Author Topic: Stunted growth due to cutting NF?  (Read 9177 times)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Stunted growth due to cutting NF?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2014, 21:38:05 pm »
Hi Kate,

Thanks for sharing! Does the need to suck start from birth or does it change along the months?
As my baby didn't really need to suck in his earlier months but at 5 months now, he puts everything in his mouth and sucks/ licks them.

When we put him down his bed, he starts whining/ crying when he's tired. That depends if he's tired to start with, so it varies. But I would think on average it takes 10-20min.

I'd say that's all developmental, babies start to drool & saliva increase & they use their mouth more as that is their first "sensory" development. Everything goes in the mouth to "learn" & there is the teething element. Part of the mouth stuff will also be him getting ready for food.

The changes in how he goes off to sleep are also probably developmental he will be taking in more from his surroundings & might need longer transitional stage from activity to sleep. I found at that age it was when I started to spend time reading stories to my boys.

The odd day of skipping a nap is not uncommon & developmental stuff will impact sleep.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ideazec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 16:07:39 pm »
Lol...must have picked the wrong link off my clipboard!

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Usually the bottom teeth come first - sometimes you can see the white lines in the gums.

Hi Heidi,

Thanks a lot! That's really helpful

Lol the head banging response to my question was pretty funny though... I had a good laugh

Do you have any insight on the transition from 3hr to 4hr?
I'm on the 9th day, which is the 3.5hr and some timings seem really close together (the 4.30 feed is followed by a 6pm feed) while the last feed at 6ish to 11 dream feed seems too long.

Baby sleeps at 7pm and wakes at 8ish and can't sleep till 10!
Today he slept at 645, woke at 7.45 (so it's past 1 sleep cycle, doesn't it mean he should have successfully transitioned into the next sleep cycle which should last 45min? )

Anyway, he couldn't sleep and we gave him a feed. He sleep soon after at 10. He could finish both feeds at 9 and 11.

Please do share any views you have about transitioning.

Do we have to extend the transition if baby fails to adhere to the new revised timing? Does it mean he needs more time to adjust?

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 20:41:10 pm »

Hi Mama,

Thanks for sharing. How do you get the percentile heights for adults?

[/quote]

Hi, not sure if there is an official chart for adults, but if you look at the ones for kids, it goes up to age 20.  At that age, most kids have stopped growing and that would be their final adult height.  I've compared my height to a 18-20 year old female on the charts and it's pretty much on the 25th percentile curve.  Hope that helps.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 03:05:07 am »
Most bf babies take longer to hit a 4 hr easy than ff babies...however I am not sure how that works with a bottle fed infant on bm! Thing is bm is more digestible so I know my kids could not do 4 hrs between feeds until we had solids in the mix and even then it was hit and miss. Plus we never had a real bang on EASY by time that way, it changed from day to day. I followed EAS pattern but never really watched the time so was fairly fluid unless I was trying to squeeze in a feed around the school run!
Heidi

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:36 am »
I believe that if it is BM in a bottle it is the same as BF because it is the milk. I too found that my boys really didn't ever go to a 4 hour Easy, I didn't really no BW when DS1 was that young, but always tried the Eat/play/sleep ( as I was told it when DS1 was a baby) & then when DS2 was born all I worked on was making sure the "A" came before sleep... with DS2 I worked around DS1's timetable so I never overly worried about times, I think being 2nd child it was more about kind of knowing "this too will pass" & things changed month by month so I didn't really fine tune by the clock, more just followed his cues & so some days it would be 3h & others 3.5 & others 4, others 2.5h
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ideazec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 17:35:49 pm »
Hi Heidi and Kate,

Thanks for your replies. How would you know if your baby can stretch to the 4hr EASY?

We are on 3.5 transition today (2nd day) and it's terrible.
This is the supposed plan:

E- 7am (woke 645, ate 7am)
S- 8.30~9.00 ( slept 810 till 10, ate 1030)
E- 1030
S- 12.00 ~1230pm (slept 12.00 but woke 12.30. Can't sleep till 1.45 Feed)
E- 1.45
S- 2.30~3.00 (slept 2.50 but woke 3.20, slept 3.45 till 4.30)
E- 4.30
A- 4.30 to 6.00 (fell asleep at 5.10, woke him up)
E- 6.00
S- 6.30~7.00 (didn't sleep till 8.10, but woke at 9.30. Keeps crying , unable to settle. Fed him, slept again at 945)
DF- 11.15pm

So he missed 2 naps, he was fine with 3.15 hr EASY.
Does this mean I should slow down the transition?

What should I do?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 17:56:00 pm »
Personally I would stopped going by the clock time and feed when he is showing cues as it will give you a better idea what he is ready for. That may mean a variety of timings - I remember DD2 did a descending EASY as the day went on - 3.5 hr, 3 hr, 2.5 etc because it worked for her at the time. Sometimes we did EAEAS too if A times got too long and feeds couldn't wait until after a nap.
Heidi

Offline ideazec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »
Personally I would stopped going by the clock time and feed when he is showing cues as it will give you a better idea what he is ready for. That may mean a variety of timings - I remember DD2 did a descending EASY as the day went on - 3.5 hr, 3 hr, 2.5 etc because it worked for her at the time. Sometimes we did EAEAS too if A times got too long and feeds couldn't wait until after a nap.

Hi Heidi,

Thanks again! However my baby is no longer rooting and it's hard to tell when he's really hungry.

Anytime we give him a bottle, he can finish it.
So... We rely on the clock to feed now.

We are trying to transition him to a 4hr and it's horrible!!!

He was fine at 3.15hrs, now at 3.30hrs... His sleep is all over the place. Wakes 45 mins - 1hr into his naps.. Either wanting to play or crying loudly... He's cranky... And unable to pacify him!
NW 3-4 times daily!

The whole family is wreck now!! Nobody has energy and we don't know what we should do now?
Carry on the 3.30hr till he settles in? Or move ahead to 4hrs regardless? Or move back to 3.15hrs?

Also we are now using this 3.30hr instead:-
3-4hr EASY Transition – In 5 Minute Increments

However, my family is questioning why the 5.30 feed and top up feed at 6.30 is so close..
Shouldn't it be at 9pm for 3.5hr instead?

Anyway, my baby will usually wake up at 9 or 930pm daily.

Please can anyone advise me on what I should do??

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 19:44:11 pm »
We are trying to transition him to a 4hr and it's horrible!!!

My Babies never transitioned to 4hours, with DS2 it was because I tried to have a routine that fitted around the life DS1 needed & also because of the way my children slept etc... some babies just don't.

Please can anyone advise me on what I should do??

First thing is Relax a bit. Your baby hasn't read the text book & you need to learn to trust some of your instincts. If you feel that a 9/9.30 feed will work rather than at 6.30pm top up then go with that.  The more you get worried about it not working the more likely he is to pick up the 'stress' in your body.

I'm not good at working out routines, because TBH I'm not great at clock watching to follow, so I tended to work on "if it looked like my child was hungry & it had been about 3+ hours since I'd fed, I'd feed, I'd never look at the clock & go, ok lets wait 20mins until 3.30, that just wasn't my nature, but I might think "ok you are awake & happy & not looking for food so lets wait a bit before I feed you"
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05