Author Topic: Looking for support - toddler eating making me cry every day :-(  (Read 7008 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Looking for support - toddler eating making me cry every day :-(
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 21:27:49 pm »
I would yeah. You cant make 5 dishes!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 21:54:52 pm »
I don't do 5 dishes, no way, but I would also count everything in a pasta (spag bol is pasta & bolognaise = 3 things pasta/ tomato & meat) - they are the obvious things... but I would put cheese & lettuce & green beans on the plate too.  BUT when my children were 2yo they had pasta as one bowl & the sauce on the side & I knew that it was unlikely the sauce would get eaten if it had anything obvious in it rather than meat & tomato.  IMHO many children do better if they have their foods into seperate flavours, which is why I keep it simple they can mix their foods up if they choose but rather than put 5 veg in a pasta sauce I would keep it simple & just have the pasta, keep some meat aside (out of the sauce) if it wasn't bolgnaise & then put some veg on the side & then put a small spoonful of it the same as DH & I are having... so it could end up with 6 different parts of the food. So if they only ate the pasta & green beans that was ok, but there would be no more pasta unless 4 things were eaten & then it would be fruit for dessert, if the 4 things got eaten then it would be a more sugar laden dessert, depending what I had.
But I will be perfectly honest, with my 'selective eating' children (& myself as a child) 7yo has been the turning point to eating 'mixed' meals like casseroles & pasta dishes with multiple foods in them (still not there with the 6.5yo, but getting there) Before that we had much more success with food being single items, so a peice of of chicken, a potato, some green beans, some corn, some brussel sprouts, rather than a chicken casserole. The mixed food was always rejected when they were 2-4yo... which I think comes down to the greater sensitivity of taste buds, a piece of broccoli could overpower the dish for them so the whole dish would be rejected.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Annabelp

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 22:53:57 pm »
Just a bit of an update for all you girls that have really supported me on this:

I took on board that DS is probably hungry in the morning due to little or no dinner. So now in the morning before we go downstairs for breakfast I bring up his water and a small bowl of fruit to have while I give DD her bottle. This week he has eaten a whole banana, a whole apple and a pot of grapes this way. This makes me happy he has had 1 of the 5 a day before the day has really started.

I have then tried to get as many calories in him by lunchtime as I can. So after breakfast (which is often cereal then yoghurt and then toast or a crumpet with jam or peanut butter) I offered a snack at mid morning then lunch from his favourite lunch bag from about 11.30. So lunch has been really him looking in his bag and choosing what he wants and eating from this until about 1.00. This has been easy for me this week as we have been out and about and taking a range of foods to cover me as opposed to me just serving up a set sandwich and fruit at home and not giving him much choice in the matter. This has made me calmer and I have liked that he chose what he wanted which did include some sandwich and always fruit. So I think I will do this when we are just at home too.

This way he has had at least 3 and sometimes 5 of the 5 a day by lunch (admittedly though from fruit not veggies).

WHen he has woken from his afternoon nap I have offered a drink and maybe a piece of cheese. SOmething just to keep him going. But by this stage I know that even if he refuses all dinner he has had enough to eat in the day.

Dinner has been hit and miss but I have only offered what we have had as a family and not a seperate meal. He has only eaten the bits of the meal he knows (eg the yorkshire pudding and the cocktail sausages from a roast dinner/the garlic bread from the pasta dinner) but he hasn't cried about other things on his plate and I was calmer at dinner too.

One thing I did try last night is give him the salad in the form of a smiley face on his plate (he never eats salad!). Cucumber rounds for eyes, lettuce for hair etc. I then asked him as a game to show me where the eyes were and to pick them up and give them to mummy. I then told him what the food was called as he loves to learn new words at the moment. He didn't eat any of the new stuff but at least he showed an interest in it and touched it all. I think I will try this for a week and then progress onto seeing if he will lick the foods. I will also try to do the same foods next week as I have this week so they are all a little familiar.

A bit of success - he has been off eating grapes (a past favourite) for about a month but last night I made the mouth out of grapes. When I asked him to pass me one he picked one up and just put it in his mouth!!!! So maybe there is hope. Will see how we go in the next week.

Those of you in the UK, did you see the programme My CHild Won't Eat tonight? The toddler who would only eat yoghurt reminded me of my situation but I didn't find it explained how he came to try these things at nursery if all he was given to eat were his favourite foods? DS does go to a childminder 2 days a week and I have tried with giving him the same foods for lunch as his best friend there but no joy :-(

DS 3 years
DD 18 months

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2011, 23:27:02 pm »
Well that really sounds promising :) And what's really sounding good is that YOU sound positive about it too :D

