Author Topic: Ideas for good imaginative play idea websites?  (Read 9013 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Ideas for good imaginative play idea websites?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 22:37:47 pm »
hmm- interesting thoughts- In that ont of the main reasons that i am looking to rotate is so that hamish has new things, and doesn't get overwelmed with too many things.. but that is a challenge with 2 'lots' of toys... I guess though if H's toys are always there she'll get bored of them?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 06:21:17 am »
I wrote a huge reply on this last night and lost it all before I could post  >:(  But basically...

I think I would try to rotate both Becky, but don't really have any bright ideas about how to go about it, except different shelves as you say. Do they tend to share the same play space? Can H have a few things that are only brought out when M is napping?

I was also wondering what to do if LO asks for something that is not is rotation. Do you bring it out, or say it's not available for play today? And if you do bring it out, is it just for that hour or so and then it goes away, or do you leave it out and maybe put something else away? I don't want to deny F things that she is genuinely going to play with and enjoy, but neither do I want to fall into the trap of bringing things into circulation again one by one until everything's there and it defeats the whole idea... I can see this happening especially with books, as F is used to requesting the one she wants without necessarily seeing it. So if she asks for one, she'll be confused if it's not there. I did put away all but 12 of our books yesterday as an experiment, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it up. I already caved yesterday and gave her the book she asked for at naptime, which happened to be one I'd put away, as she was pretty OT and scratchy already and I really didn't want a meltdown :P  I'll try to stick with it for a few days and see how it goes.

I did a sort of invitation to play for F yesterday - I set up a muffin tin with a small object in each hole, each covered by a piece of masking tape. A couple of the items fit together, some were texture things, and two were snacks (a rambutan and an oatie flapjack). I just left it on F's play table after her nap. She ignored it for a while, then got interested...and once she figured out there were things "hiding", she was super keen. She was so delighted at the rambutan and came running over to show me where she found it! And to get me to peel it ;) It occupied her for about 20 mins or so, which is 10 mins longer than it took me to set up so I was pretty happy with that.

I liked those websites too, Creations. I found it interesting that some of the activities for gross motor skills are just what going for a walk here is like - there isn't really an option of walking on smooth ground, and obstacles are a given etc. I imagine it's similar for children who live in a rural setting.

Oh, and I don't know if F is advanced - we wonder, but don't have anything to compare her to, yk? She's certainly a great communicator for her age and seems to remember things very well, but I'm sure there are other areas where other kids are ahead of her. I'm always impressed with how well your LO seems to do independent play, and his table skills, for example. And F also bangs her head against the wall ;)
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 10:59:55 am »
I would THINK that part of the reason you are rotating is not to overwhelm them, and so that they play 'well' with their toys. So currently hamish doesn't really play with some toys as he's possibly bored.. he just doesn't see them. SO- if he was to ASK for something.. then i would think that was ok- as he'd then be interested in it... and play with it. Does that make sense? It seems odd to say 'you can't play with that today'... Perhaps if you are finding you have a bunch of toys out and she's asking for something else that the mix of toys you have out isn't right? IYKWIM? OR that the item she is asking for is a real favourite. I think one of the above websites talks about not including FAVOURITES in the rotated toys... keeping them out to play with.

And F also bangs her head against the wall

LOL!!

And i've just started reading the BW for toddler book- and i;m in the middle of the chapter talking about not comparing children, or forcing them to do things before they are ready ::) It's like she has a camera into my house ::)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 19:55:13 pm »
Can H have a few things that are only brought out when M is napping?
I think this is a lovely idea for an older child and makes the toy seem special and 'theirs'.  When there is more than one child although they have their own toys they are also expected to share everything (or a lot) , the older child in particular probably hears so often that they need to be nice to the younger and share all their toys etc (I don't mean this offensively Becky, I have no idea what you say to your children, I'm just going on observation of other families that this seems quite normal).
It reminds me of Tracy's suggestions for play dates or parent run play groups.  The toys which are left out for play must be shared with the visiting child, therefore any toys the 'at home' child is not willing to share or would not like someone else touching etc must be discussed with the child who owns the toys and those items put away safely.  It gives them a sense of importance as a person and respects their feelings, rather than just saying 'well you have to share with your play date'.

