Author Topic: feel like I can't go on anymore - please help  (Read 19840 times)

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: feel like I can't go on anymore - please help
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2011, 12:01:09 pm »
Must get these drops. The reason I'm thinking it's secondary lactose intolerance is this:
"Because the enzyme lactase is produced in the very tips of the microscopic folds of the intestine, anything that damages the gut lining can cause secondary lactose intolerance. Even subtle damage to the gut may wipe off these tips and reduce the enzyme production, for example:
food intolerance or allergy. In breastfed babies, this can come from food proteins, such as in cows' milk, wheat, soy or egg, or possibly other food chemicals that enter breastmilk from the mother's diet, as well as from food the baby has eaten."
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2011, 12:11:34 pm »
Yep, to clarify my earlier post, secondary lactose intolerance is really common - the lactose overload from bteastmilk.  I was talking about the true lactose intolerance that you are born with that includes the lactease deficiency.

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2011, 12:39:21 pm »
Just got another terrible diorrrhea poo! Very mucousy, runny and green and frothy - that's why I think there are lactose issues here. How long do you think before the colief kicks in? Or is this still just a sign that whatever I'm eating is still upsetting her?

This is the probiotic I'm thinking about

http://www.solgar.co.uk/product/abc-dophilus-powder-children-and-infant-formula-175-oz-496g-E10.html

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2011, 12:40:27 pm »
But if the allergy destroyed all the good enzymes that dealt with lactoze, how is she gonna rebuild those? She has had this terrible diarrhoea for over a week now...

hrk

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2011, 12:42:32 pm »
Quote (selected)
I have actually been dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, citrus fruits and nuts free for 2 weeks now. (Milk and eggs for 4 weeks.)
 You would think things would be getting much better, and you would be seeing some improvement even over a week, if these were the issues.  

With reflux, it could be a *part* of the problem; not the whole problem.  With the hoarseness, coughing, congestion, I just wonder.  And of course, H was on 15 mg of prevacid (ppi) from 4/5-9 months.  The wakings were off the wall until we followed marci.  8-14 nwings with a 2 hr one while we were feeding at night.  :-(  All of this gone with a med adjustment.

Can you get to a gi or allergist?  As I said, I wish I had just made the apt and bypassed our pedi.  The gi was much better at being a problem solver and giving us options and next steps to try to solve the problem.  My hope is that some expert eyes can help.  I just don't want anything else to be overlooked.  

I know 4 weeks sounds like a lot of crying.  I completely understand what ever you decide on the bfing.  I couldn't hang in there after a month or so.   I did use thte Dr. Browns bottles; I found they were the best for H for gas.  In fact a lot of moms use those for their refluxy los.  I did use the bornfree bottles, too, but changed the inserts to dr. browns.

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2011, 13:16:26 pm »
Thank you so much, Jean for understanding how I feel. This diarrhoea is awful! And she is not getting any better. We can't get to a GI. Have a appt with the allergy nurses again on Monday afternoon. They will probably push the formula again. I booked a private pead but even that is a nearly month away! Not impressed with health care...

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2011, 13:17:15 pm »
More hugs - thanks for probiotic link - I bought something simliar for Murray ages ago as it said suitable for all ages, but contacted the manufacturer to be safe - they said it would be fine for infants but to check dose with doctor (which I never got round to so box still sitting unopened!!).  It does say infants and children on the link you gave but I may contact the manufacturer just to be 100% safe ...

Whatever you decide make sure you are happy with the decision as you don't want to regret anything, either way.  Remember it can take a couple of weeks to see results from cutting out foods.

I hope you are getting lots of IRL support and hugs too - it's been tough for you.  Poor Murray didn't get his intolerences picked up by us until he was fully weaned so your daughter is lucky to have such an observant, strong mum xxx
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2011, 13:26:07 pm »
I checked with macufacturer and it's okay for infants.
I really want to go on breastfeeding BUT not at all cost. Can't see her in so much pain all the time. It's cracking me up. Feel like I'm losing my mind. Could there be something seriously wrong with her?

