Author Topic: Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys  (Read 7967 times)

Offline kakacarmen

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:47:53 am »
Hi,
My DS will be 8 months in 2days :), he was EBF until around 7 months then we change him to bottle. When he was EBF, he wasn't feeding well at all and losing weight. Then after we changed him onto bottle, his weight improved as I could monitor the amount he has taken. But since the beginning, we had to distract him with toys when he's on the bottle otherwise he will push it out and wants to roll to his front and play, even after only drink half an ounce.  ??? I am afraid this is already turned into bad habit as I started to need to change more and more toys during the feed  :-\ , anyone got any suggestion what I can do?
He is currently on 3 feeds a day, 1 in the morning after wake up, 1 after lunch, 1 before bedtime and he has been having around 18 oz from the bottle each day. I can't put any dairy and soy in his solids as he is allergic to both. TIA

Offline barbaraz78

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
Re: Bad habit!! Won't drink unless distracted with toys
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:55:21 am »
Have you tried feeding him in the dark? When I was ebf this was the only way ds could have a good feed from 4 mo. Anyway, when time passes milk becomes less important and in few months you can start wirrying less aboutmilk inake because he will eat more solids.
Barbara

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 20:08:54 pm »
i feel your pain!DD was a nightmare when it came to bottles!!!it slowly improved though,if that makes you feel any better!
i found it worked better if i sat her on the couch & knelt in front of her on the ground, feeding her that way as opposed to on my lap.she ALWAYS holds the bottle cap though-it was our compromise!!!the xmas tree lights were our life saver in dec-they were a perfect distraction!i was dreading taking it down but she's much improved now!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 22:55:34 pm »
18 ozs isn't the end of the world :)  20ozs is the recommended min so he isn't too far off that really.

I agree with feeding in the dark - gives LO very little to be occupied with and they can get the feed in and move on with being busy babies :)

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 23:33:31 pm »
The other thing you can do is adding formula to his solids. Like mixing cereal or fruit with formula milk.
Barbara

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:09:56 am »
Have you tried feeding him in the dark? When I was ebf this was the only way ds could have a good feed from 4 mo. Anyway, when time passes milk becomes less important and in few months you can start wirrying less aboutmilk inake because he will eat more solids.

Yeah, I fed him in the dark from 3 months onward but still doesn't work and he's drinking less and less

Offline *happy*

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 09:12:51 am »
teething perhaps?
i was stressing myself out bigtime re DD's milk intake when i weaned her, but i gradually saw a pattern that she would drink less when she was teething, & go back to normal then after.during that time, i used to just add extra milk to all her food-it made it runnier than i'd haev liked, but at least i felt like i was gettign in that extra oz or 2 .xxx

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 09:22:46 am »
Feeding in the dark doesn't work for him and he won't let me hold him on my lap while feeding so I have always placed him on his chairs, carseat, or any flat surface with pillows, but he gets bored and then started to roll to his front all the time, so I started putting tv on and all sorts of toys to distract him, and now I think he has got to a point where I can't use the same toys anymore, only new things can distract him  :(

I am worried at this rate he might not drink at all when I have run out of entertainment ideas at bottle times... :-\

He also isn't that good on solids neither, he will have a few mouthfuls and push the spoon away but I think at the moment the most important is milk so I dont' wanna make a big issue out of it....

Offline *happy*

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 09:25:51 am »
does he take the bottle any better from other people?

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 09:29:25 am »
teething perhaps?
i was stressing myself out bigtime re DD's milk intake when i weaned her, but i gradually saw a pattern that she would drink less when she was teething, & go back to normal then after.during that time, i used to just add extra milk to all her food-it made it runnier than i'd haev liked, but at least i felt like i was gettign in that extra oz or 2 .xxx

He's not really showing any signs of teething at the moment either

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 09:33:42 am »
oh, and I also tried stopping the feed as soon as he push the bottle out without distraction and offer again every hour... and he ended up just having 7oz from 6am til 4pm all day then I got really worried and start getting the toys out again.....

Apart from this feeding problem, he is generally a very happy and active baby so I don't think he's unwell either

Offline *happy*

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 09:56:46 am »
sorry hun, i'm all out of ideas!FTM here too,so just feeling my way along.hpoefully someone else will have different advice for you.xxx

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 13:00:07 pm »
FTM
Actually, only me and DH has tried giving bottle, gonna get my parents to give a go next week when we go visit :)

Offline kakacarmen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 13:03:43 pm »
Thanks happy for your suggestions  :)
I do feel that I have kind of tried everything, just hoping it's a phase and it will pass

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 20:07:14 pm »
Has he reflux? Maybe he's uncomfortable after feeding so he doesn't like to.
Barbara