I was also wondering what to do if LO asks for something that is not is rotation.
I would give it.  I believe in child-centred learning and therefore they get to choose what they play with.  Like Katy says removing some toys is about keeping things interesting and fresh and reducing that overwhelming feeling by having too much stuff.  If they were denied a toy that they requested simply because it isn't on rotation this is like punishment, the toys are being confiscated, they are just being put away.  So, if they can ask for it I think they should get it.
Times when I would break from this 'rule' are things like an electronic game or computer game if I have set a max amount of play time on it per day/week (we don't have such things yet), and arts and crafts activities, cooking, messy play if there is a reasonable reason that now would not be a good time to do those things, ie if you have a play group to attend and have to leave the house in 15 mins then getting covered in water/sand/paint etc isn't a a good idea.  Equally preparing something for baking and not having time to bake it etc.

If F is good with books then I'd leave them all out, if you don't want to then I'd certainly let her have what she requested to read.  DS still gets overwhelmed by too many books, we currently have 20 out in the living room (plus 2 magazines), another 4 in the bathroom and 1 or 2 per night into his cot plus about 5 sets of flash cards which are kind of like having books.  It's still quite a lot of books but if I got ALL the books out he would be lost.  This way he has a wide choice and it works for us atm.

Nuala, I LOVE your invitation to play.  I want to make one right now for DS!

I had a invitation to poop backfire on me today.  Put a duplo train by the bathroom potty and DS was SO taken with it he refused to get off the potty.  Then when I did manage to separate him from the train he waved bye bye (I said he could play with it next time he needed the toilet) and we went downstairs, only a short while later he was begging for the toilet like he was about to burst...and just wanted that damn train.  I let him take it downstairs, I now have the nightmare I never wanted which is a duplo mega-blox mix aaarrrgghhh!!

I found it interesting that some of the activities for gross motor skills are just what going for a walk here is like - there isn't really an option of walking on smooth ground, and obstacles are a given etc.
My mum is always looking for the easiest ground for him to walk on where as I tend to put things in the way :)
I built a wall of mega blox yesterday right across the living room so he had to step over it every time.  I might see how high it has to get before he pulls it apart rather than stepping over (am I cruel? :) )

I used a baking tray on top of a cushion yesterday to create a kind of balance board. DS loved it.  he is currently into making this kind of 'woah woah' sounds as he PRETENDS to lose his balance, and he leans side to side whilst doing it so I thought he would like a balance game.  He also stands on his scramble bug, the other day he let go both hands and stood straight up. I pasted a grin on my face saying 'ooh that's good balance wow'  whilst making a mental check of all the objects surrounding him and exactly how much damage they would do to him should he fall and land on them.  He's been balancing on my knees too, although 99.9% of the time he holds hands.  My mum would FREAK if she knew.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 21:00:20 pm »
I now have the nightmare I never wanted which is a duplo mega-blox mix aaarrrgghhh!!

LOL!!!! Drama much creations!? Drama much?! This may count as what they call a 'first world problem' :D (wow... this is the second post i'm having a giggle at you!! Sorry! Your house just sounds like fun and games at the moment!!)

Great thoughts on the toy rotation stuff...

Oh- and you are soo not cruel setting up a larger and larger obstacle... that's great for hig gross motor!! As well as planning, problem solving- and lets face it- a great comedy opportunity for you and you DP! (that's why we have kids in the first place after all!) You might do better than us- but there aren't HEAPs of outdoor GM activities for us at the moment with the weather- so any incidental things you can set up inside is probably good! ANd how funny are mums!! I had to think of the english ladies= my mum won't even let him play in the non heated room of her house during the day as she thinks it's too cold- let alone OUTSIDE!!! I told her that people play in the snow- she was in disbelief!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 21:23:36 pm »
I told her that people play in the snow- she was in disbelief!
Hilarious!

