Author Topic: Just started, tiny amounts but now pooing all day and night!  (Read 8207 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Just started, tiny amounts but now pooing all day and night!
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:44:38 am »
Hi, this is strange for me since when DS started solids he got constipated really quickly and so he had to have mostly laxative foods from the start. DD however has had more frequent BMs from the start, has been exclusively bf but I have a little oversupply so have had to block feed to overcome green watery poo, still doing that. Just before weaning, she had a couple of episodes of not pooing for 2 days and being uncomfortable, so I wasn't keen to introduce rice cereal etc right at the start, going for pear instead. So she's had pear, sweet potato and apple so far, tiny amounts as that's all she'll take, but is now pooing several times a day and at night again :( is this normal when starting solids? Does this mean she'll just have to have lots of apple, carrot, banana and rice?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Just started, tiny amounts but now pooing all day and night!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:52:35 am »
Well, I'd say it sounds normal for a LO to have changes in their poos when solids are introduced, I mean it will take a bit of time for her body to get used to it. But  do you think there is something else going on?
If you're concerned in any way or just not sure of the foods or the reactions I would scale right back (I know you only gave a little), perhaps go a few days without the solids to see if she can get back to normal, then just offer solids once per day and see what effect this has.  If there is something in question it's easier to experiment with timing and types of food now before she has a wider variety of foods and is eating bigger meals and more frequently. There's no hurry so just take it one step at a time.

Just because her guts seem to be reacting in this way now, it really doesn't mean that they will continue to react like this for ever.
(is green watery poo normal for oversupply then? Sorry I am not familiar. Have you had help with this or need more advice??)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:31 am »
Thanks! Have only been offering breakfast not long after first bf as I don't think she needs much anyway. Was hoping to get her to the point where she knows what to do with the spoon before we go away next week (not self feeding, just opening her mouth!), she's nowhere near a teaspoon yet, maybe a quarter, max! Yes, have had advice re block feeding both here and an LC IRL.

So, reading between the lines you reckon that these frequent BMs are not normal for starting solids and I should try a few days without for that reason? There's a possibility of teething as she's been unsettled and has sometimes calmed with teething gel, but although I ca see where the first two will break through, her gums aren't swollen and she's not drooling, might she just be good at swallowing it?

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 18:43:10 pm »
So, reading between the lines you reckon that these frequent BMs are not normal for starting solids
Well, whilst a change in BMs would be expected it does seem that there is something else going on. If you are only giving such a tiny amount and she is pooing that frequently I'd say it's either the teething or some possible intolerance. Has she shown signs of any intolerance whilst BF? have you needed to limit your diet at all?

I've read that the bad nappies when teething is a myth but the number of threads I've seen and number of people IRL who experience it when their LO is teething seems to offer evidence to out-weigh the myth (for me anyway).

As she's only just turned 6 months I don't see harm in stepping back for now and starting again in a week or two - perhaps after the holidays? Not all LOs take to solids immediately at 6 months, it's quite an individual thing, she might be more interested and respond overall more positively in a couple of weeks.

Do come back with an update though :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 19:31:21 pm »
Yeah maybe she's not really ready, I guess we've had pressure from parents who think that introducing solids after 4mo is delaying them already! Started 6mo after her due date as I'd hoped she'd then be comfortable with it before we go away, but she doesn't really seem to need it, except that she does seem to want more after her 2nd bf so I've just been topping up with another bf, thought I'd give her lunch then but somehow prefer the idea of introducing new foods in the morning. She's not yet sitting independently and hasn't doubled her birth weight, in fact her weight gain was tailing off a bit but I'd have thought that was a sign that she needs more milk rather than solids? With the green poo she's had stool samples tested for intolerances, all negative. I haven't tried changing my diet but tbh it's fairly consistent and her stools have been good with my usual diet, but other times green and/or mucousy. We put it down to oversupply as they seem better when she's feeding better, and block feeding definitely helps. She does seem to have had a growth spurt (since we last had her weighed) so maybe it's just my supply having to adjust back to normal again, might check that out on the bf board... Oh it seems like a backwards step to put a hold on solids for now, especially as we're staying with family for a couple of weeks and I know they wouldn't approve, but I know I shouldn't base our decision on that!

Maybe impossible to answer, but if we were to pause on solids, how long do you reckon it should take for things to go back to normal, if it really is related to solids? I mean if her BMs show no change after 3 days, say, would you suspect it's unrelated to solids, or do you think we'd need to wait longer than that? Thanks!

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 22:09:39 pm »
I'd hoped she'd then be comfortable with it before we go away, but she doesn't really seem to need it,
From the sounds of it she doesn't need or want it. You mentioned less than a teaspoon of food and not really opening her mouth for it. If she needed/wanted solids she'd be showing more signs of willingness or eagerness IMO (mine screamed at me every time he saw food for an entire month before I finally gave in at 5.5 months as he had just gained the strength to sit, when offered food he grabbed and shoved it straight in his mouth, sure signs of readiness!).
her weight gain was tailing off a bit but I'd have thought that was a sign that she needs more milk rather than solids?
She'll get more calories from milk yes, milk is always the focus at this age anyway but if she has a small appetite then I'd say even more so the milk than the solids.
especially as we're staying with family for a couple of weeks and I know they wouldn't approve, but I know I shouldn't base our decision on that!
Oh hugs. It's very hard when there is pressure from others and you feel they are criticizing your parenting choices.  A few things you might consider
1. practise now, out loud, what you will give as your stock response when asked/nagged about solids food introduction, eg "Oh yes I am so excited about starting solids with her, it's going to be so much fun finding out what her favourites are! Thing is she's just not ready yet, I did try her with a few bits but she wasn't interested" or "I'm really excited, etc, the most recent advice is the wait until they can sit up unsupported, she's not far off so I'm sure we'll be able to start soon" or whatever you feel comfortable with yk? I would try to throw in some sort of agreement with their enthusiasm so you aren't giving a direct contradiction on their parenting and your parenting. The thing is no parent likes to be criticized and many of the newer guides do tend to conflict with what previous generations have done (were told to do, did because the guides said to and they wanted to be the best parents), older generations don't want to be told they did it 'wrong' yk?  I tend to find difficult subjects much easier to deal with if I script and practise the words many times before hand so I'm not caught on the hop without a response.
2. If you feel comfortable and confident you might offer her a piece of finger food. Prob on your knee, sat right up straight and supported. Your family may be happy to see her offered some food but she's unlikely to actually eat any based on her lack of interest.
3. Just hold off a few days or a week and reintroduce when you are with your family. They'll see she only takes a little and isn't all that interested so this may help you, but also they will love to see her having some first tastes too.

