Author Topic: 10 month old EW  (Read 4557 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
10 month old EW
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:19:48 am »
My DS (10 months today!) is sick with a cold, but whenever he is sick, he usually sticks with the same A times as usual. Anything less and I get UT naps which means the whole day is off.

Now this week we've had 2 EW, which have both occurred after a late PM CN. But I'm not sure whether they are OT or UT ???

Here were the days:

Thursday

WU 5:30
S 9:05-10:30
S 12-12:45 (fell asleep in Jumperoo :o)
S 4:20-5:05 (APOP in the stroller)
BT 7 - fell asleep at 8:30. Not crying but fussing on and off, having lots of trouble settling
NF 12:45
WU 5:55 (so a 9.5h night)

Friday

WU 5:55
S 9:00-10:25
S 1:45-3:07
S 7:00
NF 2:45
WU 6:20 (so an 11.5h night)

Saturday

WU 6:20
S 10:05-1:10 (ok I know this was waaaay too long, I let him sleep bc he's sick but obviously I shouldn't have - he also took a good 30-35 mins to settle for this nap)
S 4:40-5:10 APOP in stroller
S 7:45 didn't really hear him fell asleep great
NF 3:50
WU 5:30 (so a 9:45 night)

Usually when he's OT we have evening wakings and wakings during naps at 35 mins - we've had none the 2 nights that ended up in EW. But at the same time, he hasn't had THAT much sleep to get him UT, especially since he's sick, kwim? Although I have to say his A times this wee seem to be much longer - he used to be on about 3h20-3h30 and he's had up to 3h45 with a great nap afterwards. Maybe he's just had an A time leap?

He's also having a hard time settling for naps and BT - not all the time, but maybe half the time. Hard to explain and to know whether UT or OT. Can take up to 30 mins for a nap or BT.  Again this morning he had a hard time settling (15-20 minutes) but slept for a full 1.5h after.

WDYT?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 17:49:10 pm by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 10 month old EW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:40:03 am »
My feeling on this one is UT -- that's just more based on my own personal experience though -- I'd get EWs with James when we did a nap too close to BT (so basically not enough A time before bed) -- even though he was exhausted and needed the nap, without the good long A time before bed, we got an annoying EW.  I'd have better luck with just doing a longer A time and an early BT (how does he handle OT -- with some babies, you might just have to do a super EBT until he catches up -- which based on that 3 hour nap, he needs to do!).

Offline ENMS

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:58:59 am »
Yeah it makes sense Erin.

In the past, EW were always OT but I guess we may see more and more of these UT EW now...

Yesterday he had a normal day and we didn't quite get an EW but it was still early wake up :(
Elise

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:51:26 pm »
You also might have to look at capping one of your naps to shorten your day too -- 10 months is the point where a lot of babies hit the very earliest stages of the 2-1 --with 2 full naps, yor day starts I get very long (in your case on the early side of things) -- there's a sticky on the EASY FAQs I think (10-11 month sleep gone wonky...) -- I'll link later when not on my phone -- but it has some info about that.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:54:07 pm »
You also might have to look at capping one of your naps to shorten your day too

yeah absolutely - yesterday he did 2 x 1h30 naps but it fit only because he had gotten up so early... his day was 5h30-7h15 which I know it way too long.

thanks Erin I'll look at that sticky :)
Elise

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 23:18:10 pm »
yeah absolutely - yesterday he did 2 x 1h30 naps but it fit only because he had gotten up so early... his day was 5h30-7h15 which I know it way too long.
Yeah, hard to figure out which comes first -- the long days due to the longer naps, or the longer naps because of the long days!

Offline ENMS

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:27:54 am »
the long days due to the longer naps, or the longer naps because of the long days!

in general, do you see the nights getting longer once you start capping the naps?

