Author Topic: 12 months old - calcium and milk options for the multiple food intolerant child  (Read 25131 times)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
i hear you jenny! i'm actually a bit peeved at my dietician for not picking up earlier that he wasnt on enuf calcium on the LCP for the last 2 mths. it's only recently that he has reduced so much that i asked about calcium >:( note that the 500mg is required for 1yo (up to 3yo i think?? and then it increases again??). it is a fair bit less than that when they are under 1.

elo, will have to do more label reading next shopping visit, but i've been finding that in plain yoghurt too  :(

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
This is a v useful sticky!

DD nearly 1 and we are getting a bit desperate to offer an alternative to BF as my supply is dropping.  I'm fairly sure someone on here mentioned using an oat and coconut milk combination as a substitute and was just wondering about the proportions for that.

Thanks!
Ruth

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
Make your own cows milk yogurt: http://girlsguidetobutter.com/2010/02/crock-pot-yogurt/. Trivia: the "Stacy" in the comments is Stacy here! Smiley She's the one who put me on to that recipe. I don't use a crockpot, just the Dutch oven and a meat thermometer, then after adding the culture to the pot, I pour the milk into glass jars (IKEA has some good ones - they don't seal worth a darn but they don't need to for this) and put 'em next to my fridge covered with towels, on a heating pad during chilly Winter months.

I've actually done this method because she posted it on FB. It was so easy. I'll have to try the coconut milk one. I also made the no kneed dough from that site. That also worked out really well for me.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
I'm looking at food ways of adding calcium to J's diet and it seems a bit daunting!
He only gets about 150mg-200mg from Neocate
Maybe another 75-100mg from rice milk in porridge

so we're still coming up quite short. He eats broccoli but my list says 60mg/ cup! And he's only eating a couple of pieces! Most of the things on the list I can imagine giving him at some stage in a week but not every day!

It seems that tahini is the lowest volume/mg calcium thing but I don't know how to use tahini except in hummus. Actually hummus is a pretty good idea since chickpeas have calcium too.

Eloise, you have sardines on your list. I don't eat fish or seafood of any kind so have NO IDEA about it. When you say sardines cooked with bones, how do you do that? And how do you serve it :-[?
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
you can also put the hummus on toast or tahini on toast, I think a tablespoon of tahini is equivalent to one cup of broccoli/bok choy.  Unfortunately, Kai is not on very high sals yet so haven't got up to this bit yet.

You can buy canned red salmon, the bones are mashable, I make patties with potato and fry them.  I personally hate tinned sardines so don't serve them much  ::)

I also steam a whole lot of bok choy and broccoli, blend it up and mix with sweet potato - baked and chopped also an egg yolk and butter.  They need to eat with an essential fatty acid and egg yolk to absorb all the vitamins including calcium. He will easily get half a cup into them that way.

Another way to get it into them is to add the blended broccoli and bok choy to a GF and dairy free waffle mixture and make bokchoy waffles in the waffle maker.  I usually make these every second day.

Oh I nearly forgot.  I also make homemade chicken stock once a week from an organic chicken.  I don't have any figures on it, but I know alot calcium comes out of the bones and also into the gelatinous stuff, so I mostly cook his meals with the homemade chicken stock.  Hoefully that adds to the total too!

I figure of every meal has something high in calcium in it, then that's the best I can do.

He does get about a table spoon of buffalo yoghurt a day too.  I guess it all adds up  ::)

Also, its not on the lists, but egg yolk is high in calcium and vitamin D, and essential cholesterol, so keep adding to cooked veg.

Offline Edesanja

Good info thanks, Eloise.
I do make chicken stock whenever I cook a chicken but hadn't thought to cook veggies in it etc.
I'll give some of these things a go - ta.
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

I make  different pilafs start with a fried leek base, add the chopped root veg, butter, stock and then lentils and smattering of grains.  PUt the lid on and let it cook for 15 mins and all the stock absorbs, and left with a juicy grain pilaf.

I wish I could provide some calculations and numbers for amount of calcium but I made a choice not to get too bogged down with it and just serve the highest calcium foods that he can tolerate with every meal.  :P

Offline Edesanja

I wish I could provide some calculations and numbers for amount of calcium but I made a choice not to get too bogged down with it and just serve the highest calcium foods that he can tolerate with every meal.
That's fair enough. I've been doing some research so I can get a handle on what's what.

You are a fountain of knowledge! I'm going to have to sit down and write out some options otherwise I can see me getting overwhelmed ::).
Jenny - mama to

Offline clairevarey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi, Im new here and have found all your comments very interesting. My daughter is Milk Protein Intolerant and has various other allergies, eggs, nuts, seeds etc but is generally well. She has been on Nutramigen since I stopped breastfeeding and recently I have started to try other options for her calcium intake. I have found that most things remotely milk/creamy tasting she rejects. My main question is that since trying her on a little soy product, (a few chocolate buttons as a treat, soy yoghurt on breakfast or dessert etc), her sleep seems to be affected. I have kept a diary for a month now of all her activity, sleep times, food intake etc to try and find a common cause of her very early rising and the pattern seems to be Soy. My friend swears she had the same problem with her daughter but I have not been able to find any information. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Offline EloysH

Its probably best if you start this question on a new thread  :)  However I have found similar with 2.5 hr NW's and 5am-5:30am EW for about 3 months.  I took DS2 off all dariy except butter and he has sttn for 2 weeks and woken past 6am.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Soy intolerance is VERY common, even more so in babies who already have another food intolerance like dairy or other allergies. Please do start a new thread, though, so we can help you out. :)

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
Ladies, for those in the UK you may have already seen that Waitrose Ocado do an organic Buffalo milk pasteurised but not homogenised and allergic people, esp kids seem to do well on it judging by the reviews. We have a dairy allergic asthmatic exzema and hayfever boy so will give this buffalo milk a try after talking it over with a GP or a health visitor, as I suspect we are soy intolerant and I am going back to work so will not be breast feeding as much. We do calcium fortified oat milk but were given soy formula and his exzema got worse. Sigh. I excluded all dairy for two weeks now after the allergy tests came positive. Oat milk was fine but not sure about the soy. Because hayvever, exzema and a bout of asthma with frequent wheezing all seem to have come at the same time and not really going away despite antihestamines I am not sure what exactly he is alergic to besides dairy. Did you have to stop eating dairy yourselves? I did not as the test said that his allergy is mild, but maybe I should?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 22:39:28 pm by katyusha »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Hi Kate, I took diary out of my diet. I would have thought if it is an allergy then any amount of milk in his system would have some kind of effect on him?

Offline EloysH

Most dairy intolerant people are intolerant to the protein - caesin which is in buffalo and goat milks but easier to digest. At 12 months  put my son on buffalo and yoghurt and he could not tolerate it.  it took me 6 weeks to work out though, it was a build up reaction. He does not have an allergy - just an intolerance.  Milk proteins pass through the mothers milk so if you are breastfeeding you cannot eat any dariy at all, it takes two weeks toleave yours and babies system.