Author Topic: 12 months old - calcium and milk options for the multiple food intolerant child  (Read 25182 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Jenny, how bizarre to think that whole businesses have just disappeared overnight in the earthquake.  Does it feel like  the war times where commodities are hard to get ?  ;)

Interesting about E too... I often wondered about why there are so many adults out there with food intolerances and yet everyone says that babies grow out if it, when clearly a proportion of people just don't grow out  of it.

Quote (selected)
Just curious Eloise, how is the way you eat going to change once K is weaned in light of ALL the new things you now know? And are you going to go slow in introducing dairy, wheat et

Well this is the million dollar question right now.  I have now learned that I DO have some intolerances in the mix.  For so many months I was saying that there wasn't any benefits to me on this diet but now I recognise some glaringly obvious things.  I have had little or no acne and little or no wind or bloating in 12 months.  I thought that some bloating and painful wind at times was normal but clearly its not, I accepted it as part of my "normal" before I went on the diet.   So I will need to move slowly with food introductions and unfortunately and do group by group.  I will go for salicylates first and quite quickly, and also preservatives and additives... then wheat and dairy a bit more slowly.  I won;t be doing food challenges, I will try a quick liberalisation ( have had a gut full of food challenges!)   It won't stop me from having a few blow outs gorge fests at restuarants at first though...  even if I have to be curled up in a ball on the couch for 8 hours like Kirry was  ;)  

Offline drsinpa

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
I noticed the same thing when we cleaned up DD1's diet.  I had struggled with joint pain, chronic yeast, headaches, and seasonal allergies for years.  They fluctuated with my hormones, so I never thought about diet.  They are almost completely gone, though, as long as I stick to gluten and dairy free - which generally gets rid of any refined sugars and preservatives, as well, because you can't have anything processed. 

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
Interesting Eloise. You'll have to update with your findings when you finish all your introductions!

Jenny, how bizarre to think that whole businesses have just disappeared overnight in the earthquake.  Does it feel like  the war times where commodities are hard to get ?
Some things are hard to get but only because they're so hard to get to!! We live in the East which is the most badly damaged part and there ARE at least a couple of supermarkets open here now. But there are no department stores or basically any other kind of shops open so for that you need to cross town - except the normal way is to go through the one way system that takes you through the CBD and out the other side. But because the whole CBD is still closed you have to go around. And even then there are lanes r whole sides of the road closed and so it just makes traffic a nightmare. I have to brave it today but I usually just shop online!! And all I need to buy is bodysuits for J!!

This is the whole food shop I usually go to which is in town http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1782673581104&set=a.1782672021065.196338.1667400564&theater
Jenny - mama to

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
well k is all good on yoghurt (tho it is darn hard finding ones that are salicylate free!!) and we are on day 6 of cheese which is going okay except i cant get him to eat the stuff and am having to add it to various foods some of which he'll eat and others he'll throw (def a spirited little boy :P ). only symptom i've noticed is some wind but i think that's more because the cheese is constipating him a bit...

we are going to trial cows milk in about 2 weeks as even with a daily serve of yoghurt and cheese he still wont get enuf calcium on neocate LCP. but if he drinks cows milk he will... i am hesitant to put him on this before 18mths old tho :-\ and he wont eat chickpeas, cant get enuf bok choy into him anytime soon due to sals, egg everyday would constipate him, etc etc  ::) anyway plan is to start with 1/4 cup (60mL on his cereal) and gradually increase from there. she said to expect looser poos even frothy ones as his gut gets used to dealing with higher lactose content BUT it should settle after a few days to week at max. if he is still having problems after than then stop and ANY mucous stop the trial. (jenny, do u think that could have been going on with J??)

and on 'outgrowing' intolerances, well i get asthma on and off whenever i have wheat in my diet now. didnt get it once while on the restricted diet for bf. i do still eat some gf stuff but choosing to have asthma medication occasionally rather than cut it completely cos i like it too much :-\ bit easier to do that when it just requires taking a puffer occasionally and not causing gastro/intentistinal probs i guess.

Offline Edesanja

anyway plan is to start with 1/4 cup (60mL on his cereal) and gradually increase from there. she said to expect looser poos even frothy ones as his gut gets used to dealing with higher lactose content BUT it should settle after a few days to week at max. if he is still having problems after than then stop and ANY mucous stop the trial. (jenny, do u think that could have been going on with J??)