DS is having short nights still, although not technically EW, and I'm wondering if capping the naps would help that?
Elise

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 18:09:57 pm »
It helps as long as you don't cap too far and end up OT ::)
Generally one capped nap and one longer nap is where you would want to be at this point.  Sometimes the capped nap ends up super short (like 20-30 minutes), just enough to get the to the next nap without being OT

Offline ENMS

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 18:17:29 pm »
Thanks Erin :)
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 19:32:16 pm »
Ok so I'm not capping yet and today is going like this:

WU 5:30
Nap 9:00-10:25
Nap 2:00-3:25
BT will be around 7:30

So I do realize that the day is way too long. But if I do cap the AM nap, he will wake earlier from the PM nap and I will have to make BT earlier, and won't that just result in the same wake time? How do I modify his shedule so that his day becomes 6:30-7:30 - I'm scared if I cap the nap I will make it to 5:30-6:30 ???
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:06:28 am by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 02:58:00 am »
I've used EBT to fix OT EW's :-\ It worked because the EW shifted back so far into the night that I could get him back to sleep and knock the OT on the head with a really long night, yk?

I think in this case, it'd be a matter of capping (and maybe cap the PM nap so you're 'banking' a decent nap in the morning first...) and doing BT at say 6:30. The idea is that the sleep missing in the day then gets shifted to the night again. Then after a longer night, you can push the A times a bit to shift BT later in increments.

I do wonder if you've got some OT building up slowly from the long days though...

Offline ENMS

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 09:54:03 am »
Wake up at 5 AM today  :o :o :( :(

I didn't want to cap yet because he's having a cold but I guess I just really have to.  He also had an A time leap last week or the week before. Suddenly he just wouldn't go to sleep when I put him down for naps and BT, when I extended those A times it came back to normal.

So for today, you'd allow him to have a nice AM nap, and then cap his PM at how long? 30 minutes? more? The 10/11 month sleep gone wonky sticky suggests capping the AM nap, does it make a difference? I'm also not going to let him nap his AM nap until 9:30. Lately I've been doing the AM nap closer to 9-ish which may not be helping with the EW ???

He didn't seem OT yesterday, but I can see what you're saying, a 9.5h night is really short at his age, even despite 3h of nap time. Should I instead keep his naps as is but put BT earlier and see what happens? Or reduce all of his A times? I'm so confused ???
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:12:22 am by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline becj86

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 10:18:46 am »
I'd take that first nap out to 9:30 trying to discourage the EW - good idea.

I personally would do the long nap in the morning - its peace of mind for you more than anything, and it doesn't really make a lot of difference til LO is refusing the PM nap which is when you'd cap the AM nap and let him sleep for the PM nap. Capping the PM nap also means you don't run the risk of having to cap both naps which is a surefire shortcut to OT-land.

I'd cap the PM nap at 45min and bring BT to 13hr after wakeup and see what happens. That's middle of the road rather than capping at 30min and doing BT 12hr after WU ;)

Offline ENMS

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 10:26:30 am »
Thanks a lot! :)

So I aim now to get an 11h night, correct? DS has never really consistently slept longer than that at night - some nights were 11.5-12h, but they were the odd thing rather than the habit.

And once I do get an 11h night consistently, I start pushing back the day in 15 minute increments?

I don't have a problem doing the longer AM nap, I agree it's less stressful, but I was kinda scared that the long AM nap was going to prolong the EW thing, but I guess that so long as I push back the nap as late as possible it won't be an issue, correct?
Elise

Offline becj86

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 11:41:13 am »
So I aim now to get an 11h night, correct? DS has never really consistently slept longer than that at night - some nights were 11.5-12h, but they were the odd thing rather than the habit.
Yeah, I think after about 5 months its a bit much to expect 12hr. Nice if you can get it and happens in the transitions 3-2 and 2-1 more often but 11hr is a good night.

And once I do get an 11h night consistently, I start pushing back the day in 15 minute increments?
I think so, makes sense to get your routine to be what you want before its where you want so at least LO is getting the sleep he needs even if its not the ideal timing, yk?

I don't have a problem doing the longer AM nap, I agree it's less stressful, but I was kinda scared that the long AM nap was going to prolong the EW thing, but I guess that so long as I push back the nap as late as possible it won't be an issue, correct?
That is my reasoning. FWIW, that was the case with DS, provided that first A time was pushed as far as it could go, he didn't EW unless it was an OT EW which is much easier to resettle IME.