This may count as what they call a 'first world problem'
I call it a 'my mother doesn't listen' problem.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 21:33:03 pm »
Ooooo - I have been following a lot of these bloggers as well - and we have been having some fun  :).

Nurturestore is another great blog. I know tons more as well - can try and link some more tomorrow.

Becky - I think perhaps are older kids are a bit 'past' some of the invitation to play ideas. I did one with spoons and sea creatures and water beads and mini buckets. J played for 10 mins then went back to his Lego. Megan played for AGES  :).

Playdough is something I can easily adapt for both - we do small world type 'scenes' with J - and Megan does her own thing with it  ;). Cupcakes, playdough and sparkly candles keep her quiet for ages as well  :).

I have also been doing some of the more science type things with J lately and he is far more interested in that. We melted coloured ice cubes in the bath yesterday and he enjoyed that a lot. He loves running about and collecting things on nature walks. But a sensory play type bucket - nope. I actually used to do quite a lot of messy play with him last year (didn't know what it was called then though  ;)). Loads of tractors in the mud in the garden, and a bowl of lentils with his trucks etc in, and this year he really isn't anywhere near as into it. So I guess his age and stage is just moving on a bit  :-\.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 21:40:29 pm »
but there aren't HEAPs of outdoor GM activities for us at the moment with the weather
We play a lot of 'chase' here.  He negotiates the bar across the bottom of the kitchen gate on every run through and then sometimes I put a big bean bag in the middle of the floor which he throws himself onto - or I throw him onto :)
Just to mix it up a bit I chase him with the floor sweeper (today added a face onto it with stickers so I'll know the problem if he wakes with nightmares!) and then he jumps on and I take him for a ride on it.  I see it as wind surfing practice :)
We also do quite a few laundry basket rides too, I tell him to 'hold on tightly' and he better had because I go like the clappers lol
Wrestling is another of our favs.  yeah we spend a lot of time indoors through rainy days.  Such a relief that we have toddler groups to go to or we'd be trapped in house a LOT.

I have no idea why people want new borns to stay small - toddlers are THE best.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 02:53:20 am »
Yes, I agree that it is a bit like confiscation if she doesn't get what she wants...think I'll bring it out within reason. But maybe take it as a sign that I should take away some other things, if they're not holding her attention. I do limit DVDs - we only have three Little Einstein ones but she went through a phase last week of asking for them all.the.time (think after she was sick, when I did let her watch quite a bit) so they "went on holiday" for a week and now we're back to a max of one per day. There's plenty of other fun stuff we can do!!! I mainly say no to messy stuff when I can't give it the level of supervision it needs, eg when preparing dinner.

Yesterday we did coloured salt on a tray (blue this week of course ;)), with a small container, a small bottle and a plastic spoon. Good fun, again for about 20 mins, but required more active supervision from me to make sure the salt wasn't transferred too far and wide!

I loled at the 'invitation to poop'. And the wall (great idea though)! And the megablox-duplo mix fiasco. AND the balancing games that would horrify your mother! ;D ;D

Oh bother. Was just about to take F out for a run and kick-around of a ball and it's started hosing down. Hope it's short-lived. By happy coincidence, one of the very few clean open spaces around here that are good for playing is right outside my favourite café ;)  Ah well, might be indoor chase and laundry basket rides here today too. I dream of toddler groups!
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 05:49:00 am »
I have no idea why people want new borns to stay small - toddlers are THE best.

I often say this- they are of course really sweet when they are new borns- but so are kittens... i'm always amazed at the problem solving/cognition!! I find too that in my work i see the reality of children who have stayed cognitively as newborns- and it isn;t really what you want.. :'(

And the megablox-duplo mix fiasco

LOL!! This makes it sound even WORSE!!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!