if we were to pause on solids, how long do you reckon it should take for things to go back to normal, if it really is related to solids? I mean if her BMs show no change after 3 days, say, would you suspect it's unrelated to solids, or do you think we'd need to wait longer than that?
If there was no change in 3 days I'd prob wait longer personally. Depending what her poos are like and how long it continues she might need checking over with a health professional - I know you are the best judge of that and you've clearly been investigating her BMs for some time etc.

One thing I've just thought of - is there any possibility she is constipated and the poo she is passing is getting around the blockage, so more frequent but smaller, looser poos, does she have diarrhoea just now with these frequent poos??
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 22:12:14 pm by creations »

Offline trimbler

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:42:28 am »
Wow thanks very much for that considered and detailed reply!

Pretty sure she's not constipated, tummy seems normal and her stools are normal for her, just more frequent than they were a couple of weeks ago, more like she was a couple of months ago. Night time poos are annoying!

Not confident enough for finger food just yet I'm afraid! Just the thought of choking scares me...

Really can't decide whether to keep going or not, the last couple of days she's been grabbing the food end of the spoon and shoving it in, still doesn't actually eat much but the curiosity is there, and I'm not so fussed over whether she needs it (pretty sure she doesn't) but happy for her to start learning about it. But don't want to damage her intestines, if that's what these tiny amounts are doing?? Not too fussed about calories as I can't imagine she's taking enough to interfere with milk intake, given the timing of it? The last weighing was before we started solids and actually just before a feed, since the clinic was quiet - I usually have her weighed after a long feed whilst waiting! And she's definitely growing out of her clothes, so not worried atm.

She's properly opening her mouth now but doesn't seem to understand about closing it again to get the food off, she does have an upper lip tie but that shouldn't be an issue should it?

Oops must go wake her now to feed before preschool collection... Thanks again and also for advice on handling well meaning advice from family!

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 09:22:08 am »
she does have an upper lip tie but that shouldn't be an issue should it?
Sorry I don't know. I've flagged this up with the other mods so hopefully you'll have some more response soon.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 14:28:41 pm »
Ok thanks :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 19:35:46 pm »
Sorry another question, not sure where it belongs though! I've pumped and saved some 'fore milk' in 1oz portions for mixing with cereal, when the time comes, since I was pumping it off for a time anyway due to my oversupply issues. Now wondering whether I should just ditch that and instead use milk pumped at the end of a feed, as I'm concerned that the fore milk might just result in more of that green frequent poo? I had none of this at all with DS!

Offline creations

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 07:53:56 am »
I'll see if anyone can help with that too :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 08:45:02 am »
I'd use the frozen milk and if I did see any green poo then I'd stop. It seems like such a small quantity that I don't see  it making a big difference if she is getting her usual milk the rest of the day. And beside, milk is really not that clear cut in that it is just watery foremilk at the start of the feed and fatty hindmilk at the end. It will also depend on how empty or full your breasts were when you pumped among other things. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 10:33:48 am »
Thanks Ali, problem is we have green poo fairly regularly anyway so would be hard to tell if the frozen milk was the culprit. It was from when I was block feeding (still am) so hadn't used that breast for about 9h and I pumped 2oz about 2h before the dream feed as I wanted to take the edge off the letdown and try to increase the fat content of the dream feed as I was finding, among other things that she kept leaking her night time nappies as she had too much wee! That was a temporary measure until we bought the next size up, which can contain the night time wee but evidently not the new night time poo :( maybe I should try this pumping again to see if it helps with the night time poo, but travelling from Monday and really didn't want to have to pack the pump, besides it would be tricky to find somewhere private to pump whilst away. Then again I don't want to get into a pumping habit as this wouldn't be so great for oversupply, right??

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 20:31:44 pm »
No pumping would only increase supply further.

Did you try cutting out the solids for a bit?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 20:53:12 pm »
Yes we're giving them a break now and waiting to see if the poos return to more normal, however she's coming down with a cold now so that might not happen anyway until she's better!

So what I haven't mentioned here which may or may not be relevant is that she's on Ranitidine for silent reflux, which is usually under control but she had a flare up yesterday and I now wonder whether any of her unsettledness last week was reflux related. Have joined a couple of threads on the reflux board but no comments on this as yet so maybe either of you could offer some thoughts on this, particularly when you would expect reflux symptoms to worsen after an offending solid food? She's been having her tiny 'breakfast' around 8am and most of her unsettledness has been between 3-7pm, which in my mind would be too late for reflux symptoms related to breakfast? But could be gut irritation from breakfast? Yesterday it was definitely reflux but no breakfast so that can't have been to blame!