Author Topic: Trialling cow's milk?  (Read 9030 times)

Offline Tecike

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little guys...
Trialling cow's milk?
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:34:19 am »
Hi all!

A short background info: we cut dairy from DS2's diet about 5 months ago. Since then I could reintroduce dairy products, like yogurt, butter, sour cream, he's fine with all those and tolerates even baked dairy. I trialled cow's milk in August for a week, but he went back to multiple NWs, so I stopped and sleep is OK again.

My question is - do you think it's worth trialling cow's milk from time to time? I'm giving him HAF right now, but TBH it's quite pricey, so it'd be great if he just outgrew this intolerance!  ::) And if he doesn't outgrow it, how long should I be giving him HAF? 2 yo?

Other types of milk, like soy and rice is even more pricey than HAF here, that's why we haven't changed it.

TIA for all the advice!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
Re: Trialling cow's milk?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:13:18 am »
I trial DS every 6 months, just after birthdays and half birthdays. It's unlikely you'll notice a change if you trial more frequently than this!

He still has HAF at 2yo and everyone is happy with that as it means he's getting the right amount of dairy. He drinks it with a straw or from a sippy though, bottles have been ditched  ;)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 21:11:49 pm »
If he is doing OK with milk products but not direct cow's milk would it be worth trying a normal formula? I assume it would be cheaper ad that it is not the same as drinking cow's milk IYKWIM?

Offline Tecike

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little guys...
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 18:31:50 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, I had some PC troubles...  :(

Thanks for the advice! I will do trials at half birthdays, it seems logical. I just thought it'd be worth to try as he's fine with all milk products...  :-\

TBH, I haven't thought of trying a normal formula, but it is worth a shot! I'll get some and will get back to tell you if it worked!  :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 18:52:37 pm »
Good luck x

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 00:17:44 am »
Hi, just last week my ped. said she suspects my DS has lactose intolerance. What is HAF?
Nini

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 00:19:44 am »
What is HAF?

Hypoallergenic formula.  In HAF the proteins are partially broken down. I'm not sure whether they have lactose or not though  :-\

The ones we have here are Nutramigen and Alimentum.
Elise

Offline Tecike

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little guys...
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:08:07 am »
Nini, we have Nestle's Nan HA 2 here. For the lactose intolerant we have lactose free milk and yogurt as well in Serbia, so I'm pretty sure, you can find some in your country, too!

Offline roseola

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:14:36 am »
Thanks! We elimated all dairy for about 1.5 weeks with some changes in BMs, I just reintroduced butter and he seems to be tolerating it. I'm going to reintroduce cheese and then yogurt. I so hope he can tolerate them too. He doesn't seem to miss drinking milk, but his diet is so limited w/o milk products!
Nini

Offline Tecike

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little guys...
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 19:55:10 pm »
Lucky you that you could reintroduce milk products so soon! When I cut all dairy from DS's diet, I was told to keep it for at least 6-8 weeks, as it takes at least 2 wks for milk proteins to clear out from the organism. Good luck to you!

So, we're on day 3 with normal formula and all is well so far, no extra NWs. I was just wondering how long I should keep with it to be sure he tolerates it? I bought a smaller package, it's enough for 5-6 days. Is that enough to tell for sure that he's OK with it?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 20:32:00 pm »
My DD is fine with all dairy except cow's milk as well... I also tried a standard formula and it took about 2 weeks for the intolerance to rear it's ugly head.

Given that he is fine with cooked milk in baking etc... you could offer regular milk after you have warmed it above 72 (this breaks down the proteins that are causing the issues) and see how he does...

Nini- Lactose intolerance is totally different from milk protein intolerance.  Lactose is found in all dairy products and someone with an intolerance to it will not outgrow it over time (as is often the case with MPI). 

Her is a link that gives an average amount of lactose in various dairy products - it will guide you in what to offer LO;

http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm

Offline Tecike

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little guys...
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 09:07:39 am »
Thanks, Kara! I haven't thought of that, but will try it as well after the standard formula!

Offline roseola

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 19:38:44 pm »
Thanks Kara! Super helpful!

And maybe I should have waited longer to reintroduce ??? ??? ??? I didn't ask :o
Nini

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 21:12:50 pm »
And maybe I should have waited longer to reintroduce ??? ??? ??? I didn't ask :o

Not really an issue with lactose intolerance hun... lactose doesn't hang around in your system like milk protein will - it takes 2-3 weeks to clear.

That said, lactose intolerance is actually quite rare in kids... what symptoms does he have?

Offline roseola

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 23:27:43 pm »
 He had loose stools and  complaining of belly pain before each poop. I brought a stool sample to ped. and she said "it is loose"...duh! Why else would I bring it  ;D ;D

She also said it not common in our heritage, but thought it was worth trying. Everything improved w eliminating dairy, but has not gone back with the addition of butter, cheese yogurt or ice cream.
Nini