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2011, 13:30:55 pm »
is the colief the lactease drops?  If so about 24 hours but you have to give before every feed
the gut will heal once offending foods are removed..

huge hugs this is so hard for you... ED's take alot of patience and are very hard on the whole family. Sigh.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:12:59 am by EloysH »

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2011, 15:07:19 pm »
Could there be something seriously wrong with her?
How much does she cry,etc? Whenever my LO is unwell (either or them) or I am stressed about their eating etc I put every cry down to this - at the moment with Oliver he is a bit mucousy but I am putting it down to him having a cold, etc - whereas a week ago as I was thinking of going dairy free I put every squeak down to my milk.  Now when he cries I think it is because of his cold.  And when he didn't have a cold I put the cries down to him being OT!

What I am trying to say is that I am wondering if you are looking too closely at every noise, wriggle, etc and putting it down to your milk?  Of course, it sounds like something is upsetting her but hopefully the bigger she gets the more she will tolerate everything. Babies do cry naturally so remember that not every noise is down to your milk.

Lots of hugs
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

hrk

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2011, 15:33:42 pm »
I do think Colic Solved would be worth a read while you are sorting things out.  Our library had it; I am in the US, though.  Definitely give those nurses a call.  I kept going back to the pediatrician almost every week.  Keep at it until you get some answers.  It lets them also know all the things you are trying to make things better.  And they can't give you the "new mom" routine that they gave me.  ;-)  You are a great mom trying everything.  I say if you are trying lots of interventions and things do not improve, then you are probably looking at some medical issue that isn't allowing those interventions to work.  The gi also wanted to test Heath for the H.ploryi bacteria; the clinic said they saw a rise in this testing, so I wonder if that is increasing in our area.  It was negative, btw.  It is hard to say and that is what expert eyes/experience is for.  And sometimes it is hard to find the right person who will take the time to really hear you out and examine/dig a bit deeper.

And with regards to the bfing, I don't know that I would be a bfer at all costs to me and my family.  I really do understand.  I don't eat meat (so going low sals would be about the end of me).  Going dairy/soy free on top of that; I don't know what I would be eating.  XXXXXXXXXX for all the decisions and struggle.

hrk

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2011, 15:58:58 pm »
I said "all costs" above with regards to not bfing, but I really mean I don't know that I would have bfed at a "high cost".  It really comes down to what is going to work for you/your family; your sanity and the health of your relationships in your family is very important, too.  Happy mom=happier baby/family, iykwim.

If you do want to do the ed, then figuring out ways to make it more manageable and with support is important.  Getting some medical person on board may help relieve you and help keep an eye on progress.  Eloys can speak for herself, but I think she does have a good support system to help manage this diet (ie dietician/help from a family member while she preps some meals).  Maybe she can mention how she manages it with both boys.  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 18:25:43 pm by Jean :-) »

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2011, 20:21:56 pm »
Hi, I'm back! Went to see a private paed today who thought that if there were true allergy issues or allergy issues only, I should have seen a huge improvement by now given how much I have eliminated. To him, Julia was baby in pain with reflux. He suggested mixing the Losec tablet with Carabel after it dissolved in water and giving it to her through a spoon. So here we are...

And I must say that the Colief is working! We had a better last couple of days. She is far from perfect but cries less and poos a lot less.

Eloise, have you eaten bananas on moderate level? Or is this something I should avoid? Also, is it possible that sal contents of fruit and veg are different depending where you are. Just saying because a dietitian gave me a list where asparagus adn carrots are moderate and parsnips are high. Would you mind sending me the link to buy the handbook?

hrk

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2011, 20:34:08 pm »
Soooooo glad that things are improving.  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  What a relief! 

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2011, 07:41:20 am »
Glad to hear a happy update, was wondering how you are getting on xxx