Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread-part 3  (Read 69937 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread-part 3
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 15:23:22 pm »
Hey ladies, I think we can officially join you here now ;) Not quite 18mo but definitely regressing :P Sorry haven't read back but will follow on from here. Lots of chatting at nap time now, some of it definitely routine issues, like when DH gave dd 30min morning nap today instead of 15mins but didn't tell me until she'd been messing around for an hour after I'd put her down for her pm nap ::) she then did a further hour of chatting crazily to herself whilst I went crazy stressing about it :-[ Anyway, we 're definitely here now! And remembering it was so hard and long with DS, not to try and scare anyone, but I practically lived on the 18mo SR thread for quite some time ;) makes it much easier to handle :)

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 19:35:44 pm »
First mum, so glad to hear that it's been quite calm. And that's great that you're a bit more rested and having time for yourself. Congrats on all the baby teeth that are finally through. Hooray! Honestly, I think with 6:30/7 BT, 5:45am is still a pretty good wake up time. But it's great that she'll play independently for a bit. Glad to get some good news on your end!

Trimbler, welcome back. Although I wish you didn't have to be back! Thanks for sharing about DS.

I'm a bit down today. I don't get what's going on with DS. His naps AND nights are short. He also wakes a couple times a night either mumbling or fussing. It's been over a week of this and before that, horrible NWs, EWs, etc..  His behavior is also more pronounced lately... more specific tantrums, clinginess, refusing to eat sometimes, etc.. I wonder if the canines are to blame but can't be sure as there is still no sign of them. Can you take a look and see if I should tweak anything? I might also post in toddler sleep. Could he be OT?  TIA

BEFORE
WU 6:00-7:00 (depends if there were long NWs)
NAP 12:30/1:00 (1.5-2.0hrs)
BT 8:00-8:30 (get 10-10.5 hr nights)

NOW
WU 5:30-6:30
NAP 12:30-2:00 or earlier (1.5 or less)
BT 7:30-8:15 (even if I put down at 7:30 he stays up until 8 or after)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2015, 21:13:41 pm »
I should probably hold my tongue... I just remember for ages I was convinced that DS must have been OT, but it turned out that actually his sleep needs had decreased overall and that his nap just needed capping and then his nights improved massively. But I'm still so scared of OT that I hesitate to suggest that to you unless you think it's possible :P The thing that finally convinced me is that he used to seem tired in the morning after the short night, but refreshed after his nap and able to keep going for way longer than I wanted him to in the evening. Anything similar with M?

Offline ginger428

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2015, 01:25:43 am »
When you say improved, do you mean regarding NW and/or lengthening? How much did you cap the naps?

I did feel he had tons of energy in the evenings before, with 10 hr nights and 2 hr nap, but he didn't seem tired then.  It's when he had short naps and seemed more restless during sleep. His needs may have dropped, but it's already low at around 11.5-12.5, so not sure how much more sleep to cut.

Not sure what happened last night. WU around 6:15, 1 hr nap at 1, and asleep for BT at 7:35. Had a 1 hr NW at 4:30, then slept til 6:30. OT from short nap and night? or was BT too early? Napped today for 1.30 or maybe 1.45 (I napped also and was so dead tired, I couldn't hear him when he woke... he was just playing around.) He had swimming this morning and then fought me for his nap. His A ended up being 6.5. Asleep tonight at 7:55 (5.15A). Didn't mess around much.

We'll see how it goes. Thanks for responding Trimbler!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2015, 18:57:10 pm »
Both lengthening and waking less. I just capped the nap gradually, I 'm too much of a scaredy-cat to do anything quickly :P Once I started capping though I began to notice some improvement I think, so plucked up the courage to cap a bit more, and so on... Tbh I'm never quite sure how to advise with LSN, but I know some mums on here have lots of btdt with that! Do you have a thread on toddler sleep?

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2015, 12:34:05 pm »
Ok I think I'm going to join just b/c I'm not sure what's going on :P we're technically 19months but gestationally 18.5m. We're getting about 12-13hr nights, I know I shouldn't complain, but naps are not predicable, especially with dd. We have set nap time at 1pm, wake up is generally 7:30-8ish and bt 7pm. For naps dd will often cry out around 1hr and will generally settle back, or sometimes she'll just do 1.5hr which seems abit short to me for 1 nap. I seem to remember ds1 doing 2-3 hrs. But now I'm thinking if he long night is the reason for that, what do you think? We've also been getting the odd. Nw with dd, could be twenty or just ghe regression...I don't really know much about the regression stuff, I don't remember it too much with ds1. How's everyone else?

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline ginger428

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2015, 17:45:22 pm »
Yay! Glad to see you here, Kayra. Now if only all the other BC babes went through the regression, we could revive the group here. Lol.

It doesn't sound like a regression but it does sound like sleep needs are changing. Maybe? Does DD do 2-3 naps ever or just 1-1.5 generally? It seems really hard to determine if sleep needs are decreasing... I think you have to rule out everything else. Which is difficult around this time, I'm assuming, because of development and its affect on sleep. Anything else out of the ordinary for L? (And yes, I'm jealous of the 12-13 nights. ;)  Wow!)

As I predicted, M has almost permanently shortened his naps from 1.45-2.00ish down to 1.10-1.30. Nights were still around 10-10.5 until the past two nights when they were around 11 hrs!  :o I'm shocked. We had a few nw this past week, but I'm almost certain it was OT from the holidays.  So maybe our regression is officially over? Ack! Now where do I post and hang out with my BW friends? Haha.

