Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12  (Read 183028 times)

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 16:17:23 pm »
I think I did some rice cakes and toast then some veg and fruit sticks or wedges
*** Amanda ***

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 10:50:36 am »
Root vegetable wedges were a good early food for us (plus you can freeze portions for later). Baby sweetcorn was good cos it's easy to grip.  I also gave slices of apple and pear,  cheese,  chicken and pasta quite early on. But within a week he was just having what we had, so roast dinner, croissants, toast, all sorts of veg, new potatoes, sandwiches,  breadsticks etc. I also offered yoghurt and porridge on pre loaded spoons so he's not exclusively on finger food.  He only eats the yoghurt though! Oh,  just remembered,  sticks of cucumber (by themselves or dipped in houmous) were an early favourite too.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 11:17:42 am »
Thank you :)

We were out for lunch on Saturday and he was sat in a highchair but not very happy at all and kept trying to reach for my plate!! So, he had a piece of cucumber and sucked it to death!! Went straight from the tray into his mouth, but I don't think he actually 'ate' any, just sucked it :)

I'm wanting to start something as he's clearly hungry, but not sure I'm ready for full on BLW. Can you combine the two? I spoon fed him some mashed banana yesterday and he quite liked that, probably had a teaspoon or 2. He had some toast before that but he wasn't keen on the 'crumbs', and tried broccoli in the evening but that was a no go, as was mashed potato!

He's hungry, I'm sure. I think he needs some solids, and I like the idea of him eating what we do.
Catherine x

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 19:13:10 pm »
If you wanted to try spoons, you can load them up and let him try to get them to his mouth.
Is he sitting up nicely without being propped?  That's a good sign of readiness.
*** Amanda ***

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 19:15:01 pm »
No he's not quite, still needs a bit of support.
Catherine x

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 20:07:12 pm »
Personally I'd wait a little bit, then.  Even if you're spoon feeding, he needs to be sitting up pretty well to reduce any choking risk.  Your milk is enough to keep him going in the meantime :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 20:22:44 pm »
Yeah, I think he's nearly there but probably not quite ready.
Catherine x

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 01:22:13 am »
Hi everyone, DD is 5.5 months old and eating puree and baby cereal w/ BM once a day. I did BLW with DS and started at 6 months, I think! I really can't remember when you can start and I can't find my book. I'm going to take another look and then order another copy.

DD sits on her own, but not for a very long time. She is however VERY interested in everything anyone eats...just like her Mom!  :P
Nini

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 08:43:25 am »
It recommended to start at 6 months. I know a few (us included) stared a bit early if LO was really desperate to get to the food.  DS was 5.5 months and I just couldn't hold him off any longer (but we had no puree before hand, you might be able to hold off a bit if she'd happy with the puree). If you offer the food and they can pick it up and get it to their mouth then that's a pretty good sign of readiness.  Mine had only just started to sit unassisted and sitting exhausted him in the early days, I used to wedge a folded towel behind him in the high chair to give him a bit of help.

Offline roseola

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 01:04:41 am »
Are there any restriction with dairy? For example, when you give toast is it with butter? I cannot find my book anywhere!
Nini

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 09:31:27 am »
None that I'm aware of once they get to 6 months.  It's only fruit, veg and cereals before that though I think. We started with just giving jack the veg off our plate, or fingers of pear, root veg etc. By the time he'd got the hang of that he was 6 months anyway and then he had a bit of whatever we were having.

Offline creations

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 10:30:43 am »
Nini, it is suggested that babies should have full fat dairy products, so butter, full fat milk (or formula or breast milk), full fat cheese and cream cheese etc. Reduced fat products are not recommended at this age however if it was a small amount in cooking a family meal then I wouldn't worry about it - for instance if you made a batch of pancakes but wanted to use half fat milk then I don't think this would be an issue. As a guide then, yes use butter rather than low fat spread on toast.
You can also give toast dry or with other spreads such as home made pate (low or no salt, livers fully cooked), cream cheese, humus, puree fruit/veg etc or to dip in soups and dips.
hth

Offline roseola

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 18:24:35 pm »
It does help tons! Thanks! I'm so excited to get stared. DD had banana yesterday, so cute!
Nini

Offline roseola

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 00:29:26 am »
When your LOs start eating what the family is having for dinner does that mean you are cooking everything without salt?
Nini

Offline creations

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 08:20:18 am »
I did yes.  I stopped putting salt in things like pasta when it is boiling and used herbs/spices in stews rather than stock type things which are usually mostly salt.  If we had something where you couldn't avoid the salt then I either didn't give him that part of the meal (and made sure there was another part of the meal he could have, steamed veg) or gave a very very small portion and avoided salt the rest of the day.  Some things I took out his serving to cool down and then added salt or soy sauce or stock, extra/hotter curry paste to the adult meal whilst DS's cooled down. 
Humus DS liked but only shop bought (and prob because it was salty!) he never liked my home made no salt version so I just watched how much he had and didn't give him pate, canned tuna, baked beans, or lots of bread in the same day (bread is high in salt in the UK).  Although pate I was able to make a version without added salt, only the salt in cheese/cream cheese which seasoned it and he loved that.
I changed quite a few things, not just salt, but large chunks of veg in stews rather than small, ate a lot more oven baked wedges (sweet potato, turnip, carrot and white potato either unseasoned or with garlic powder or other spices or herbs instead of salt), different shaped pasta based on what was easy to pick up (there are hilarious photos of babies eating spaghetti but mine would be so frustrated if I gave him spag, he was a serious eater and wanted the food in his mouth without additional struggle - he likes spag now though) so twists or spirals, usually just making that as the family meal but some times making a separate serving for DS if we really wanted spag or tagliatele (sp?).  Mine still doesn't like mashed potato for example so he will have plain boiled potato with some butter or mint sauce on meanwhile I add salt or mustard etc to the adult potatoes and mash them. So, yeah I changed quite a lot really, not just the salt, but it didn't feel like a big deal and I'm sure it was less 'work' than making totally separate meals.
Lower salt intake is likely a healthier option for the whole family but if someone really wants the salt then adding after LO is served or at the table might be needed (I try not to put a salt cellar on the table because of course DS wants everything and I have to tell him he is not allowed that until he is older, seems a bit unfair to have it there, but we do at times).
hth