Author Topic: Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys  (Read 7975 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 22:27:27 pm »
Have you ever had him checked by a lactation consultant or doctor who specializes in tongue ties??  poor eating could be caused by a TT for sure.

Offline kakacarmen

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:01 am »

Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Is the Gaviscon helping at all?
Hi sorry it takes me so long to reply, we have gone away to the far east to visit DS's great grandma. His feeding has since then gone from bad to worse, now i am happy just to get 5 oz in him each feed.
I have tried the gaviscon for a few days and i havenn't noticed any differences so I stopped after 3days.
The aptimal peptit is the only one he tried and I think you might be right, he doesn't like the taste of it, I used to mix my EBM with the formula and he took it ok in the beginning but as my milk supply dries up, he get more and more difficult to feed. I tried water the aptamil down a bit to dilute the taste and I thik it helped a bit. I can't really change the formula for at least the next week or so as we won;t be back til end of the month.
I have another post on the allergy forum and one of the mums suggested coconut milk as a source of calcium and wondered if I could try and mix some of it in the formula to mask the taste so he will drink a bit more??
The podee looks like a really good idea because he likes to look around when feeding and the bottle gets in the way, will definitely give that a try and getting one on order. Thanks for this suggestion as I have no idea they even exist!!:)

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19:15 am »
Have you ever had him checked by a lactation consultant or doctor who specializes in tongue ties??  poor eating could be caused by a TT for sure.

I haven't actually, but I don't think the doctors in here will do anything unitl he has dropped below a certain weight cos they keep saying his weight is fine (although I don't think it is) with the way he is feeding at the moment, I am not surprise he will drop some more weight to be honest, then I can see what they this time, I really hope they will do something this time

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 05:45:16 am »
I have another post on the allergy forum and one of the mums suggested coconut milk as a source of calcium and wondered if I could try and mix some of it in the formula to mask the taste so he will drink a bit more??

Really depends for this one... not all coconut milk is fortified with calcium.  Also, there is the concern of allergy (though a reaction to coconut is not overly common, you just have to watch for other cross contaminants like soy in the brand you choose).  That said, not all LOs will take coconut milk either - my DD isn't a fan at all... she refused a mix of 4 ozs formula and 1 oz coconut milk...

Where are you located?

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:48 am »

Really depends for this one... not all coconut milk is fortified with calcium.  Also, there is the concern of allergy (though a reaction to coconut is not overly common, you just have to watch for other cross contaminants like soy in the brand you choose).  That said, not all LOs will take coconut milk either - my DD isn't a fan at all... she refused a mix of 4 ozs formula and 1 oz coconut milk...

Where are you located?

We tried with coconut milk anyway because we are getting desperate to get just anything in him but it's not helping so we just went back to full formula...DS feeding is getting to a new level of little as I suspect that he is teething as well, and we are struggling to get even 10oz in him a day and he won't drink other fluids either. I have also noticed that his sucking is not very efficient past few days as I could see that he is sucking for 5min but only taken half an oz, I tried faster flow teat but not helping...you mentioned something about tougue tie, is it possible this could be something developed recently?
We are located in the UK but we are out in Hong Kong at the moment so there isnt a lot I can do apart from keep trying, we are going back in a few days.

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 13:06:55 pm »
I don't think a tongue tie would something that develops over time. Usually they are born with it.

http://www.tonguetie.net/

Elise