Author Topic: feel like I can't go on anymore - please help  (Read 19857 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: feel like I can't go on anymore - please help
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2011, 10:50:45 am »
Glad to hear something is sticking.   :)

Yes I think the sals contents can vary a little depending on where you are.  It is worth checking how often the charts have been updated.  

The charts I sent you by email do say the same as your dietician - carrots and asparagus are moderate.  Yes you can eat "just ripe" bannanas on a moderate level.  If they are ripe they are HIGH in amines.

Handbook:
http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/resources/foodintol/handbook.cfm

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:37:15 am by EloysH »

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2011, 07:10:16 am »
Well, the good effects of colief didn't last long... :(
I'm in pieces again because there was blood in poo again this morning. How can this be? My diet is so strict. I ate a banana yesterday but it wasn't too ripe. Could that have caused the blood? Does it matter if its colour is bright red or dark? Hers was a dark couple of wee spots. But still, if the allergy people were to see it, they would surely have said I have to stop breastfeeding now.

I was so glad after seeing the paed and him saying it's more of a silent relfux issue. He saw her dirty nappy too but didn't think it was too bad. But then again when I told him about the blood, he couldn't explain it.

DH says it could be from straining. She does strain when doing a poo and then it comes out of her bottom like an explosion.
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:17 am »
No advice I am afraid, just LOTS of hugs xxx
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2011, 10:45:09 am »
Hugs, so frustrating and gut wrenching isn't it  :-\

Reflux is cyclic runs of bad days and goods days will happen.  It is my understanding that blood is from a build up of offending foods.  Until your bubs symptoms get under control for a good few weeks (called reaching baseline) it will be very hard to detect which foods are causing what. Looking at what was eaten the day before (before a baseline is reached) will mostly contain red herrings.

Having said that... what have you been eating the past few days  ::)?   
Do the allergy people support ED's for breastfeeding mothers?

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2011, 11:22:23 am »
We don't really get good days, only bad ones and worse ones...

The allergy people are not great supporters of ED - their answer is Neocate and they make me feel as though I'm making my baby suffer by insisting on going on with bf.

My diet:

Breakfast: organic rice cereal with rice dream and rice bread with pure spread and a peeled pear
Lunch: Fried lamb or chicken with rice or potatoes and some vegetables e.g. cauliflower, peas, swede
Dinner: same as lunch
Drink: only purified water

I had a banana yesterday but don't normally do. I then saw a wee rash on her face and had a green poo nappy which I don't normally get now. It's dark yellow but very mucousy. Also, her stooling pattern has changed. It's "only" about 4-5 now instead of 8-10. She has had a better nap then usual this morning but it was probably just a fluke as since she woke she is as bad as ever. Doesn't stop crying and we can't put her down. She is usually happy for a short while after feeds but then starts grimacing in pain and crying soon after while pulling her legs up. It can mean either reflux or lactose intolerance - no idea which!!! She is also still terribly windy.

Her reflux med was upped from yesterday to 15mg/day.

Any ideas what's going on? Do you think I am making any progress? SO don't want to go on neocate...

Offline EloysH

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2011, 11:46:06 am »
Diet sounds pretty good.. although if you are following low chemical RPAH - the meats can;t be browned - better to lightly roast in oven or else crumb in rice crumbs and lightly fry or else steam, or fry in a bit of water so it doesn't go brown - ew!   You can make you own stock from a chicken carcass, or veal bones leeks, celery, swede, carrot and then use the stock for making sauces for your meats... although slow cooked meats are not allowed.  The browning of meat means - amines.  Bananna is amines, it could be that it tipped the amines scales the tip of the iceberg so to speak. Probably eat a bananna every second day if concerned.

Reduction in number of poos is always good.. the blood isn't good though but could still be left over from before you started the strict diet.

