Author Topic: Is there anything I can do to improve his mood?  (Read 12353 times)

Offline labrodyk

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Is there anything I can do to improve his mood?
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2015, 08:26:21 am »
Interesting day...he was fabulous. Only hopped out of bed at 7.30 (was dozing for a little while but was asleep at 7.15 which is unheard of). I tried a nap at 1.20 but he kept hopping out and then closed his own door and had some quiet time until I went in to check at 2 and he was wide awake. Jumped up and tried to change the moon to sun on his gro clock so I figured I should get him up. We watched a movie and had a nice arvo.

Bedtime, I pulled it forward 30mins and put down at 7. He was asleep in 20mins which again is unheard of.

i hope he doesn't wake early tomorrow wih the earlier bedtime and no-nap. Is this likely? Is this something I should encourage so he's getting more sleep overall or should I play it by ear?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2015, 13:01:41 pm »
Really depends...with his mood and a fab NND I wonder if the more restorative night helped (and the quiet time even if he didn't sleep). I would play it by ear and offer a nap but if he just takes quiet time then perhaps that is all he needs now.
Heidi

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2015, 01:49:06 am »
Thanks so much for the support! I didn't hear him but my sister did and said he was calling out for me a few times before midnight. I also found his door was closed this morning which he must have got up and closed and gone back to bed. Was awake this morning though when I went in at 7 and given his mood I think he woke much earlier.

Will offer his nap at 1 and see what happens.

Thanks very much.
X

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2015, 06:03:13 am »
So H did fall asleep about 10mins after pd at 1pm today but has been so incredibly miserable all afternoon. I'm finding that unless he watches TV from wakeup until dinner, he's a whinging, tantrumming, screaming nightmare. Is there anything I can do about that because 3.5hrs of TV each afternoon is not something I'd like to continue...

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2015, 13:13:20 pm »
Can you get out?  I always found DDs mood was much better if I dragged us both out to the park or somewhere like that x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2015, 13:27:47 pm »
Yes, getting out works here too, or just playing music instead of tv.
Heidi

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2015, 19:56:49 pm »
I don't drive so it makes things really difficult unfortunately. Will try and get him out of the house but usually he's so grumpy and upset he doesn't want to go anywhere or will try and go back to bed to go to sleep. Might try some other sensory activities today.

Last night we had a crying night waking around 2am which lasted a few minutes. Was about to go in to him but he settled. Just a little worried he's not getting enough sleep :(

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2015, 20:27:31 pm »
I appreciate that driving might make it difficult to go out somewhere a way away (& I don't know what kind of location you are in) but can you just head out in the garden (perhaps build a den with sheets and chairs to shelter from sun if needed and take some toys out or do water play under the canopy) or if it's not too hot now, go for a nature walk (if you're in the country).

We try and get out and walk every day with E, the exercise and the fresh air makes a huge difference to her mood, even just a walk to a place 5 minutes away makes a difference - a change is as good as a rested all that! :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2015, 19:50:47 pm »
Thank you so much for everyone's help, I've been implementing as much as I can but seem to be in sme crazy mess that I just can't get out of.

Wakeups are early and now he's crying and screaming from before 6am (although not every day). He's miserable most of the day and is having a nap from 1-2 capped. He goes and takes himself to bed for 'rests' or sleeps all day too. Gets his comforters, climbs in and I think he's happily playing but he tells me he's sleeping and to go away. Waking him takes me well over an hour to make him happy again. He's also super restless and crying and upset several times before midnight.

The other day we had a NND due to a family function and by 4.30 I was rocking and holding an uncontrollable 28mo who couldn't talk, walk, and actually went pale as his eyes hung out of his head. Wasn't a very fun afternoon but proof that he's desperate for more sleep. That night, after a 6.30pm BT he had a few crying NW  as a result of OT and woke early - rolling around from about 5.30 then chatting from 6/6.30 miserable and throwing tantrums all day.

I've just found out I'm pregnant too (about 6 weeks) so I feel like I'm being run over by a train repeatedly and I'm desperate to help my little boy get the sleep he obviously needs. I thought of letting him have a bit longer in the day since it doesn't seem to have helped at all capping it. He still takes 30-40mins at night to quietly go to sleep (regardless of PD) and still wakes early. I'll to be mindful of BT but perhaps 7.30 (5hrs A) would be enough?