Author Topic: Ideas for good imaginative play idea websites?  (Read 9020 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Ideas for good imaginative play idea websites?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 13:10:56 pm »
That invitation to play idea is great.

L is really into 'sticking' at the moment.  She'll stick on anything - old cereal box, toilet roll, anything, you name it.  And I just cut up pics from junk mail/magazines/catalogues/greeting cards for her to stick.  She LOVES it.  And it's completely different each time cos she has different things to stick, and a different thing to stick on to.  The only thing I had to buy for this was a pritt stick.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 17:46:51 pm »
well total disaster with H...ha I should have known ;)
was kind of interested for about 5 mins tops, I then tried to join in but no, he is such a hard one to entertain.
Ah well, maybe M will be more into it in the future. x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 19:58:25 pm »
I really liked the philosophy on the above websites about the toys she calls 'SCLANS' toys focussing on shapes, colours, letters and numbers- I HATE these for babies!! being exposed to text is one thing- but they really don't need the alphabet for AGES!!
Each to their own, I have to disagree.  These type of toys have been DS's favourite things.
His shape sorter, fine motor skills, each shape had a different colour and he had a certain order he would put them in the sorter too.  Funnily enough purple was always first and he can now say purple very clearly.  I'm not saying he learned the word from that shape sorter but somewhere along the line purple (and pink) have been a big hit with him.
One of his fav fav things ever is flash cards.  We don't have any which are just words and I don't sit infront of him firing words like 'mozart' at him whilst he gazes on dumbfounded.  All his flash cards had words an pictures, so almost like a book but every page being separate.  He utterly loves them and will ask for them to be brought out over and over and over.  Some are thin card, some thick, some paper.  Some sets have a ring loop through one corner (which my mum did) to keep them together so they can be flipped over, some sets are loose and he takes each one and tosses them to the ground after you say the word.  His choice.  Again it develops fine motor skill and isn't totally focused on learning the words.  A lot of it is enjoyment of looking at the pictures and asking what they are.
Another of his fav fav things ever is books, from when he was a tiny baby.  If I hadn't given him so many books I swear he would have thought he was deprived.
He had large plastic letters from about 6 months (or younger perhaps but I can only remember them once he was sitting up) which he would insist you told him what the letters were, although mostly he used them to fill and dump and one in particular he used as a teether when he was cutting teeth.  At around 9 or 10 months he could pick out the letter which is his name initial and would collect all of them and repeat the name of the latter over and over.  He just has so much fun with them.
Foam letters that stick to the side of the bath I got when he was 12 months.  I only put in the letters of his name, later on I added numbers 1 - 5, later 6 - 10 and a couple more letters to make a new word.  He can identify them all now and loves to.  it isn't about trying to make him clever or advanced or anything (I certainly don't think he is advanced or gifted, just a regular kid and that's fine with me), it's purely for fun.
Magentic letters and number on our fridge I've kept really high up out of his reach for fear of one of the magnets falling out and him choking on it...but recently he is demanding to play with them.  I just give him a limited number and only when I am around as I still worry about the magnets!  But he gets SUCH a thrill from knowing the letters, and numbers and positioning them in different ways on the fridge too.  Obviously learning about magnetic attraction at the same time, but it's the numbers and letters that attract him.
TBH I don't know how he would manage to fill his day if he didn't have these books, letters, numbers, colours, flash cards etc  although I really am against forcing education onto LOs, I believe play and natural learning through play are the way to go.

So...anyway...
I've rotated for a long while but rotate a lot less these days.  Recently I've found less need to rotate although I do still do it with certain things.
I used to rotate the shape sorter, and two other fine motor activity toys but eventually when they came out he would be joyous for about 30 seconds then bored, so those toys have been passed on to another family.
I also used to rotate the soft toys but eventually he didn't bat an eye at seeing one he hadn't seen in a while so I just reduced them down and leave them in his play pen (prob more to make it look cosy rather than actual play things!).
He has two ride-ons and they get rotated.
I rotate the books and toys by his potties every 2-4  days depending how much attention he is giving them.
The rest of his books I've always rotated.  Other wise he gets overwhelmed and just tosses them all out of the book box onto the floor wanting to read all of them but never choosing.  I rotate based on which ones he hasn't read in a while and move them to storage and pick out some replacements that he hasn't see for a while.  He also always has a couple of new ones on the go as it takes him a while to become familiar with them and able to read the whole way through.  Just recently I've started to put a book in his cot after he is asleep at BT so he has something to read when he wakes in the morning.  I change this daily.
BUT like I say there is less rotation now than there used to be.  I never take his basket of musical instruments away, he plays with it daily and I'd miss it if it wasn't here.