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2015, 21:31:21 pm »
Haha ginger, you can always just support us here ;) glad to hear he's doing 11 her nights! Gosh you have long days, I find it hard enough to get thru the day and we basically have 11hr days with a nap in the middle, not sure I'd cope with a 13hr+ day! Looks like M is preferring to lengthen his night and shorten his nap? He does see, to have always been more of Lsn kiddo, I dare say he'll drop the nap on the early side too...
She has a few times done a 2-3 her nap, overall I feel that ds would sleep longer, he does seem higher sleep needs, but then about 8 months ago she was sleeping more than him...so who knows! Like you said it's hard to rule out other stuff as teeth are an issue for sure too. She had a longer nap today, we'll see if it effects the night...

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline trimbler

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2015, 23:30:20 pm »
Hey Kayra :) Sounds like they're doing pretty well really? So 14-14.5h TS? I think that's roughly where we're heading, however with all our travels over Christmas and noisy families disturbing naps, we ended up seriously OT so we're just trying to catch up a bit now we're back home, she certainly won't manage on just one nap consistently until she's caught up a bit, really hoping she will soon though... So far she seems to be able to get through one or two days, but then the next morning she's really cranky, even if she seemed to have a good night. But that's 2-1 rather than 18mo stuff - although I think the latter was also partly the cause of all the horrendous sleep whilst away! Really want to go to bed, but she has this frustrating habit of crying/screaming just when I want to, DH settled her whilst I was in the bathroom so just giving her a chance to settle back properly before going in there to my bed... I'm OT too :P But lots of lovely development otherwise so can't complain too much ;)

Offline ginger428

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2015, 00:51:55 am »
Kayra, how did the night turn out? Hush your mouth, Kayra! About dropping nap early.  Lol. But I know you're right, and he probably will drop his nap early.  It's okay, at least I'll have my days back again and can do fun trips and such. =P

Trimbler, I hope she does catch up soon... how was it today?

Offline trimbler

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2016, 20:49:50 pm »
Well, she woke not much before 6:45am, which was nice, since I'm hoping to move 'get up' time to 7am from tomorrow... She was pretty tired though, so I gave her 15mins morning nap and then it took her 45mins playing to get down for the pm nap, we woke her in the end after 1.5h as I didn't want her struggling with BT but she was really tired and cranky for most of the afternoon :-\ Seemed to settle straight away with BT though, so we'll see what the night brings... She did seem very clingy to me today though, especially at nap times, we've had the last week and a half all together and then I worked the last two days of the year with DH in charge at home, and missed her BT on New Year's Eve so guess it's hardly surprising if she missed me!

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2016, 11:24:26 am »
Yeah they're doing well overall, maybe hat seems like regression stuff to me is teeth. Dd had another couple of settled nights, one of them she cried in a way that made me wonder if it was a night terror or sthg, it's rely for that though isn't it? They've cut some new teeth-last incisors thru finally- poos seem more normal too so may be that's what all the fuss was about..,.?
Ginger, sorry :P
Trimbler, have you done any single naps then yet? It's hard to make that final move!

Angel, April 2011

Offline trimbler

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2016, 20:04:14 pm »
I don't think night terrors are unheard of at this age ??? :-\ Glad things are stabilising now :) I think DD,must be teething again, horrible poos :P

Yes we've had some one nap days, but any more than two in a row seems to lead to a very cranky girl the next morning, even if the night seemed good. First day back at the childminder today and she pulled a massive 3h nap :o :D Shame she won't be able to do that again really, it was only possible because CM was only looking after her and didn't have to collect DS from school as he goes back tomorrow - so I took him to the science museum today :)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2016, 03:47:59 am »
Hi All,

We are still trucking along here.  We've just had quite a nice period of calm and overall sleep has been pretty good.  My lo I think is lsn ??  we are averaging 12-13 in total and have been here for awhile.  Not sure if we have hit a blip or if I need to tweak so keen for your advice.  I had mentioned to a friend today that my lo has started waking in the night again and she thought maybe her bedtime was too early?  What do you think.

Nap is 12:30pm for minimum 1.5 max 2.5
On the boob at 6:30 asleep by 7 (very sleepy if not asleep after roughly 15-20 mins of active feeding)

We are getting nw that are usually about 7 hours after she goes down.  Around 2:30am.  Pretty easy to resettle but its usually only for a couple of hours, generally again at 4:30 and then usually only for another hour max.  Last night was a bit different with 1am 3am 4am 4:20 and 4:45 I'd had enough so brought her into bed with me and she slept till 6:45.

Do you think she could be ut?  I've thought for ages that her overall sleep is to low as when I give in and bring her into my bed she will generally sleep much longer bringing her night time sleep around the 12 hour mark instead of 10.5.

We've had 4 days of this really unsettled wee hours. She is eating like a horse, growing before my eyes and I think we are getting at least 2 if not 3 new words a day plus sentences are coming together.  We are 10 days into no sleeping bag for all sleeps and our nights are quite warm.  Her room sits at around 21 at a minimum now.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 14:37:26 pm »
Just wondering about that nap - is it more often 1.5 or 2.5h? Are her nights worse if it's longer or shorter? Is she more tired in the morning or evening?