Cauliflower is high sals and amines so that's a no no... don't worry I made every mistake known to man when I started.  ::)

You can use gluten free flours without "maize flour" & egg replacer to make pancakes, they actually are ok tasting.

hrk

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:18 pm »
Dropping off loads of hugs for this news.  :-(  I hope the reflux part comes under control with the med increase.  As for the foods, it would take about 1-2 days for a food to show up in our case.  I think I read it can take up to three days in the failsafe stuff.  The cauliflower is a gassy food, too, right?  Figuring things out is so hard; sending loads of hugs.  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »
See, this is what I mean by different list. the dietitien gave me this list:

Sals negligible: all the ones that are allowed on the strict failsafe diet
Low: asparagus, beetroot, carrot, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, turnip, jacket potato
Moderate: tinned asparagus, mangetout, snow peas, pea sprouts, sweetborn, chiese veg, letuce, marrow, pumpskin, parsnip, new potatoes

I though cauliflower is low so it's okay.

The breast nurse told me to eat high in fat so my milk would have high fats rather than sugar. Gonna be hard if I can't fry meat... What else is high in amines?

I tried to order the book but the pdf international version link doesn't work...

Also, you know how they say that meat can't sit for long. What about fruit and veg? And cooked rice/potatoes?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:52:05 pm by bjutka1 »

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2011, 13:09:25 pm »
I would ask the allergy people point blank what their backup plan is if Neocate doesn't work.

I forget if coconut oil would be OK for cooking or even for eating off a spoon, or coconut milk.... I *think* I remember it being higher in sals, though, although not sure about amines. The oil might have different amounts than the coconut milk, though, and those fats are otherwise EXCELLENT for you! Other good fats would be flaxseed oil and fish oil.... I really should keep a sals and amines list handy here by the computer! :)

hrk

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2011, 13:41:00 pm »
Wether the cauliflower is high or low, I was still thinking it was a food that causes gas.  So it may not cause the stool issue, but it could be the gas issue?  I think deb is right that the coconut oil is high sals (I went all kinds of ways looking at making soap without it); that is a long other story for a different thread, lol.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2011, 20:48:27 pm »
crap.  That list is very different.  :-\  I would ask how old it is, and how long ago those foods were tested for sals contents....

Mushrooms are very high on my list,  onions are high for sure.  Do you have a scientific reference i.e the research paper it originated from? for the developement of her food list?   

You can mix oils into alot of your cooking and eat fatty fish like salmon.  Unfortunately whilst cocnut oil  is sooooo good for you Deb pointed out, its very high in sals  :-\

Offline EloysH

« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2011, 11:35:14 am »
Here is a link to a new sticky that will help you with all the resources for the diet.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189899.0

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2011, 10:07:06 am »
Thanks!

Was gonna write a really happy post saying that Julia is getting better but had a couple of really rough nights in a row.
The thing is that she IS better during the day. Not a massive improvement but definitely noticable. She cries less, has longer periods when she is settled and looks about. Only about 3-4 dirty nappies a day (as opposed to 8-10) and they are far less mucousy. She still cries after about 30-45 mins after a meal and then the cry turns into a tired cry and it's hard to know when she goes from painful to tired iykwim.

The last couple of nights, however, she was up every 2 hours or more!! It's usually wind that wakes her but then she needs to suck so she can pass the wind. I am so tired that I just let her feed and then go back to sleep. (she also sleeps beside me by now.) I am worried that all these bad habits will be a killer to break. Has anyone had experience with this? Also, why is she worse at night now that she is better during the day? Honestly, during days she cried all day, she had 5-6 hour streches at night...

Offline EloysH

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2011, 10:13:26 am »
When they are out of pain, the habits weren't too hard to break for both mine.      Although I left the last night feed waaaaayyyy too late and am only weaning it for good right now  ::)

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2011, 10:42:12 am »
I think I'm not sure whether it's always out of pain she wakes... Though she definitely always seems uncomfortable so probably yes. I just feel SOOOO tired, it's unreal.
You are weaning him now but at least he is not sleeping in your bed!! When he used to wake a lot at night, did you automatically feed him or tried to get him back in a different way first?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:53:50 am by bjutka1 »