I don't keep art materials out for him to access the way she does on that site, but her children are much older.  I have a walk in store in the living room where I keep the arts and crafts things, home made play doh (which he isn't interested in), paints, pens, crayons, printing blocks and ink pads etc, stickers, coloured paper and card.  Initially I introduced them as an activity, just 5 or 10 mins max, one colouring item and one piece of paper, but now he wants to choose which sort of arts to do.  I have to show him each of the containers to see which he rejects and which he accepts and the one he chooses he takes to the table.
I have a set of those blank cards (pre-folded) with envelopes (from craft shops for home made cards) and some other coloured card which folds in half nicely to make A6 size cards and I often get one or two out to use for his arts activity.  LOs will paint and draw on any old paper cheap, newsprint, sugar paper whatever, but I really like to have some 'nice' quality paper and card for his creations.  He gets free reign as to what goes on the card etc and I store them in a file box ready to send out to friends and relations for birthdays, get wells, happy new homes etc.

So, here is a site I came across today.  It's actually been put together for sensory processing disorder, but it has some great activity ideas, they are not all imaginative play ideas, but still good to refer to when trying to entertain LO.
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/gross-motor-activities-for-toddlers.html

This one is lovely for imaginative play although DS isn't ready for this kind of level of yet, I kep it bookmarked for future ref.
http://mysmallpotatoes.com/2011/11/17/building-a-world-in-a-box/

And this one...well I wish she had been my mum, her activities just look so inviting
https://happyhooligans.wordpress.com/

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 07:19:11 am »
I agree with creations that if LO enjoys it then I can't see any problem/harm in letting them play with (potentially) more 'educational' toys that are poss more aimed at older LOs. They just find a new/different way to play with it that is appropriate to their age/abilities.

Eg L loves puzzles. For her 1st birthday she got given one with all the letters of the alphabet. I kept it away for a while cos I thought it was too tricky at 1 (and she had plenty of other new things to amuse her) but now she loves it - it's one of her favourite puzzles. She likes giving people their letter eg she gives me M for mummy, Grandma gets G. daddy gets D, and she gets L. She also knows a fair few other letters now, and says one or two words that start with that letter, and recognises them when she sees them in other places too. However, we haven't forced/actively tried to 'teach' her this at all. I know this cos I remember how amazed I was the first time she started telling me what some of the letters were and what they stood for. I had never tried to teach her this. But she's asks for it and finds it fun :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:25:52 am by cathn »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18:21 am »
Yes, I agree it's all about how you use them. F has books about shapes and colours and knows all of them. Her first (and definite favourite) colour was purple too Creations! Pink is a close second, and the colour of the week this week is blue - she's pointing it out everywhere.  At lunch today she pointed out that her cucumber pieces were circles, then bit a piece out of one to make a moon, and tried to put two together to make a heart! But she wouldn't have thought to do any of that if she didn't have a shape book :) 
*Nuala*

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 09:02:31 am »
I am really into the toy rotation....I already have toys pretty well organised in baskets etc and I am def a minimalist but we do have too much to hand I think, particularly for M. I am going to organise it all this weekend and start rotating. It is harder with 2 as you need things for both of them but I will just have to do some clever thinking. I notice that M rarely settles to something and probably because there is too much choice. Yesterday in the garden she spent ages with a toilet roll putting stones into the middle of it.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 09:08:01 am »
They just find a new/different way to play with it that is appropriate to their age/abilities.
For sure.  DS's foam letters in the bath are as much about seeing how they float, how he can stuff them under his willy (boys hey!) to stop them floating, how they stick to the bath, and his tummy...and trying to reach for them when I stick them on his back out of reach (naughty mummy teasing him!).  But they are far more interesting to have the variety of shapes and colours rather than 'just' pieces of foam.

On the other hand, DS has a bus, one of those all singing all dancing things with all the letters of the alphabet which can be pressed, and number 1 - 10.  It has different settings, phonics which speaks the letters out, a quiz to find letters, numbers and shapes etc.  I wouldn't have it if it ONLY did this but one of the settings is music and just plays a different nursery rhyme tune for each letter so it has nothing to do with letters and numbers.  He's had it for over a year and we don't focus on the numbers and letters at all, but he LOVES pressing them to make music and have a dance.

Pink is a close second, and the colour of the week this week is blue
I often think pink is DS's fav colour, although he has learned to say purple first, not sure if it is a colour pref or easier to say (he also says bubbles which is very similar mouth shapes).  He says blue and has a similar shapes book and can identify the shapes but is no where near as far along as F.  I think F is quite advanced isn't she?  DP and I wink at each other and say 'yes very advanced' when DS is whizzing around in circles on the slippery wooden floor, or banging his head against the door :)

toys that are poss more aimed at older LOs.
I find toys are aged very oddly.  All of DS's board books say age 3 and he's had them since he was born.  I check out toys and books myself to decide if they are suitable rather than go by ages.  Everything he's ever played with are supposed to be for much older kids but like you say there are other ways to play with them.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 11:09:35 am »
yeah- some of the ages are based more on if they'll eat the pieces rather than if they can do the activities...