I'll keep this in mind. Will do cheese and yoghurt first though before going back to milk and will do raw. Got to wait for this pesky teeth first ::). I'm really bad at being able to identify mucous though. I don't really know what I'm looking for! :-[

Kirry, what is the recommended calcium intake that you've been given?
Jenny - mama to

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Just out of curiosity - and thanks for bearing with me as sals don't seem to be our issue and I can't keep them straight - when you're buying yogurt, what ingredients have the sals? If the yogurt itself is free and clear, can you make your own? It really isn't hard once you work out a system - I make it a gallon at a time, and I know exactly what's in it. :)

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
drsinpa - how did you make your own coconut kefir 

DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
Does anybody know how to make coconut yogurt?
I googled it but the only receipt that came up requires a special device.
The cheapest I have found coconut yogurt for here is 2.50 for 8 oz (1 cup).
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Make your own coconut yogurt: http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/. Instead of a food dehydrator to keep the heat high enough while it cultures (about 105-115F), a regular heating pad turned to Low works for us, as does setting the culturing jars of yogurt (we make cows milk yogurt with a very similar process) next to our ridiculously-inefficient fridge and covering exposed surfaces with a few towels. Also use a regular meat thermometer instead of a candy thermometer. Some people use a cooler to keep the culturing stuff at the right temp.

Make your own cows milk yogurt: http://girlsguidetobutter.com/2010/02/crock-pot-yogurt/. Trivia: the "Stacy" in the comments is Stacy here! :) She's the one who put me on to that recipe. I don't use a crockpot, just the Dutch oven and a meat thermometer, then after adding the culture to the pot, I pour the milk into glass jars (IKEA has some good ones - they don't seal worth a darn but they don't need to for this) and put 'em next to my fridge covered with towels, on a heating pad during chilly Winter months.

Coconut water kefir procedure: http://www.ehow.com/how_5947959_make-coconut-water-kefir.html. Most of the links I found start with actual green coconuts but when they started to get popular here I found it was about the same price to get coconut water in tetra-paks and go from there. I start with a big jar, fill it about 3/4 with coconut water (about 3-4 coconuts' worth) and add the kefir starter. I didn't know to heat it, so we just use room temp. After a day or so on the counter it gets a bit fizzy, meaning it's working! :)

Offline EloysH

As far as I know ther are no sals in plain yoghurt, just amines.  Maybe Kirry is wanting vanilla flavoured yoghurt?

Offline drsinpa

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Here is how I do coconut kefir in the crock pot:
pour 2 qts full-fat coconut milk into *clean* crock pot (needs to be free of additives)
set temp to "low". Warm milk to 180 deg F (this will take few hours, but you can do whatever while it's heating).
Turn crock off. Allow to cool to room temp for about another 2.5 - 3 hrs to about 100 deg F.
Add your starter - the first time, I start with kefir starter from Body Ecology online, but now I use 1/2 c from my last batch. Stir up
with *clean* spoon or whisk.
Ignore for about 48 hrs. Mix is back up because it will tend to separate.  Filter through a mesh strainer in to whatever lidded container you want to keep it in and refrigerate. 

To make honey vanilla kefir: add about a tsp of vanilla and enough honey
to sweeten it to taste, maybe 1/4-1/2 c or so, depending on how sweet you want it. Just be sure to add
the honey and mix it in well before chilling the kefir.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Martina and Eloise - sorry ladies, just seen your comments about making this thread a sticky - great idea - DONE!  :-*

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
sals i'm finding are lemon juice and apple juice or concentrate in majority of yoghurts. (majority of fruit is high in sals, juice is even higher as concentrated)

jenny, 500mg calcium for a 1yo.

Offline EloysH

What about plain yoghurts?  Can you then flavour them yourself ? I  am about to try and make my own yoghurt is really seems sooo easy.

Offline Edesanja

jenny, 500mg calcium for a 1yo.
It's the same here - I've seen recommendations for 750mg-800mg before which made me  :o :o :o. I'd never get that much into J. We are going to need to do something soon. He's drinking about 450ml sometimes marginally more of Neocate and it's only 49mg/100ml so that's less than half!! I'm using calcium fortified rice milk for puddings and his porridge and using the other sources of calcium when I can, but I really need to get him onto the yoghurt/cheese or else switch to Neocate Advance soon because I don't think it's adding up to enough.
Jenny - mama to