoms appear to be nerve-related.  She has headache, achiness, feels overheated.  Even worse, she experiences anxiety and mood swings.  I didn't believe her doctor at first that the psychological symptoms were related, but they completely went away when we cut diary and gluten, They come back in a few hours if she eats them and last for about 4 days.

Regarding the piece on making your own yogurt - we have started making our own kefir with coconut milk and it is wonderful.  We sweeten it with a little honey and vanilla to have a smoothie.  It is thinner than traditional yogurt, but we are thinking that we can strain it to make cheese and use the "whey" to inoculate some fermented veggies.

Offline deb

Oooh, hadn't thought to kefir actual coconut milk. I do actually have a jar of coconut water (the young coconut juice) kefir-ing on my kitchen counter as I type, though. Maybe I'll try to culture some cows' milk and coconut milk together sometime.

BTW, our whole family is intolerant of cows' milk, but there's a place on my way here from my IL's place in another state where raw milk is legal that sells raw goats' milk by the half-gallon. It's pretty dear, far more for a half-gallon than for a gallon of organic cows' milk :o, but I bought a half-gallon to try, and we can all drink it without the digestive consequences. Bought some pasteurized goats' milk on another occasion and no-go - it was the being raw that made the difference (I suspected it would).

Offline EloysH

Yes I love my copy of Nourishing Traditions, it is WONDERFUL!  Just to clarify Kai is on RAW goat milk and tolerating it.    I can't wait to make yoghurt from raw cow milk!

Interesting Deb!   We have found the same here too!

Also, my elder son who is 3.5 has been complaining of painful wind  (was a reflux baby and dariy intolerant as an infant) and on a hunch I got him some raw cows milk to try... well, no more wind! I put him back on A2 cows milk, but no go, the wind came back and also urgent poos.

Quote (selected)
Initially, she had colic and baby acne.  Now her somatic symptoms appear to be nerve-related.  She has headache, achiness, feels overheated.  Even worse, she experiences anxiety and mood swings.  I didn't believe her doctor at first that the psychological symptoms were related, but they completely went away when we cut diary and gluten, They come back in a few hours if she eats them and last for about 4 days.

I find this fascinating.  My naturopath thinks that most don't out grow intolerances, rather the symptoms change...  that's why I have een watching my 3.5 yr old very closely lately.

Jenny, we can buy raw cows milk as "Bath milk" from a health food shop.  It is not allowed t sell for consumption legally, however, the dairy is a AAA rated dairy and knows that people are drinking their milk. Selling as Bath Milk is a loophole.
The raw goat milk can be bought from our health food shop too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:53:36 am by EloysH »

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
lso, my elder son who is 3.5 has been complaining of painful wind  (was a reflux baby and dariy intolerant as an infant) and on a hunch I got him some raw cows milk to try... well, no more wind! I put him back on A2 cows milk, but no go, the wind came back and also urgent poos.
This is intersting because I've been thinking the same about E lately. She's always had 'funny' poos (that's what she has started calling them now - says "ohhh Mama! I've got funny poos!") - loose and often and just in the last 3 or 4 months has started complaining of a sore tummy after drinking milk. She hardly ever even asks for it now and I think it's because she knows it gives her a sore tummy. I'll get some raw milk off my friend and see if it helps her too.

My naturopath thinks that most don't out grow intolerances, rather the symptoms change...  that's why I have een watching my 3.5 yr old very closely lately.
This makes sense really.

Jenny, we can buy raw cows milk as "Bath milk" from a health food shop.  It is not allowed t sell for consumption legally, however, the dairy is a AAA rated dairy and knows that people are drinking their milk. Selling as Bath Milk is a loophole.
The raw goat milk can be bought from our health food shop too.
the health food shop I go to was destroyed in the earthquake and I don't know of any others so will have to investigate. I think she would have known though if they sold raw milk (I know she goes elsewhere for raw cow's milk but because of the earthquake she is now the drop-off point for it and she gets it free for the hassle of being the distributor! So that's really handy for me.

Just curious Eloise, how is the way you eat going to change once K is weaned in light of ALL the new things you now know? And are you going to go slow in introducing dairy, wheat etc? I found it took me a while to get used to eating more than a wee bit of dairy (not as long as I remember Kirry saying though).
Jenny - mama to