With the rotation- should i keep the duplo out all the time?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 11:10:41 am »
I know.. that's really specific... ::)

Perhaps i can list all of my toys and you can tell me how i should group them! ::)

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline koe2moe

• Battle on the chess board
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 11:16:02 am »
I agree that sometimes the age indicator is more liabilities/disclaimer for the manufacturer!  DS still likes some of his baby books as he can understand so much more from them and soon he will be able to read them himself. 

Some of his favourite toys are still baby toys.  It is incredible how indestructible these baby toys are!  DS never likes shapes sorter.  He used to loathe puzzles but now he loves them.  They really change so much so fast!  He did say very clearly that he didn't want a doll, though.  When he plays parents and baby, he is the daddy and his best gf is always the baby because she wants to be the baby :)   

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 11:22:02 am »
I notice that M rarely settles to something and probably because there is too much choice.
That's when I started rotating.  DS would pull everything out and play with nothing, way way too much stuff around him.  he does so much better with a limit (although it's still a lot tbh).

With the rotation- should i keep the duplo out all the time?
I started out rotating the mega blox (which we got at 11/12 months) but now I leave a pretty decent amount out.  I do it in two separate boxes.  One smaller basket which has a smallish number of blocks and interesting shapes (windows, flag poles and people) which is played with every day and a much larger box (which is a lidded seat box) with lots in, this one he sometimes opens up and plays with and sometimes not.  Sometimes it's me that gets this out to build a garage, train tunnel or farm yard to use as an invitation to play and set it up with animals/cars etc.  I have a massive bag full that is permanently away until he is older as we have so much of it.

We also have (much to my disappointment at the time) a box of duplo.  My mum decided to completely ignore our choice of mega blox over duplo and went ahead and got some.  I can't bare stuff that won't build on other stuff, it is frustrating enough for DS when things will fit but he just isn't doing it right never mind the added frustration of stuff that just doesn't work together!  Anyhow, I did find a use for the duplo, it gets rotated as a potty toy so stays separate from the mega blox.
I find duplo a bit 'hard' for a little one but it's personal choice.  I'm sure we will move to it eventually.

Don't know if that helps though Katy.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:25 am »
yeah that's great! Hamish doesn't mind the duplo- he just takes it apart mainly (much to DH's frustration 'He keeps ruining my creations!! ::) ) but has started putting it together. DH is a MAD KEEN lego man, so we've gone the duplo line. You would want all the same thing though- so if you had mega blocks- you would want more mega blocks!!

Hamish has stopped playing with a lot of his toys which is why i'm going to rotate (i've worked every day since i started this thread- so no amazing rotating system has been developed!) - already by putting them away and thinning them out he's sort of now able to 'see' his toys better...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 11:59:16 am »
Katy, I don't think you need an amazing system, some times the planning of such things is enough to put us (I mean me) off.  Once the excess toys are out of the way you can just rotate based on what you see he has stopped playing with.  So for us if he stops playing with the musical pull along duck I swap it for the musical bus.  This would usually instigate other bits being rotated too but personally I don't think it needs to be the whole lot or in any particularly well planned way.
Our stored toys need tidying up.  I have them in a mixture of toy baskets and a big box (which his armchair came in - really handy box!) but really need to get some book shelves and other storage going to tidy it all up.  Toys have taken over the guest room even with thinning them down to what is totally necessary to keep.  Mind you he has a doll house and some other stuff up there that he has never yet seen as I don't think he is ready for them.  The toy boxes in our living room and kitchen (where he plays) are really neat and easy to keep track of, but the stored toys are a nightmare atm.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 12:09:59 pm »
oh- and i HATE dolls (in that I- the person/child hates dolls- it's not a principle, it's a preference) and thought that the humanoid toys hamish had were enough to fit the bill- ernie and grover and such... Until hamish saw his cousin's many baby dolls in their little baby doll bed- Oh he thought they were GREAT!! 'Baby! Baby!' He kept saying- and was trying to touch their faces!! ::) So it looks like i may have to eventually buy him a doll...

And- I loved the websites creations!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 14:06:03 pm »
I have a question ladies.....so obviously I have 2 kids and I want to do the toy rotation but it is harder with 2 for obvious reasons. Do I just do M's and then let H have access to what he wants??? Or do I do both and make sure I rotate every week because for sure H will want the one machine I have put away...if I just do hers then there is still a lot of stuff that she will play with which is pretty inappropriate age wise. I do put some of his stuff on the higher shelves but still??? How would you organise it?