Author Topic: Talk to me... *Day 4 of Alimentum, pics on p5*  (Read 21760 times)

Offline teilvnav

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 90
Re: Talk to me about rice allergy?
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2012, 21:59:01 pm »
That was basically what DH told me when we talked about our argument later... he is concerned that my 'obsession' over Anna's issues bother me so much. I am going to try to relax a bit and just take a step back. I do get worked up. :) It's just hard when she's my baby girl... I am sure you guys understand.

Her forehead rash is going away. Now, I am not getting worked up because on the first few days of the rice trial it also got better before quickly going back to being cracked and scaley. But... we'll see!
Amy

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 00:56:08 am »
Fingers crossed Amy! Yes, it isn't cheap that's for sure ::)

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2012, 02:30:33 am »
Your DH sounds like mine was. Hugs for that - it's harder than the issues with your baby I reckon. J is now 26 months and our intolerance days are behind us but I still feel the emotional scarring of him not supporting me with what I KNEW by gut instinct was going on with him.
Jenny - mama to

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 03:20:41 am »
It's just hard when she's my baby girl... I am sure you guys understand.

10000% hun.

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2012, 12:12:45 pm »
That was basically what DH told me when we talked about our argument later... he is concerned that my 'obsession' over Anna's issues bother me so much. I am going to try to relax a bit and just take a step back. I do get worked up. :) It's just hard when she's my baby girl... I am sure you guys understand.

Her forehead rash is going away. Now, I am not getting worked up because on the first few days of the rice trial it also got better before quickly going back to being cracked and scaley. But... we'll see!

:-*

Try to keep up with the food dairy if possible.

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 06:12:25 am »
How are things going?
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 13:53:37 pm »
How are things going?
Kinda meh. Her poop was almost black this morning, which startled me. Is that the formula?? She is taking it more easily now, which is great. She struggled with it at first (it does smell horrid) so we had to go skin to skin with lots of singing and eye contact. Her forehead has cleared up a bit but this morning it is kinda scaley again. Not like before, though; it has gotten a lot smoother (was raised and quite thick/rough a few days ago) but this morning it looks like there is dried skin bits. She is doing great having just steamed fruit and veg for finger foods, and today we are going to try pasta.

I still can't get over the cost. I know I keep going on about this, but my goodness... we have gone through $32 worth of formula in the last 4 days. :o I had been saving my pennies for a woven wrap but now that money will have to go to special formula. I know it is selfish, but it is making me upset.

Here is her forehead from last week (with a pink hat on) and from last night (having a bottle), for comparison:
Amy

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 13:55:44 pm »
Hmm... I was doubting whether there is any improvement, but there really is, isn't there! In both pictures you can see where she has scratched herself bloody; in the one from last night it is healing and she hasn't done it since the day we started the Alimentum.
Amy

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
Re: Talk to me... *Day 4 of Alimentum, pics on p5*
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 13:58:36 pm »
It looks so much better Amy! I know to cost of the formula is insane isn't it?  ((((hugs))))

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 13:58:42 pm »
It has definitely calmed down a lot!  And how beautiful is she!!!  Hope it continues to go well!!

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2012, 14:12:20 pm »
Amy I agree there is definitely some improvement :)

About the cost, I know it's different in Ontario but any chance it oculd be covered by insurance? Here in Quebec it is covered at 68% regardless of whether we have private insurance or if we're insured with the government (mandatory if we don't have private insurance). But I know it's different in Ontario, someone else on these boards was on Neocate and their private insurance wouldn't cover it, but just in case, you should definitely check.
Elise

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2012, 14:45:29 pm »
Definitely look into your insurance's provision for Special formula.  Most often you will need a letter of medical need to prove she needs it, so keep really great records for your DR (cause he seems like he isnt very encouraging about this?).  I know nothing about Canada's system but I do have some experience in this area, so let me know if I can help.

And YES, I totally see improvement!! 

Black (if you smear it, it may actually be very dark green) seems fairly common with hydrolyzed formulas.

HUGS on the cost, it is ridiculous and it is a lot.  You can write the company and ask for coupons and samples.  Also, some people check Ebay for formulas and they can get them at a reduced price.

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2012, 14:46:09 pm »
OH and PS, she is a DOLL!  :)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2012, 14:50:16 pm »
First of all I want to come give her a cuddle :) How cute is she?

I do think it's better. I know the price is ridiculous though. Any chance of ordering it from the States?

I think where it's been four days and you've seen some improvement in that says something and I'm really curious how she's going to be after ten days when the milk proteins from her other formula are out of her system (I do still think this is mpi). Don't forget as she starts eating more solids her bottles will be less and this will all be a bit less ridiculous financially. It angers me so much that not all provinces treat this the same. You have to pay out of pocket here in BC but NB it was free. Friends of mine were in Petawawa and their son was on Alimentum and they had it covered by Sunlife. Not sure what you have if any extra insurance but worth looking into.

Hugs for the cost.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2012, 16:56:48 pm »
We don't have any insurance. None. We pay for DH's medications, any prescriptions, etc out of pocket. His job is contract to contract and it just doesn't offer insurance coverage. DH is actually up for a 2 yr job right now that would have insurance, so if he gets that then we will be golden. He has had the interview and just found out that they are checking his references so that is positive. If he doesn't get it then we may have to look at doing something privately.

I will look on eBay and look into asking for samples/coupons, too. Honestly, we will pay for it somehow if it is what she needs... it is just sticker shock! And I *really* wanted that wrap. :( Oh well, what can ya do. If he does get that job, then I can still get it!
Amy