It will come. We're still working on E also so you're definitely not alone.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2011, 23:56:12 pm »
Great update! and best thing is you sound calmer and more hopeful! He will pick up on it. What kind of kid in BW Types is your DS? I am thinking of it  as a clue for eating.
I think it is so personal and so deepends on a child and a parent and their lifestyle. See, I never make any sandwiches and always make soups, pastas, risottos, caseroles, etc. so splitting that into separate foods would be too bothersome for me. also nursery would not do separate food items except at dinner and I find my kids always eat better if things are in a warm sauce, so often it is the dinner that is not eaten. I did a buffet once last weekend on a whim to use all the fridge food in mini dishes and overall it worked but DS tried only a few things. he ate the hard boiled egg with mayo in a shape of a mouse and some bread and corn. Stil egg and corn were new foods! Clearly I won't be doing that much effort every day. But it is great that it worked that time and that it works for others. I can always add the corn on a side as otehrs have suggested. However I did Find that in my case exposure is key. Say a week ago he refused corn. Then I mashed it so to remove all the husks from corn kernels and put it into risotto. He did not eat much of it. Then when I was away he ate it with DH. Next thing I know he wants to eat the cooked kernels and eats all of them but does not touch the other stuff on his plate. So i figure it will come. Last 2 weeks he did not eat much noodles at home or nursery and fish was tricky. Today he ate tuna noodles there. Go figure! Equally mash potatoes, spaggetti, pasta, noodles can all be rejected at home. Some days he rejected even bananas and dry fruit. Since I can't pick a pattern I think it is either the exposure to new or the change in appetitie due to some bugs, energy levels, feeling sleepy, starting nursery full time, who knows. looking at DD I know that kids go through fads, change of tastes, not eating foods if it has offensive item in it (e.g. It has a hint of green because of parsley), not eating food if one of the items looks weird (steamed bits of spinach) and so on. These days DD eats pretty much most things. However it took about a year to accept broccoli, maybe half a year for pumpkin, and she will still pick out spinach. It seems to me that picky eating maybe in the family. I guess it means they will be good cooks one day. Pity that it means Some of my cooking goes to the bin, but oh well. Speaking of Ellyn Satter, I found a reference to her in Raising Your Spirited Child chapter on fussy eating. A great resource book for many of my struggles.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 23:58:23 pm by katyusha »

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:24 am »
Great update!

Offline Annabelp

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 08:51:03 am »
He was a textbook child. Developmentally everything bang on time. You could (and still can) set your watch by his nap times. Don't think that matches his eating now! DD is 100% spirited and is already eating like a horse at 5 months!
DS 3 years
DD 18 months

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2011, 13:28:15 pm »
Annabelp - so pleased to hear you sounding more positive about things :)  Hope things continue to improve for you.

It was a couple of months since I watched that documentary but I think the impression I got was that one of the (possible) reasons why that toddler ate more at nursery was that there was less pressure than at home - I think there was less coaxing and he was left to it a bit more.  I might be wrong though..
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 20:10:33 pm »
peer pressure plays a big big part in why children eat at nursery, they see what others are doing & so they do the same, it is as much about if every one thinks it is ok then it should be & also that the routine there is the routine.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline katyusha

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2011, 15:21:03 pm »
Also there is not much else to do at meal times, since no one really pays that much attention if the child spreads his sauce on a table and chucks his spoon out. I read somewhere that you put the food and eat your own not looking at the plate of your kid and he may decide to eat just out of curiosity. Equally they get more tired at nursery. Ours seems to be trying new things but appetite is sporadic. Still, part of being a toddler I guess.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2011, 15:24:06 pm »
For me the 5 things would be all the componets so if it were spag bol for example....the pasta would be 1, bolonese sauce 2, garlic bread 3, grated cheese 4, some type of veg 5.....but I wouldn't count the sauce which has tomato, mince, onion, carrot as 4 things IYSWIM? 

Offline katyusha

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2011, 23:20:32 pm »
Thanks for the clarification!  Have to say the more I care the less it goes, so decided to make less effort (counterintuitive, I know). Today I gave him pasta, corn, hard boiled egg with mayo, cucumber wedges and some pack choi all separately. DH was feeding him. he had a go at 1/4 egg, 2 baby spoons of pasta decided he liked to take his corn himself, nibbled on cucumber, made a great mess, refused all spoons, and finished off by chucking pretty much everything on a floor. Then we had desert and I gave him 2 figs all eaten and 1/2 of 1 dairy free biscuit. But at lunch he ate lots of pita bread with hummus and felafels and 1/2 of dairy free biscuit. So maybe he was full by dinner? Having to adjust for # of portions of fish a week, no dairy, no soy, no seafood and trying not to overdo lentils but still being mostly vegetarian is hard. Bring on the jars for the meat eaters, I say!

Annabel, your DS is proabbly still a 'textbook' child! Toddlers do go through phases and these are described in 'Textbooks'. How old is he? How are things going now? So many things can affect their appetite. My moan above is just an example, but I think my Misha is younger. I am sure your DS appetite will return soon!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 23:27:17 pm by katyusha »

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2011, 02:24:19 am »
Also it is important to note what they eat over a day & a week, they don't have the same appetite each meal or even each day & realisitically the size of the stomach, should be the size of a person's fist, so when you look at what htey eat really for a 2yo a 1/2cup of food is a BIG meal.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline katyusha

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2011, 23:43:15 pm »
Thank you all! I really taken this idea of looking over a day or few days rather than focussing on each meal. Makes things seem better.