Author Topic: Talk to me... *Day 4 of Alimentum, pics on p5*  (Read 21754 times)

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
Re: Talk to me about rice allergy?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 15:34:04 pm »
Hi hun.  I personally would use the fact that she is getting better as the proof and not subject her body to the offending item again just to see it she gets sick again.  But that's me. 

You are such a great mom, and so smart!  Good job Amy :-*

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 17:20:24 pm »
Great that you are so positive!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 19:39:26 pm »
I personally would use the fact that she is getting better as the proof and not subject her body to the offending item again just to see it she gets sick again.  But that's me.

I totally understand your point Zoey, but reintroduction is the only way to be certain that this is what is causing the issues for Anna.  Once it's confirmed, Amy can go forward knowing exactly what to watch out for and not just have a list of suspect items.  Rice is one that is in so many things that it would be prudent to know if it is the offender.

In fact, for reintro, I would just give Anna plain white rice to avoid any cross contamination issues...

Great news Amy!  Momma always knows her LO the best ;)

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 21:08:37 pm »
So great that you've had an improvement. I know the feeling of having found the 'holy grail'! - marvellous!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 22:34:47 pm »
No offence to Drs but they are only as good as the information they learnt & they believe in & at the end of the day some Drs don't get it "right". We once had a trainee GP at out practice (sadly he moved to the country to practice as there was a $$ incentive to get Drs out there, even though the head of our practice tried really hard to keep him) One time I saw him about DS1 & something &  his comment was "the textbooks would say this & you are thinking that... I'll go with Mother instinct because you are with him 24/7... the textbook isn't"... we were right. He actually said to me (because we got chatting about Immunology which is what I'm qualified in) "trust yourself over the Dr & if your gut tells you to do something do... push the Drs to think your way too" 

It isn't you that is the Moron, but the Dr for being too "textbook".
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 02:42:45 am »
Thanks for sharing in my pride, ladies. :)

DH is very against giving her a lot of anything that we think she would struggle with, at least for a good while. I can totally see his point and might try just a bit of rice mixed with other food that we know is ok in a month or two, when her body has healed up and cleared out a bit. All it would take is the return of gross poop or her rash to confirm it, but I am already feeling pretty confident.

One thing I am having trouble learning about is if she does have a rice intolerance (I don't think it's an actualy allergy, because she isn't vomitting), are there other foods to avoid? Some sites say no, and others say that we should avoid several things including chicken and soe fruits/veggies. Anyone?
Amy

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 06:12:24 am »
might try just a bit of rice mixed with other food that we know is ok in a month or two, when her body has healed up and cleared out a bit.
That sounds like a good idea and what I'd do too.

I would just be trying all foods quite slowly and methodically so you know what she's good with. It's such a pain to try and figure out patterns when you've introduced too many things and are trying to figure out/guess what's what.
Jenny - mama to

binxyboo

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 07:56:36 am »
Wow, so glad you may have finally found your answer!!

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 13:25:37 pm »
Bah and Arg and . This morning her poops are back to green and her eczema is a bit worse again. Yesterday she had applesauce and apricots, oatmeal cereal, yogurt, and green beans. Oh, and a Farley's teething biscuit. Nothing with rice. :( So it's either rice and something else, or just something else.

Back to feeling frustrated and overwhelmed. This is never ending.

I guess we'll trial dairy free next; maybe it is the milk after all. It is the most obvious one, so I probably should have started there.
Amy

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 13:31:45 pm »
But if it is milk, why did things get better for those few days?? ???
Amy

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 14:21:53 pm »
Read the ingrediants on the back.  The website says they have rice flour in them.  Heinz Farley's Teething Biscuits: Flours (Wheat, Rice), Potato Starch, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Wheat Starch, Barley Malt Extract, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavouring, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Raising Agent (Ammonium Carbonates, Sodium Bicarbonate), Niacin, Iron, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin A, Vitamin D

Maybe?

:-*

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 14:29:25 pm »
I read the back of everything now, just to be sure... I was surprised that even jarred food like creamed corn has rice in it. Good thing I make most of her food!

Ok, here is what our box says: enriched wheat flour, maize flour, sugar, palm oil, dextrose, ammonium carbonates, calcium carbonate, monoglycerides, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine hydrochloride (Vit B1), riboflavin (Vit B2). Ther eis a warning that the equipment also processes products that contain milk, so not to give them to babies with cow's milk allergies.
Amy

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 14:39:07 pm »
Hmmmm!

You're right about her getting better for a while, then this cookie and now she is taking a step backwards.  If this were me, I'd omit anything in a package for a week or two.  Give fruits, veggies, simple meats/beans (pure, nothing added) for a week (with her bm/formula of course).  See how she does like that for a while.  Keep a diary of everything you feed, rough times, and times of any reactions she may have.  If it is bmilk/formula it will become apparent I would think.  Then slowly add yogurt and watch, etc etc.

I didn't read all the way though again but, did you ask for the DR to test her stool for blood?  I think I remember parasites etc but I don't remember if they did blood.

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 15:44:56 pm »
Yes, I took stool samples for 2 days and they are checking for blood, mucus, parasites, and bacteria. Our dr still doesn't think it is an intolerance, so I would still be at square one and on my own with this if the samples come back negative for everything. Maybe he would be more open to discussing intorlerances in that case, though; he certainly hasn't been so far.

That's what I am thinking, too: nothing in a package. Makes life a bit more difficult, but oh well.
Amy

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 16:34:06 pm »
Amy, hugs!  Anna has eczema and the doc doesn't think it is intolerance or allergies???  i didn't have typical allergy symptoms and couldn't get referred to an allergist!!  it just sounds so wrong!  is it possible to change doc?